JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking into peep sight for lever rifle
Ranger point precision version is sold on many sites….

What's the deal with clover shaped hole…. Help with windage and elevation estimates?

Any experience?

IMG_5969.jpeg

I am not sure how well this applies to firearms, but the sharp points on an optical aperture help sharpen an image via defractive interference (if I am remembering all of this correctly). Basically you let in more light from the lobes, while still retaining the focus of a smaller virtual aperture between the points. There has been much discussion of using this phenomena in astronomy to help resolve much finer detail and block out overbearing light sources (e.g. when attempting to resolve planets around their parent stars). Here is an article that discusses the astronomical application;

I am not sure how well this applies to firearms, but the sharp points on an optical aperture help sharpen an image via defractive interference (if I am remembering all of this correctly). Basically you let in more light from the lobes, while still retaining the focus of a smaller virtual aperture between the points. There has been much discussion of using this phenomena in astronomy to help resolve much finer detail and block out overbearing light sources (e.g. when attempting to resolve planets around their parent stars). Here is an article that discusses the astronomical application;

Geeze…. You made that make sense. Thanks

I take no responsibility for the accuracy or reliability of these statements. All facts presented herein are the result of dusty memories pulled from the cobwebs of the mind and should not be relied upon for fiscal or life saving decision making processes. Other standard disclaimers apply. Your mileage may vary. Glad I could help either way ;-)

I put one on an 1895 a while ago and ended up milling the cloverleafs out of the rear sight.

I wouldn't call it a gimmick, but it certainly wasn't a significant improvement over a standard plain ghost ring either.

It was slightly more precise, but slower to acquire.

If you used it like a buckhorn rear sight it might work, or just use a buckhorn sight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top