JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately, when someone you think you know well and trust is close enough to touch you, turns on you and strikes you with a killing blow, stabs or shoots you, s/he has the element of surprise as a major advantage over you, and all the combat training, expertise and skill in the world probably won't do you any good. I don't think this poor woman had a chance in hell of surviving this attack.

You're right about surprise attacks, experts are still human. As for the woman, we weren't there, so we really don't know what the true story is. Keep practicing.
Sifu

Do you work in a juvenile or tribal facility? I got my start in prisons and we didnt have anything but keys, cuffs and radios. I definitely know the feeling of being on DVR everywhere with hug-a-thug admin. Even with that, we were allowed to use whatever means necessary once someone became physically combative. PM me if you dont feel like putting it up on the thread.
How do I send a pm?

Unfortunately, when someone you think you know well and trust is close enough to touch you, turns on you and strikes you with a killing blow, stabs or shoots you, s/he has the element of surprise as a major advantage over you, and all the combat training, expertise and skill in the world probably won't do you any good. I don't think this poor woman had a chance in hell of surviving this attack.

This was an interesting (albeit sad) thread to read and I think this might be the most accurate assessment of the situation. Further, had she bought a gun there would have been the issue of keeping it safe from her child. I know now that I have kids my guns are next to impossible to get to. The chances of them hurting themselves with my guns is far greater than any "outside threat".

Given how this thread reinforces how incredibly important training is it makes me wonder about how you can't get a license to drive a car without training and passing a very basic skills test but you can buy a gun, with zero training. Hell, even my CCL class was a joke.

I shoot competitively and when I train at the range I'm always astonished at the lack of training of the general gun owning population. Just basic stuff like muzzle down range at all times.

Why isn't training part of owning a gun? Why isn't it required?

There's talk about mind set. Very few people have that warrior mind set, but there is a substitute--and that is constant training. Yes, enough training and if attacked, your body will take over because of your training, it makes your moves reflex action. Trouble is, many think that because it's very clear in their heads and they practice once a week, that they're ready. That's far from reality.
Sifu

Like Mike Tyson used to say Everybody has a plan.... till they get punched in the nose

How do I send a pm?
Click on the user's name to the left of their post. It will open a dialog box, click on "Start a Conversation."
NewConvo.png

MJB, I wouldn't call it bullsheiit because, IMO, studying any martial art is a discipline and an important piece to the repertoire. Doesn't mean the student is of the right mind set. I think to learn street fighting, and hone your attitude, you have to practice it.
I do disagree on the importance of being an aggressor. I've never trained in martial arts, but having been in enough street fights, I learned aggression without commensurate skill can get your bubblegum kicked. Out of necessity, I learned to study my adversary, to be brutal when the opportunity presented itself and most importantly, to walk away unless there was no other choice.

Had I studied martial arts, I would have put myself in harm's way more often, been more reckless, and probably lost more fights.
You like fights? It's my sport of choice. I'm not a fighter by any means,but I like watching MMA.
It's a lot of great athletes who practice a wide variety of martial arts disciplines. (very few akido practitioners,btw) Wrestling being the dominant practice just ahead of BJJ.Wrestlers seem to work harder and have a 'don't quit' attitude.
BUT!!! Thee most highly trained fighter with all the black belts in the world hanging on his dojo,can get in there and take a punch to the face and fold.
Seen it in many fights.Had great potential and didn't have the heart after being punched
What I am saying is when a highly trained person who had only trained pulling punches,goes out to the real world and the attacker isn't playing fair,what happens?
Golly,he didn't pull that punch and it hurt!
Or,MOFO that hurt and pissed me off!!

You like fights? It's my sport of choice. I'm not a fighter by any means,but I like watching MMA.
It's a lot of great athletes who practice a wide variety of martial arts disciplines. (very few akido practitioners,btw) Wrestling being the dominant practice just ahead of BJJ.Wrestlers seem to work harder and have a 'don't quit' attitude.
BUT!!! Thee most highly trained fighter with all the black belts in the world hanging on his dojo,can get in there and take a punch to the face and fold.
Seen it in many fights.Had great potential and didn't have the heart after being punched
What I am saying is when a highly trained person who had only trained pulling punches,goes out to the real world and the attacker isn't playing fair,what happens?
Golly,he didn't pull that punch and it hurt!
Or,MOFO that hurt and pissed me off!!

Nope, never have liked (being in) fights. I do appreciate the skill I have seen in what few MMA matches I've watched on TV.
IMO, wrestlers I have known were, pound for pound, the meanest, toughest mofos I have met. Got into a tangle with one and he folded me in half within 1 minute and inflicted intense pain. Fortunately he didn't have an axe to grind.

Here's a graphic video showing a mentally disturbed man with a large kitchen knife that is surrounded by armed police and manages to kill one and wound a couple more in a matter of seconds.

Some where along the line I picked up the wrist lock techniques and add these in when I teach the blocking techniques for my students. These techniques open up an entirely different world when added to the blocking and counter attacking techniques. My students love these! Wrist locks can be applied into various over and under the arm and behind the back stand up arm bars--then whittle the opponent piece by piece with strikes and low kicks.

Once you're in martial arts to stay, it opens up an entire new world for you; very complex and interesting. If you're training in traditional Aikido then you're using the big circles. There's a styles that is called street Aikido and they practice small circles. The idea of course, being faster and being able to handle more attackers faster. I had to create my own ground because it was too difficult for me (BJJ) being only 5'2" and slim. But I have now 51 ground that works for me perfectly. Like i said, there's a lot to learn.
Sifu

as far as I know traditional Aikido.... except they teach me that the better I get the smaller my circles will be.

I dont think I would call it "street" Aikido though, thats why im adding BJJ and kickboxing to my training. It just sucks that I have to go to 2 different places to train.

This was an interesting (albeit sad) thread to read and I think this might be the most accurate assessment of the situation. Further, had she bought a gun there would have been the issue of keeping it safe from her child. I know now that I have kids my guns are next to impossible to get to. The chances of them hurting themselves with my guns is far greater than any "outside threat".

Given how this thread reinforces how incredibly important training is it makes me wonder about how you can't get a license to drive a car without training and passing a very basic skills test but you can buy a gun, with zero training. Hell, even my CCL class was a joke.

I shoot competitively and when I train at the range I'm always astonished at the lack of training of the general gun owning population. Just basic stuff like muzzle down range at all times.

Why isn't training part of owning a gun? Why isn't it required?

Why isnt it required? Because its a constitutionally protected specifically recognized *right* - not a privilidge like driving is. Big difference.

You cannot legislate common sense despite politicians belief otherwise. Should you get training if you buy a gun, yes. Should we let the political class mandate it? Hell no.

Well telling your student that just your training will save them may kill them
Just sayin
95% of people will never know real combat and a few maybe once in their lives. So the only thing they have is training. If you train enough for reality and a street attack happens, your training should take over and save you. I'm speaking from experience. If you train regularly and with intensiveness and study what your doing, (real practice) then when something happens, your conscious brain stops working because it can't handle what is happening. That is when you subconscious takes over and your body memory built from many, many hours of practice takes over and protects you. In my case, afterwards, I had to sit down and slowly think of what my body did to protect me. I'm not a fighter, I just love the movements of Kenpo.
Sifu

its called Muscle Memory.
anyone who carries a gun should know what this means, especially 1911 users. Its no different with martial arts.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top