JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I kinda volunteer at the local shop,or did.And work for others when they need time off.
This big guy,6'3" 250+ walks in,with his sun glasses on(don't care about your prescription,BTW),and grabs a serpa holster.
I say,'sir can you clear your weapon'
He keeps going.
I say sir please clear your weapon
The other clerk say we have a hole from someone who didn't
Customer says,'You mean an diot?' and drops the magazine.
I say Please rack the slide too?
'Most guy just want you to drop the slide to clear' (who's the idiot?) And he keeps trying the holster
I say could you please clear your weapon
He says 'Are you still yelling at me?' I'm 5'10" 240 and this guy is pissy about me yelling at him? A little sensitive for a big guy?
I say something about him not knowing how to clear his weapon and he reiterates am I still yelling at him.I guess he was trying to punk me out?

Maybe I am wrong,but I don't do attitudes in gun shops. Had this been my shop,I would have told him to stop and put his handgun down or get out now.Well the owner comes out and tells both of us to leave.
Of course I don't do yelling so I left and quit the shop.
If the owner can't back me when telling someone to properly clear a weapon,or doesn't cre then I won't work there.
Plus I don't get yelled at.

So did I do wrong? Should I have just let him go on trying the weapon uncleared?
As far as quitting,I had to.I didn't do yelling for my 30+ years in construction,I'm sure not going to for $9 an hour

Thanks for looking
Mike

And if the guy is on here,I'll talk with you face to face any time

I have seen the same thing myself.

I think instead of quitting, a conversation with the owner over a cup of coffee is in order so that he can establish some Standard Operating Procedures. Perhaps clue the owner in what could happen if another customer was shot during this guys holster fitting escapade.
With the increase of more and newer ( read - inexperienced) gun owners the last few years, you have to have some guidelines....

all the best, simon99

If I have an overwhelming desire to see if my gun fits a holster I simply bring it in all cased up. I have seen more times that I like to mention fools just pulling a gun out to see if it fits a holster. Unfortunately it makes us all look bad when fools like this own guns.

You were totally in the right. And screw the boss if he didn't back you.
If you acted calm but stern and with respect there shouldn't have been a problem and the boss should have seen that.

If fit testing a new holster, I walk in before to see if there is anything that may fit it, Then I either tell or ask that Ill be right back and Im bringing a pistol in.

I generally do the whole, mag ejection and slide rack just so the guy behind the counter can see it and that its unloaded.

If I witness something like that in a store I would have been right there with you and chimed in as well asked him to do the same. Lord knows if it had been loaded.. and he muzzle swept me.. I would have clocked him.

i never did understand this. If you are legal to conceal carry why can't you do it in a gun store.

Carrying the loaded gun isn't the problem,handling the gun out of the holster and fitting it for a new holster is the problem

Simon,this woman is WAY passed talking to.Too set in her ways,been running this store for 35 years blah blah blah

zviFUXn.jpg

zviFUXn.jpg

so you can carry concealed in a gun shop?

All the ones I've been in you can. The rule is generally that concealed remains concealed and you do not remove the firearm from its holster. If you do, it must be cleared either by you (before you come in) or by staff. They usually don't have any problem with someone who carries concealed and keeps it that way. It is when they start messing with it that things become dicey, and with good reason.

OP (Mike) I would have quit as well - if everything is as you posted you did the right thing. The customer isn't always right and the manager should have backed your play. No reason for the guy to act like a tool. Often people who are not confident in their skills and not mentally mature will over react and try to intimidate rather than own their mistake and learn from the situation.

This ranks up there with staff at a shop in Longview not checking to make sure a long gun was clear before handing it to a customer (regular customer with many purchases) who immediately swept 3 or 4 customers and at least one of the staff. When I asked him to quit sweeping people the staff stuck up for him and said "It's not loaded". I left and will not set foot in that shop again.

This ranks up there with staff at a shop in Longview not checking to make sure a long gun was clear before handing it to a customer (regular customer with many purchases) who immediately swept 3 or 4 customers and at least one of the staff. When I asked him to quit sweeping people the staff stuck up for him and said "It's not loaded". I left and will not set foot in that shop again.

And we all KNOW that "unloaded" guns NEVER, EVER shoot anyone or kill them or make them look like a$$e$. Just ask that cop doing a demo before a class of kids who was telling them over and over that he was the only one QUALIFIED to handle a gun. Who then proceeds to shoot himself in the leg with his own glock. Gotta love them "unloaded" weapons.

It's why at IDPA you clear the mag, and the chamber and have the weapon called "Clear!" BEFORE holstering the weapon.

What are the 4 rules (short form)

1 -- EVERY weapon is considered loaded
2 -- Don't aim at what you don't want to kill
3 -- Keep your finger out of the trigger until ready to shoot
4 -- Be aware of your target and what is behind it

Seems simple enough -- should be followed doubly in a gun store with the proximity of weapons, ammo and peeps.

You had ever right to do that. And it's people like that that kill someone or shoot themselves because they are stupid. No other words for it. Just plain ish for brains.

And it that manager is just as incompetent.

If i would have been there shopping i would have made sure to tell the manager He lost my business for good.

There are plenty of instances in life where you can mediate a dispute or look the other way. Gun safety is not one of those instances. Ever. bubblegum up just once and someone dies. I think you did the right thing. Ive taken guns from shooters on the firing line an refused to return them until they left. Some would call that a dick move, I call it looking out for people. If I walk into a gun store with a handgun I clear it in front of them and when were both satisfied I hand it to the storekeep butt first, barrel pointed at floor or ceiling.

All the ones I've been in you can. The rule is generally that concealed remains concealed and you do not remove the firearm from its holster. If you do, it must be cleared either by you (before you come in) or by staff. They usually don't have any problem with someone who carries concealed and keeps it that way. It is when they start messing with it that things become dicey, and with good reason.
If I see one with a sign saying I can't carry concealed in their shop I leave, and never return.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

unfortunately the owner has the right to do that (even if they are as wrong and arrogant as the customer). But more importantly you have the right to keep your self safe so just walking away from a future disaster in that store is probably the right move.

I never yell, except to keep someone from immediate injury.
I do not go to shops that refuse to let degun in any fashion.
Seguim sucks, so would you really expect more then that from a gunshop up there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top