JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have followed this discussion and some of the comments that I have encountered compelled me to sign up to this forum and post my two cents worth. First of all there are people of a mind set that just cannot be swayed from their thinking regarding the merit of carrying a weapon for self defense. Often they can be categorized as anything but self reliant. To this type of mindset (when I encounter it) I point out that many years ago, skill of arms was considered an admirable trait of one that is a positive contributor to society. To these "potential victims" I also convey that skill with arms is more than just having one available in times of crisis, there is a responsibility associated with carrying a weapon. This quality is lost on many that do who do not realize that there is absolutely no advantage in disclosing the status of being armed unless an encounter that requires the use of deadly force is imminent and unavoidable! Why surrender an advantage, doing so only strokes one's personal ego and is characteristic of a "self appointed crime fighting cowboy" personality. The prospect of taking a life should never be taken lightly and disclosing the readiness to do so (in my opinion) is reckless sentiment that could result in unfavorable consequences. You should never display a weapon and you should never indicate or disclose such a condition to anyone other than highly trusted personal associates or law enforcement. Such knowledge by others is never beneficial. As a veteran and as a seasoned competitor (at the national level of action shooting competitions) I have made a choice to be armed. To each their own and it is a decision that every one needs to make for themself. No amount of discussion will reliably convince others to that end (of being armed) and the bottom line is if they do not care enough to protect that which they value most (to include their own life) why should I?

I have followed this discussion and some of the comments that I have encountered compelled me to sign up to this forum and post my two cents worth. First of all there are people of a mind set that just cannot be swayed from their thinking regarding the merit of carrying a weapon for self defense. Often they can be categorized as anything but self reliant. To this type of mindset (when I encounter it) I point out that many years ago, skill of arms was considered an admirable trait of one that is a positive contributor to society. To these "potential victims" I also convey that skill with arms is more than just having one available in times of crisis, there is a responsibility associated with carrying a weapon. This quality is lost on many that do who do not realize that there is absolutely no advantage in disclosing the status of being armed unless an encounter that requires the use of deadly force is imminent and unavoidable! Why surrender an advantage, doing so only strokes one's personal ego and is characteristic of a "self appointed crime fighting cowboy" personality. The prospect of taking a life should never be taken lightly and disclosing the readiness to do so (in my opinion) is reckless sentiment that could result in unfavorable consequences. You should never display a weapon and you should never indicate or disclose such a condition to anyone other than highly trusted personal associates or law enforcement. Such knowledge by others is never beneficial. As a veteran and as a seasoned competitor (at the national level of action shooting competitions) I have made a choice to be armed. To each their own and it is a decision that every one needs to make for themself. No amount of discussion will reliably convince others to that end (of being armed) and the bottom line is if they do not care enough to protect that which they value most (to include their own life) why should I?
Great first post. :) Actually great post:)

I think we have all piled on to this one pretty well. The problem here is one of familiarity.

People are not exposed to firearms as they once were a mere 40 years ago. Firearm safety isn't taught in schools, firearms aren't put in front of anyone except when being shown as extremely dangerous.

When a firearm is seen in public, people get scared and revert to child like behavior and defer to an adult. In most cases that means calling the police. This is a valid action, but could be avoided with some familiarity.

That's why I think something like organized awareness groups like every 2nd matters is important. We should also always try to start conversations with people and be willing to teach people.

I know general population is curious about firearms but may believe that it's too difficult to get into. I have seen time and again new shooters come in to the local range that have no idea what they're doing. If they have a bad experience, or don't feel safe that one time, it's all over. But I think that curiosity is there and we should focus on engaging those folks.
Some years ago, the wife and I were leaving a church bazaar when we spotted a small case on the sidewalk. My wife thought it was a diabetes kit, but I suspected something else. Turned out, it held a brand new Ruger .380 LCP.
The "finders, keepers" in me considered this for the briefest moment, then I turned around and took it into the church office. When I entered the office, I told the ladies what I had found and proceeded to unload the pistol to render it "harmless". I, then, recommended that they contact the sheriff's department and have them pick the gun up, where, at that point, the wife and I left for home. Nobody freaked out, probably because we live in a rural community and I acted professionally when handing the gun over to the church.
The story actually ends like this...the wife and I were wearing bright orange and black riding gear, on a Harley trike. Several miles away, at another bazaar, I was approached by a gentleman who asked if I had found a gun at the place we recently left. Suspiciously, I asked him to identify the firearm and he pegged it. I told him what I did with it and suggested he contact the sheriff's office, as well. He thanked me and headed off to do just that. The only thing I can assume is that this gentleman spotted us arriving at the church, just as he was leaving, so he took a chance that I might have found his gun. Lucky for him, I'm (generally) an honest type of guy.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews