JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My money is on either a botched trigger job or foreign material in the holster. In either case, it's still concerning. I have that holster for a P320 that I no longer use. I'm mean, it's not like he was an FBI agent who loses his gun trying to bust a move and then has a negligent discharge.

My first thought was...how did that lady get there with latex gloves on and a wad of gauze, faster than a speeding bullet?

I do not like to carry in positions where this is a possibility, even with my SA revolvers.

I don't know that I agree with just as badly. Do you mean the amount of damage

You can give yourself a life threatening wound, cripple yourself, or cause major damage. Granted, you won't likely blow your nads off, but its not a gaurantee you won't bleed out if you run a hollowpoint down your leg from top to bottom.

At this point, AIWB is like motorcycle helmet laws.... there is a subset of people that will argue blue in the face that there is no significant benefit to wearing a helmet (carrying OWB, IWB, shoulder, etc) and there are actually safety benefits to no helmet (AIWB).

Let Darwin sort them out.

Just call me Darwin... I appendix carry with a Cook's holster just because of it's belt clip, I can easily place the holstered weapon, holster and all where I want it. I can take the holster off with the gun still safely holstered.

I spend half my time out and about driving it seems. I need to get to my gun while seated. For me this means appendix carry seems best. With Appendix, carrying a shorter barreled gun is more comfortable. I carry a XD40 SC usually, but have a XD45 SC or a Taurus PT-111 G2 9MM

I do pocket carry a lot but that limits me to my G-33 or a XDS, which I have to fish out.

I can carry my 327 LCR IWB or OWB about 4 O'clock, In Crossbreed holsters, I can use any of those Cook's there IWB too.

I just watch what I'm doing, keeping that trigger clear is paramount.

Last Edited:
At this point, AIWB is like motorcycle helmet laws.... there is a subset of people that will argue blue in the face that there is no significant benefit to wearing a helmet (carrying OWB, IWB, shoulder, etc) and there are actually safety benefits to no helmet (AIWB).

Let Darwin sort them out.

Even for guns with an external safety?

Even for guns with an external safety?

External safeties can fail or be switched off unintentionally.

The 4 rules of gun safety should be exercised at all times, with the exception of cleaning and maintenance. AIWB violates one of those rules. External safety does not negate "don't point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy."

This is personal opinion of course and people can do whatever pleases them. With it comes increased risk that I don't think is offset by significant reward.

Maybe we need some more stories/data about how the "super fast" AIWB draw saved someone's life to offset these NDs.

External safeties can fail or be switched off unintentionally.

The 4 rules of gun safety should be exercised at all times, with the exception of cleaning and maintenance. AIWB violates one of those rules. External safety does not negate "don't point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy."

This is personal opinion of course and people can do whatever pleases them. With it comes increased risk that I don't think is offset by significant reward.

Maybe we need some more stories/data about how the "super fast" AIWB draw saved someone's life to offset these NDs.

Hard to argue againt that, its a real catch-22.... AIWB is super concealable, easier to retain.... Its not going away for the few safety incidents thats happened.

Ive heard there is a proper method for holstering aiwb that is taught in advanced classes (the beginner class I took aiwb was not allowed....) that involves a hip thrust to clear the barrel axis from the body when holstering.

In my class we were taught to sweep our hand between the gun and body after holstering (owb, iwb) to check for clothing that may have been snagged into the holster during holstering process. We had to do it every time.... The same would apply for after holstering with aiwb rigs.

It would be good if a professional instructor could verify there is a way to safely use an aiwb holster.

It would be good if a professional instructor could verify there is a way to safely use an aiwb holster.
There are 2-3 I found on You Tube awhile back. They even use laser's to show how it can be properly done w/o flagging yourself.

If so then theres nothing wrong with aiwb, its a training issue.

Except it violates the rule when drawing from sitting or bent positions. The case could be argued that while in holster it is an acceptable amount of risk to point the barrel at yourself. Yet at some point you will need to draw, and unless you're standing with a hip thrust forward position, that draw will immediately violate pointing the barrel at yourself.

If you start with a hip thrust, that's quite the opposite of good shooting posture or a natural posture at all, which may negate the draw speed advantage. Retention in a concealed situation is not significant I'd think. Also a retention struggle is extremely prone to discharges and I'd rather take that discharge on my hip.

Except it violates the rule when drawing from sitting or bent positions. The case could be argued that while in holster it is an acceptable amount of risk to point the barrel at yourself. Yet at some point you will need to draw, and unless you're standing with a hip thrust forward position, that draw will immediately violate pointing the barrel at yourself.

If you start with a hip thrust, that's quite the opposite of good shooting posture or a natural posture at all, which may negate the draw speed advantage. Retention in a concealed situation is not significant I'd think. Also a retention struggle is extremely prone to discharges and I'd rather take that discharge on my hip.

Those are all good point, this is a good conversation to discuss.

Im not advanced trained to say, but IMO if your seated or bent over and need to draw.... I dont think the risk of sweeping would be much less or avoidable with any other carry mode. The easiest exame is in a car and the threat is drivers side window.

A while ago I google you tube vids on that and learned sbooting from a car is a whole new level of advanced training.

The average person probably will never pay to get that far with professional training... One can argue that if needed, odds are low enough the average person isnt going to shoot themselves responding to a threat and the risk of such is far lower than not carrying. Aiwb is far more efficient for those that drive a lot than trying to safely draw from 330 iwb with a seatbelt on.

I agree that there are some good points on both sides here.

From a 3oclock or 330 iwb carry, a draw in a car to meet a threat will sweep your legs, but more than likely down low on your thighs. Accessing the handgun at the 330 position may be difficult as you have to contend with a seat belt buckle. Either way drawing from a seated position in a car is extremely advanced and fraught with issues. I brought it up because a previous poster mentioned they carry aiwb for this reason.

NDs do happen and I like to keep as much safety margin as reasonable. For example I won't be ankle carrying my primary concealed weapon. I think AIWB doesn't have enough safety margin or benefit for me to consider it worth the risk.

Maybe helmet laws wasn't the perfect analogy.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top