JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll bet the guy that was trying the holster was one of them dudes that carries an auto without one in the chamber. He didn't want anyone to know how stupid he is for that, so he chose to show how stupid he is for other reasons...
The OP was correct in asking the "customer" to rack the slide and show an empty chamber. If the boss didn't back that up, then that's not a place to work or shop at.
FYI Keith's in Gresham is one that says "No Loaded weapons" in the store (except for Law Enforcement). One of a couple of reasons I don't go back.
Fisherman's, however, has a sign basically stating "No loaded weapons, except Concealed carry which must remain concealed". Not the perfect gun store, but the perfect attitude.

Back to the thread,

I was taught firearms safety by my dad at an early age. I think it's just common courtesy to show others that the firearm is unloaded when handling it. But even if it's a gun that I just checked and know is empty, I am very uneasy if a muzzle gets pointed at anyone. Mistakes can happen and gun mistakes have huge consequences.

No - sounds like you did the right thing.

I wasn't there, so I cannot say definitively, but from your description, I probably would have quit too.

The nice thing about being close to retirement is that I care less and less about job security and I will put up with less and less BS from employers or job situations - especially unsafe working conditions.

I'll bet the guy that was trying the holster was one of them dudes that carries an auto without one in the chamber. He didn't want anyone to know how stupid he is for that, so he chose to show how stupid he is for other reasons...

I don't think carrying a firearm that doesn't have a cartridge in the chamber is necessarily stupid - it depends on what you are comfortable with and what the perceived threat level is.

I rarely carry at all - does that make me stupid?

To each their own.

I don't think carrying a firearm that doesn't have a cartridge in the chamber is necessarily stupid - it depends on what you are comfortable with and what the perceived threat level is.

I rarely carry at all - does that make me stupid?

To each their own.

It was a "tongue in cheek" comment about a different thread.

If I want to try a holster, first I'll ask if the have my model gun and test fit it with their gun. If they don't have it then I take the holster to the counter and tell the sales guy/gal that i would like to test fit my gun and unload and show clear. Good-proper muzzle disipline is something I practice at all times without question (even when I point my finger like a gun). There will allways be dumb-*** boneheads that will cause tougher laws to be made and fuel the anti-gunners agenda.

To the O.P. you did the rite thing IMO

If you're in a gun store and someone politely asks you to verify that your weapon is clear, be courteous and rack the slide. Unless you want to prove to everyone that you have serious micro-penis.

my support the OP did the right thing.

A CHL is not a license to handle a loaded gun in public, a gun store is not a range. A guy walks in a gun store and draws a gun does not mean he has a CHL and is one of the good guys. His intentions may have been obvious for holster shopping but his respect for the safety request was inappropriate. How hard is it to rack a slide and comply with the request of the property owner.

Concealed mean concealed.

Once you pull - especially a loaded firearm, I think you are subject to being shot.
Why is that gun in your hand, unless you mean to rob the place?

If you want to try your firearm in a holster, why would'nt you do that with a safe - meaning unloaded - firearm? You can't know at that moment that a particular holster won't grip your trigger.

Talk to the clerk if that is what you want to do.

I haven't seen this, but I would expect a safe barrel in the / near the shop for the purpose of USC - Unload, Show Clear.

If I want to try a holster, first I'll ask if the have my model gun and test fit it with their gun. If they don't have it then I take the holster to the counter and tell the sales guy/gal that i would like to test fit my gun and unload and show clear. Good-proper muzzle disipline is something I practice at all times without question (even when I point my finger like a gun). There will allways be dumb-*** boneheads that will cause tougher laws to be made and fuel the anti-gunners agenda.

To the O.P. you did the rite thing IMO

This is the 100% correct way to do it. I worked at a big box shop for 4 years. This was the only way you were allowed to. That and we made the customer go back to the front of the store to have an associate clear the weapon in a muzzle guard/bullet box. Then the associate would take the gun back to the gun counter were the gun counter associate would then check clear and hand the pistol back to the customer. His ammo and magazine stayed in the front of the store. The same process was then repeated in reverse when the customer left.

As far as CHL carry. The store did not care as long as it was concealed. Open carry was not allowed and those patrons were asked politely to leave.

My local FFL dealer back in Reno had a small store front. He was ok with pen carry, but he too asked that you leave the store, clear your weapon, then return inside before any handling of the weapon was to take place.

OP I'm not saying you have to, but I wouldn't mind knowing which store this was in PM or in this thread. I will not be shopping there. Sounds like a shady business model. Makes me wonder what else type of shady business ethics this store has.

Once you pull - especially a loaded firearm, I think you are subject to being shot.

This +100

This type of stupidity can get you killed.

Guy was lucky shop associates and owner held their cool.

I was taught firearms safety by my dad at an early age. I think it's just common courtesy to show others that the firearm is unloaded when handling it. But even if it's a gun that I just checked and know is empty, I am very uneasy if a muzzle gets pointed at anyone. Mistakes can happen and gun mistakes have huge consequences.

Agree 100%. Habits are hard to break. Sweeping someone with the muzzle of any weapon, at any time, shows poor gun handling skills and it's only a matter of when they'll do it with a live round in the chamber. Rule #1, every gun is ALWAYS loaded.

Any time i've bought a holster from a store or gun show I have just asked if I can use their for sale firearm to test. Of course maybe they don't have your firearm, but if you have a G19 that G19 on the shelf is the same dang thing
If you carry concealed or Open carry and you are in public you can be breaking the law. And can be arrested or harassed by cops.

This time was a gun shop, what if you pulled your firearm at a gas station, parking lot, safeway, etc
You'd be in jail. Probably charged with menacing or something.

If I carry concealed I don't want ANYONE knowing I have a firearm on me. If you show that firearm you are breaking the law, wouldn't you be?
Even in a gun shop.

You *can* be breaking the law by carrying openly, but round here it's not illegal (for the most part) Check the little thing with Portland, open carry is illegal, except when there isn't a round in the chamber. Or if you have a CHL, you can have one in the chamber, and open carry :)

OK so I have this problem in situations like this. I can't hear myself getting loud.To me it sounds like I'm talking normal.
So I was yelling.
But the other guy who was working,(and didn't try to defuse the problem either)said the guy is a mook.He brought in a 1911 and said it wouldn't feed right. The kid took it out and ran 3 mags thru it no problem. I guess he's always a BH when he comes in.
Gunfix,you know the woman and know what I'm talking about. I just didn't take screaming for $30 an hour and I sure ain't gunna take it for $9 or free!
She can be fine but some days......She just forgets the little safety things a lot
My other problem is I can't be around people who have pi$$ed me off like this,so now I need a new shop to loiter at and do transfers

Thanks for all the responses.
Be safe and carry on keeping others safe
Time for the Black bear for breakfast

Mike from Down Range asked Linda if she knew him from some place. She said no,so he asked her why she would treat him with disrespect
She is kinda famous for this behavior.I've just had enough.
Mark 60,I understand,but I want to see who I'm dealing with.It ain't a toy store.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top