JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm glad you see the light. If you're near Puyallup, come over and I'll teach you. o_O
That's very generous of you but I'm not nearby. I've included an illustration of my fighting stance. What do you think?

k6212900.jpg

Unfortunately, when someone you think you know well and trust is close enough to touch you, turns on you and strikes you with a killing blow, stabs or shoots you, s/he has the element of surprise as a major advantage over you, and all the combat training, expertise and skill in the world probably won't do you any good. I don't think this poor woman had a chance in hell of surviving this attack.

Well, but that obviously was not the case here. The couple had broken up. He broke into the house in the middle of the night, setting off the burglar alarm. The police responded, thinking that they were coming to a burglary.

She did not invite him in. They were not like enjoying a cup of tea together and chatting, and he just suddenly turned on her.

The coroner's report on the manner of death in this incident has now been released. Both the victim, and her ex-boyfriend, died from gunshot wounds. The ex-boyfriend committed suicide, after killing her.

So while it was illegal for him to possess or purchase a firearm, due to his past convictions, he did manage to obtain one. So the struggle would have been karate vs a gun.

.http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...compton-street-medical-examiner-says.html.csp

Just read the sad news story in this thread. Karate, or any martial art, if practiced enough will give someone an edge over an untrained person. But that edge is diminished by many factors, such as state of mind, strength and ferocity of the opponent, previous fighting experience, and so forth. What is truly needed for self protection is something more than an edge, something that goes beyond equalizers.

I have a friend, intelligent petite female. She was into karate earlier in life, got to Brown Belt level before realizing the increased demands to continue improving her skills were not compatible with the demands of education, family, work, etc. But like I said, she's intelligent.

She realizes that one small woman, Brown Belt or not, is not exactly a major threat to a group of large, violent young male attackers. She carries a .38 Special. That's the bottom line. Martial arts are all good, and the exercise is good for you, too. But only a gun is the Great Equalizer. So let's all learn whatever we can, but make SURE that The Gun is our number one martial art.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top