JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Holy cow this is scary. This was a holstered weapon that discharged as he bent over. Weapon was a G43 and the holster was a G Code Incog. So both are generally regarded as high quality items. It's unknown so far what went wrong...holster somehow failed? Caught some clothing on the re-holstering? Catastrophic failure of the weapon?

Guy is recovering and will apparently be ok. But damn he's lucky.

VIDEO: Holstered Pistol Discharges...Negligent or Accident? - The Truth About Guns

I carry an LC9s with a thumb safety for a few reasons:

1. I don't like the Glock style trigger non-safety when I'm carrying with a round in the chamber. I've seen too many accidental discharges (and I do mean accidental). Safeties were invented for a reason, and for 60 years nearly every time I've pulled a trigger on a live round I've moved the safety to "off" first. That habit is now in my genes.
2. I also carry a 1911 at times and having a thumb safety on my LC9s means all the same controls are in all the same places on my pistols. Everything is automatic and I don't have to stop and think which pistol I'm using.
3. I'm not Doc Holiday or Captain America. I don't want the constant need for weapon awareness that a professional law enforcement officer needs to maintain. The unlikely savings of a few milliseconds to flip off a thumb safety is not a good trade-off against the lack of a manual safety and the possible mayhem that could result.

2. I also carry a 1911 at times and having a thumb safety on my LC9s means all the same controls are in all the same places on my pistols. Everything is automatic and I don't have to stop and think which pistol I'm using.
To expand on #2, suppose that I carry a Glock 90% of the time but the other 10% it's the 1911. So I go to the range and I train with the Glock. I practice a rapid draw and fire. I get really good with the Glock. Now the next time I take the 1911 instead and the SHTF do I forget that there's a thumb safety on the 1911? Do I find myself trying to pull a trigger that won't move?

3. I'm not Doc Holiday or Captain America. I don't want the constant need for weapon awareness that a professional law enforcement officer needs to maintain. The unlikely savings of a few milliseconds to flip off a thumb safety is not a good trade-off against the lack of a manual safety and the possible mayhem that could result.

Agree, this is similar to my take on the external safety debate. Im not a LEO, just a civilian.... Whos odds of actually needing a gun are so small unlike a cops. As a civilian, safety takes a higher priority and I like being able to lock the gun out entirely. There are other factors to consider too, like if one has a family with kids or other persons not trained (yet) in safe gun handling. The extra time to drop a thumb safety on the draw is virtually non-existant once its in your muscle memory and like mentioned not a good trade off to the additional risks of no safety lock.

The manual thumb safety is very underrated these days...

There is a mall ninja mentality out there that says that "anything a cop or an 'operator' needs is something I need to have".
Police and operators who have an AK sometimes just have basic furniture and iron sights... I need basic furniture and iron sights. o_O

Course then there's the Chicom crap like:
img-ak-47_scope_and_mount_combo.gif

Talk about deadweight. :eek::D:rolleyes:

An AK reciever cover scope mount.... Lol.
Most are utterly useless... The beryl's rail is better, but then again they designed it and the beryl to have the rail (its attached to the rear sight base and rear trunnion is cut out for the rail). TWS and Zenitco work, but not cheap and Zenitco is better.

But those other ones? Useless, optics weigh too much to be put on the top cover. Only thing you can really add to the top cover is a rear sight. o_O

Ridiculously so IMO. I'll stick with an Ultimak/Micro combo or RS regulate for optics to on the receiver, both are reasonably priced and solid performers.
Only time either is worth the money (zenitco is better designed than the TWS) is if you don't have a side rail... But the side rail is better IMHO. You can always take the optic off the side rail and it will always return to zero, if its a good mount.

Well I am set up to carry my Taurus PT-111 with external safety Appendix too, I know how to use it or the external safeties on my 1911's, Shield 45, and several others. I am familiar with safeties. I am not a fan of them, but I can use them.
I spent 24 years on active duty with the Army.....we had safeties.

The PT-111, both 1911's, my Colt Mustang XSP, the Shield 45, 22/45 Mk III, SR-22, PMR-30 and other handguns with external safeties along with all rifles I have purchased or concocted in the past fifteen years have safeties.

But I prefer defensive handguns to be a trigger pull away from "Bang", Yes my plastic Springfield's, XDS and XD Mod 2's have a grip safety, but my LC9s Pro and Glock 33 do not have any external safety other than the trigger. My revolvers, LCR 327 Federal, S&W 38 and 22 Magnum J frames have no safety

They are there for MY safety, not I for their safety.

Well I am set up to carry my Taurus PT-111 with external safety Appendix too, I know how to use it or the external safeties on my 1911's, Shield 45, and several others. I am familiar with safeties. I am not a fan of them, but I can use them.
I spent 24 years on active duty with the Army.....we had safeties.

The PT-111, both 1911's, my Colt Mustang XSP, the Shield 45, 22/45 Mk III, SR-22, PMR-30 and other handguns with external safeties along with all rifles I have purchased or concocted in the past fifteen years have safeties.

But I prefer defensive handguns to be a trigger pull away from "Bang", Yes my plastic Springfield's, XDS and XD Mod 2's have a grip safety, but my LC9s Pro and Glock 33 do not have any external safety other than the trigger. My revolvers, LCR 327 Federal, S&W 38 and 22 Magnum J frames have no safety

They are there for MY safety, not I for their safety.
What convinced me about the need for an external safety FOR ME was the video of the guy in a gun shop who re-holstered his Glock while wearing a windbreaker with a drawstring at the waist. The toggle on the drawstring got caught in the trigger as he was re-holstering, EVEN THOUGH HE WAS LOOKING AT IT, and it went off. I don't wear the same uniform every day. My clothing, as well as other factors will vary from day to day. I want an external safety.

Another factor is that I have 3 yo and 7 yo daughters. What if once in a million times, for some unforeseen reason, the weapon falls on the floor and (despite training) they reach down to pick it up before I do? I don't want just a trigger "safety" between them and a discharge.

100% agree with zigzagzeek, i want a safety lock for the same reasons and more. Again as a citizen im not likely at all to even need to use a gun in my life, and i know that once its in your training, disengaving the thumb safety on the draw adds no time to the draw.

Well I don't "Holster or Re-Holster" I put my gun in the holster, ready to shoot, and then put the holster, gun and all in place. If I have made a Draw, it was because I thought my life was in danger. I am in no hurry to change my readiness until the danger is for certain past. Then I remove my holster, place the gun in it and place all back where it belongs. If you can't do that with your holster, then you have a poor holster.

I use a Cook's holster because of the wide clip that they seemed to pioneer, now many others use that same clip. The Kydex holster completely protects the muzzle and trigger. The clip has a wide angled hook that is easy to snap on and yet easy to remove if I need to.

Now you can find many with a similar clip. I can use it at 3 or 4 O'clock too if I wanted.

I have a Crossbreed Single Clip Hybrid, leather with a thinner Kydex shell that really only works at 2 or3 for my only IWB carry revolver. It would require re-holstering with the holster already in place. Easier to use a OWB slide style Crossbreed (They were the only ones I found to make a holster for a 327's longer cylinder) Cook's does not make one for a 327. Local custom holster makers don't offer the clip, or I'd get one made for it to use Appendix

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads