JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hunting is irrelevant. In Washington State, the only time a person can have a loaded firearm in a vehicle is if they hold a CHL and the loaded firearms are limited to handguns.
Unless you're a disabled hunter, wherein you get to play by a different set of rules...

That really shocks me. I had no idea anyone could still take a bunch of grade school kids to shoot anymore. Thought lawyers had completely done away with this. Glad someone is still doing it. I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to take even one young kid to the range I am a member of. Never asked them but I suspect they would never let me in with one who was not my own kid. Really sad.
That is pretty sad. On the bright side, we are not deterred by Olympia or King/Pierce County dumbphuqery over here.
The kids coming through the course are as young as they can be and still get a hunting license. I mean, they have to take the class to get their license.
We provide the class, the range, the instructors. No one has ever been shot. Not even close... unlike a certain low-budget movie set in Arizona... :rolleyes:

So the company I work for owns a fair amount of diked farmland along an estuary area. It is prime duck and goose hunting ground and we let people hunt for a very modest permit fee. One of the owners and I took a run to look at the adjacent river to see how high it was and drive back across the field access road to make sure hunters weren't blocking the road like they sometimes do. We encounter a truck blocking the road so we honk until the hunter comes out of the ditch and walks to us. We tell him he needs to move his truck and not block the road. He goes to get in his truck and evidently shoves his loaded shotgun with safety off into back seat of truck and it goes off. We are stunned and he is white as a sheep. Luckily it was pointed away from us and it looked like rear seat and inside door panel took the brunt. We were so rattled we just wanted to get away from this guy after we chewed him out a bit, but we will probably go back pull his permit. I am just glad everybody is safe including him. How many gun safety rules were broken here? I just can't fathom sticking a loaded shotgun into a vehicle with safety off and finger on trigger. This was an epic fail on his part. Warden should probably be called and this guy should be forced to take a hunter safety course over again like many of us had as kids or maybe it would be his first time.
It isn't likely finger was on trigger I'll bet. More likely trigger caught on something when pushing it into truck. That's why if you are hunting with a partner in front of you you NEVER go through thick brush before turning your gun around to point in a safe direction such as behind you (assuming no one is behind you). Even with safety on, never do it. Brush can catch triggers and safeties and move them as you push gun through. Same way pushing into a vehicle especially if it's loaded with lots of crap. Not as bad as brush but you get the idea.

I have hunted states where it was completely legal to have a loaded long gun in a vehicle including one in the chamber. I opted to keep one out of the pipe in those instances with the bolt closed on an empty chamber but rounds in the magazine.

, I live where its legal to have a loaded chamber in the vehicle when hunting and in over 30 years of hunting we've never allowed a loaded chamber in the vehicle.
Quite often I'll stuff 4 rounds into the mag of my rifle when leaving the house and driving to my hunt area. One in the chamber? Never. Even as a kid when Dad and I would be driving thru the woods, Dad would tell me to keep my mitts on my rifle in case I had to bail out, get off of the road and attempt a shot at a deer. There was a strict understanding that there was a closed action on an empty chamber and that the chamber would not be "filled" unless a shot was to be taken. Even if I never racked a round into the chamber, I'd check to be sure it was clear before getting back into the truck.
That really shocks me. I had no idea anyone could still take a bunch of grade school kids to shoot anymore. Thought lawyers had completely done away with this. Glad someone is still doing it. I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to take even one young kid to the range I am a member of. Never asked them but I suspect they would never let me in with one who was not my own kid. Really sad.
My grandson is not yet 12. He shoots on the Canby High Trap Team. I'm tickled to death he has this opportunity. The closest I got to having any shooting sports in school was taking my Hunters Education class at Grant Union High School!

That's why if you are hunting with a partner in front of you you NEVER go through thick brush before turning your gun around to point in a safe direction such as behind you (assuming no one is behind you). Even with safety on, never do it. Brush can catch triggers and safeties and move them as you push gun through.
This is exactly what happened to a guy I once knew. He had been hunting with a friend who was walking behind him in heavy brush and he turned around to talk to him and the guys muzzle of his 12 ga was still pointing at him. The gun discharged and the guy took a load of #8 to various parts of his body.

I remember discussing it with him and asking about the 'brush' part but he really didn't know if it WAS brush catching on the trigger or if the guy had his finger on the trigger. He originally had assumed it was brush but never really knew. I remember him describing the situation and it was pretty traumatic..

Last Edited:
This is exactly what happened to a guy I once knew. He had been hunting with a friend who was walking behind him in heavy brush and he turned around to talk to him and the guys muzzle of his 12 ga was still pointing at him. The gun discharged and the guy took a load of #8 to various parts of his body.

I remember discussing it with him and asking about the 'brush' part but he really didn't know if it WAS brush catching on the trigger or if the guy had his finger on the trigger. He originally had assumed it was brush but never really knew. I remember him describing the situation and it was pretty traumatic.
Wow. I bet it was the brush. A buddy I used to go pheasant hunting with in college noticed me doing the gun flip around thing and he says "you safety-minded son of a bubblegum!" :p We never had a dog so had to do the brush busting ourselves.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews