JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think we have all piled on to this one pretty well. The problem here is one of familiarity.

People are not exposed to firearms as they once were a mere 40 years ago. Firearm safety isn't taught in schools, firearms aren't put in front of anyone except when being shown as extremely dangerous.

When a firearm is seen in public, people get scared and revert to child like behavior and defer to an adult. In most cases that means calling the police. This is a valid action, but could be avoided with some familiarity.

That's why I think something like organized awareness groups like every 2nd matters is important. We should also always try to start conversations with people and be willing to teach people.

I know general population is curious about firearms but may believe that it's too difficult to get into. I have seen time and again new shooters come in to the local range that have no idea what they're doing. If they have a bad experience, or don't feel safe that one time, it's all over. But I think that curiosity is there and we should focus on engaging those folks.

I'm afraid that in the Metro areas of Oregon that is not the case. I've heard "If I never saw a gun again I would be happy" and "I don't think people should be allowed to have assault weapons". Unfortunately, when I've gently broached the subject of personal protection and/or firearms to people, "Interest" has not been the reaction. But then I do live in the heart of a population that would dictate how others should live. My limited experience shows that there are those that embrace the 2nd amendment and those that think the 2nd should be abolished. And a very few, that while not caring to own firearms themselves, wouldn't support unreasonable restrictions for other Americans.

I'm afraid that in the Metro areas of Oregon that is not the case. I've heard "If I never saw a gun again I would be happy" and "I don't think people should be allowed to have assault weapons". Unfortunately, when I've gently broached the subject of personal protection and/or firearms to people, "Interest" has not been the reaction. But then I do live in the heart of a population that would dictate how others should live. My limited experience shows that there are those that embrace the 2nd amendment and those that think the 2nd should be abolished. And a very few, that while not caring to own firearms themselves, wouldn't support unreasonable restrictions for other Americans.
Thank god for our representative form of government where small conservitive rural states have power above the weight of there population. In a pure democracy, they would be able to repeal the 2nd amendment and Hillary would be President. There would be no way to ever ratify the repeal with the current situation.

Last Edited:
Got into a conversation with someone this weekend who knows me well and knows that I don't leave the house with out my gun. He starts in with and I quote " I don't understand why people carry every day, is it a lack of confidence or something?"

After about a 30 second cool down and I very large sip of crown I responded with this. " So if your wife and my wife were out shopping and I was there and some guy came in and was robbing them at gun point you wouldn't want me to do anything?" After that comment and a couple others and some explenation's of training and knowing your surroundings and not wanting to put anyone further into danger he gets up from his chair and walks off.

That was the end of the conversation. I'm really not sure how to take that? Im thinking a win but not sure. o_O He kinda gave me that look like ya of course I would want you to do something but didn't say anything. Some people are just weird.

Most gun haters really hate it when the good guys are right and they have no recourse but to retreat tail tucked and not give you any inclination that they knew that you were right.

Tards.

I have definitely run into staunchly anti folks as well and I think the original post involves that mindset. What I'm saying is that these people that are irrational because they are linking their identity to their political stance, virtue signaling, taking moral superiority, and all the other negative concepts we apply to that line of thought.

What I am saying is that there is a set of people that are not so determined to follow the herd just to fit in. Those are the folks we should reach out to.

What changed is they got brainwashed by the MSM and by their peers who reinforce the MSM talking points. My guess would be that they are not getting a lot of different ideas on the topic from within their social circles.

With that said, if they are so easily swayed my thoughts would be they didn't have such solid convictions to begin with.

Mmmmm, it has been shown time and time again that there is a subset of antis that harbor a curiousity about firearms. This group can be converted if they can be shown a good, safe, time out shooting. Some will, some won't.

There is another subset that will run out and buy a gun if/when their personal lives become threatened or affected with violence.

Last Edited:
What I am saying is that there is a set of people that are not so determined to follow the herd just to fit in. Those are the folks we should reach out to.

That's what I'm usually trying to do by gently bringing up the subject. ;)

I think one major factor is peer pressure, or as social scientists call it "maintaining social desirability". If your around only one school of thought all the time you stop learning to think for yourself and indeed, can be punished for having a different opinion. I'm sure this would be the case at my employer. I've seen a lot of previously pro-gun folks become anti-gun the last few years and it doesn't even seem to always be party related.

Sad but true. Facebook is the worst. I've seen friends completely change their political views due to a combination of peer pressure and bias conformation. All for want of a blue thumb under their post. Social media acceptance, and "likes" have been scientifically proven to be more addictive than heroin or even nicotine.

I only still have a facebook account because it's a good tool for getting in touch with people, and for planning/organizing family get togethers and parties etc. I check it less than once a week. I get my "like" fix here on NWFA.

FB, ouch. I am on there to maintain contact with family and friends that won't email or phone nowadays. But, I do make political posts and have been unfriended or had to block some. Recently it was the wife of my best buddy over NFL protests. Sucks but there it is. I stopped arguing on FB with friends of friends tho. Not worth the effort.

Last Edited:
Reminds me of my friend from Germany, one of my oldest friends. He visits the US every few years and was here last December (2016) right after Trump was elected. He said he refused to come back to the US so long as Trump was president. He also told me he was unable to function for 4 days after Trump was elected. I told him it's going to be a long 8 years waiting to see him again. He didn't find that funny. :rolleyes:

I don't get people being so butt-hurt over opinions that differ from their own. I'm an adult and can handle being in the room with people that disagree with me - so long as they're being polite. It's sad that more folks can't do the same.

Reminds me of my friend from Germany, one of my oldest friends. He visits the US every few years and was here last December (2016) right after Trump was elected. He said he refused to come back to the US so long as Trump was president. He also told me he was unable to function for 4 days after Trump was elected. I told him it's going to be a long 8 years waiting to see him again. He didn't find that funny. :rolleyes:

I don't get people being so butt-hurt over opinions that differ from their own. I'm an adult and can handle being in the room with people that disagree with me - so long as they're being polite. It's sad that more folks can't do the same.

This is how it is for me also. But more and more I find people that are incapable of holding rational discussion without using ad hominem, passive aggressive, other manipulations, or emotional outbursts. Weird world we live in today. :rolleyes:

Edit: fixed it. I did not mean to say generally that all people are like that.

Last Edited:
I think a lot of it is anecdotal, it will only take one bad experience with someone carrying a gun to potentially turn you off to them or the idea of carrying, and we all know theres no shortage of idiots and a-holes out there.

Kinda like how LEOs treat armed individuals very different from unarmed, regardless of who you are.

If I notice someone carrying, I will no doubt pay them a bit more attention, but usually its a well put together, competent looking person, and I don't think any more of it.

I'm not sure about that. Never really been exposed to guns until I was an adult. Certainly I would not be exposed to them as a kid in South Korea.

Interesting. I thought I was the only one.

I guess I was exposed a bit. TO GUNS! In high school a buddy says "Wanna go rabbit hunting with us? I say "Sure". They borrowed me a 22 rifle. Did that a few times. Dad had some old guns but never taught me about them. They were just hanging on the downstairs mantle and wall. No ammo around. I messed with them sometimes. Never had a thought one way or the other on guns. Meh. Utah was BIG on hunting. School buddy would go dove hunting in the fields after school, etc. Skip ahead, 2010 dad said "Take the guns if you want them. Your brother has no interest in them. So I did. Only three of the guns were shooters....His dads S&W .38 service revolver, Dads sporterized Enfield .30-06 and a Colt woodsman. GAME ON! I got into it man! Ten plus :rolleyes: guns, safe, club dues, reloading, pile of gun magazines.....Hours spent with a bunch of "GUN NUTS" at NWFA.

Point is....I never had an opinion one way or the other on the RTKBA. I've always been a cynic too, maybe. Just because they said it or I read it, didn't mean that's was the way it was. Any body, from either side, trying to tell me "Yer either with us or agin us" is likely to be met with GTH! That's why it's so hard for me to understand people completely refusing to even LISTEN, being drawn into a huge pile of anti gun hype, to the point they can't even see we just might have a valid point RE the 2nd amendment. Or at the very least just go on with their lives, and turn off the damned news!

The national zeitgeist went feminine about 20 years ago. A whole generation was raised without fathers, and a whole different set of priorities emerged. The average suburban teenager lacks a wholesome rigor in his/her life. And the same kids who grow up forgetting to change the oil in their car, become afraid of firearms. They grow up to be adults who don't trust anyone with firearms because they don't trust themselves with a lawn mower. If you have kids, show them how to use hand tools, how to connect the Nintendo to the TV, how to be curious, and be hands on. And especially if you have girls. These things build confidence. Challenges build confidence. A gun is just a tool. Making everything easy for people only makes people afraid of each other and of the world around them.

FB, ouch. I am on there to maintain contact with family and friends that won't email or phone nowadays. But, I do make political posts and have been unfriended or had to block some. Recently it was the wife of my best buddy over NFL protests. Sucks but there it is. I stopped arguing on FB with friends of friends tho. Not worth the effort.

I blocked ALL them A-holes by closing my account. Eff em!!!:mad::mad::mad:

This is how it is for me also. But more and more I find people that are incapable of holding rational discussion without using ad hominem, passive aggressive, other manipulations, or emotional outbursts. Weird world we live in today. :rolleyes:

Edit: fixed it. I did not mean to say generally that all people are like that.

Oops

I used to dislike them and wish they were never made. Then I grew up and became an adult.

On each count, never!!! Even tho I was not around firearms, I was always in love with them. And I never did become an adult. ;)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews