JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He didn't have to have his finger on the trigger. Sliding the gun forward across the seat sets up a condition where anything obstructing the trigger will in effect press it. In this case, perhaps, with enough force to clear the sear notch and fire.
Yep, and clanking it in where tools and God knows what else are, it's conceivable that a crossbolt etc safety can get moved also prior to the trigger getting pressed.

He blocked a road on property that wasn't his. Who does that? Not anybody with respect or consideration for the property owner or others. If I were the land owner I would ban him permanently for blocking the road and tell him if he showed up again his vehicle would be towed.

Maybe someone who is an adult who has been unsafe with guns for years can be retrained. But I rather doubt it. I suspect no one would even be able to convince him he needed training.

came here to post this - when game hunting you cannot have a loaded gun in your truck, anywhere.

if youre game hunting, you cannot have a loaded long gun in your truck. its been a while, but im pretty goddamn sure theres no exceptions to this except disabled hunters.
I went through the Oregon Hunters Safety course in '73. In that course they said you can not have a loaded rifle in your truck.
A few years ago I stated that on here and was quickly told "how wrong I was". Who ever told me that I was wrong, was correct.
Because regulations change frequently, I just looked through the 2021 Oregon Big Game Hunting Regulations handbook, AKA the Synopsis.
The only regulations of a loaded firearm are for a snowmobile or an ATV. There is no comment anywhere regarding/regulating a loaded long gun in a vehicle.
There is NO SHOOTING from a vehicle unless in possession of a disabled tag. (hunting tag, not the placard hanging from a rearview mirror)
This is Oregon, I'm sure Washington is different.

Now, anyone putting a rifle or shotgun in their vehicle with a cartridge in the chamber is asking for trouble, and this "hunter" in question now knows why.

I had an instance where I was unloading the chamber of a single shot rifle and blew the rear window out of the open canopy door. Because I do know and practice the rules of safe gun handling the rifle was pointed skyward and the glass rained down on me, but nothing else happened. Later I tried at great lengths to duplicate the "AD" and my only assumption was that I had my finger on the trigger before I dropped the lever, creating an "ND".(Browning copy of a High Wall) That one's on me. Never had anything like that happen before or since.

Never get lazy or flippant about firearms safety. Don't be an Alec. :D

Yes it is illegal in WA to have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle.

A7EE2904-5208-4C3D-B0FD-09338613E832.png

I have hunted states where it was completely legal to have a loaded long gun in a vehicle including one in the chamber. I opted to keep one out of the pipe in those instances with the bolt closed on an empty chamber but rounds in the magazine.

The only thing I got from that was, "diked farmland".

Not really. :s0108:
Paints an interesting mental picture, doesn't it? :)

Yep, and clanking it in where tools and God knows what else are, it's conceivable that a crossbolt etc safety can get moved also prior to the trigger getting pressed.
There's also the possibility that the gun wasn't in proper working order.

While I probably will never know for sure, the back seat looked fairly unencumbered by much but a few clothing articles the shotgun was being placed on top of. I don't really see a cross bolt safety being disengaged or the trigger being activated by a shirt or coat. I am still of the opinion he was fairly new to firearms and made some colossal errors.

My little brother had a shotgun light off in the cab of a pickup once...he was hunting on private property and had shot the first of three rounds on a duck and left the empty in the chamber. They were driving with the shotguns resting on the seat with barrels up. They encountered more ducks and he stopped the truck, opened the door and was getting out as he grabbed his gun. He jacked the empty out to load a fresh round and the empty laid over in the receiver behind the newly chambering round. When he tried to close the breech the empty rounds rim fired the new round off out of battery. All he remembers was pellets flying everywhere and a big hole in the roof.

At least 2 of the 4 rules were broken here, Ive never understood why 4 simple rules are hard to learn... Were all human and I try to be flexible but some things are too egregious, I live where its legal to have a loaded chamber in the vehicle when hunting and in over 30 years of hunting we've never allowed a loaded chamber in the vehicle.

That said it would be entertaining to hear the guys excuse he gives to his auto mechanic.

At least 2 of the 4 rules were broken here, Ive never understood why 4 simple rules are hard to learn... Were all human and I try to be flexible but some things are too egregious, I live where its legal to have a loaded chamber in the vehicle when hunting and in over 30 years of hunting we've never allowed a loaded chamber in the vehicle.

That said it would be entertaining to hear the guys excuse he gives to his auto mechanic.
In this world my friend, is every kind of stupid motherbubblegumer and every kind of evil motherbubblegumer you could possibly imagine and then some.

Hunting is irrelevant. In Washington State, the only time a person can have a loaded firearm in a vehicle is if they hold a CHL and the loaded firearms are limited to handguns.

Loaded firearm cannot be in your vehicle unless a cwp and gun is on your person I believe.
This may be one reason why?
Point of order:
If the loaded firearm is a rifle or shotgun (a "long" gun), then having a CWP still doesn't count.
Only handguns and AR/AK/similarly-styled pistols are permitted to be loaded while in your vehicle, with a valid CWP of course.
And you can transport these pistols loaded while they are not on your person, cuz they're classified as handguns and hence covered by the CWP..
So they can be in the glove box, console, under the seat, back seat, trunk, etc. and it's all legal, so long as you have the CWP on you.
I should add that these are WA State laws, and the laws are different for a WA State disabled hunter, as @osprey noted above.
Check your local listings. YMMV...

Last Edited:
After we finished they set up a Saturday when we all got to meet at a range and shoot some live ammo. This too would be all but impossible to set up now.
We do this all the time at my range. Well, we did before the 'Rona hit. I don't think there's been a HESA class in person at the range in the past 18 months... :(

We do this all the time at my range. Well, we did before the 'Rona hit. I don't think there's been a HESA class in person at the range in the past 18 months... :(
That really shocks me. I had no idea anyone could still take a bunch of grade school kids to shoot anymore. Thought lawyers had completely done away with this. Glad someone is still doing it. I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to take even one young kid to the range I am a member of. Never asked them but I suspect they would never let me in with one who was not my own kid. Really sad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top