JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The last decade or so the liberals often seem suicidal when it comes to cars. It is amazing to me to watch liberals on bicycles act like they are trying to start road rage. Many go out of their way to piss off cars. It's the craziest thing to watch. Especially with how many drivers you see with a phone in their face while driving. When I worked at a place that was a mile from home I had a bike I would use when weather was nice. I was too scared to ride in the street at all. I used the sidewalk. I hear it was something I was not supposed to do but never had a Cop say a word to me. I always figured if one did tell me I could't do that the bike was going to never be used for work again. Many of these guys ride like they think they are in a Mac truck and can bully cars. They seem to have a death wish.

The messengers in downtown PDX are the worst. Blowing stop signs and lights with nary a thought about traffic, weaving in and out of lanes, etc. Got nailed by one of them as I was walking on the sidewalk a few years back, too. He had the gall to give me the finger as he rode off. Never mind the fact that the bags I was carrying went flying when he clipped me.
I've even had a few try to interfere with me when I was on a motorcycle. WTF? Look over their shoulder and see me in the other lane, then swerve over to cut me off. They need more and better lessons about a vehicle's stopping distance and the difference in weight between them and their vehicle vs. me and my vehicle (be it car or motorcycle). Of course, they probably think that physics takes a back-seat to being a SJW ("Oh, you're fighting for the people! Here, let me rescind those pesky laws for you.")

Well, I have to say that now that I have read this whole thread I have decided no one should carry or own guns.o_O

When I get home tonight I'm going to find a blacksmith that can melt all of my firearms down and mold it into a great big peace sign that I can hang on the front of my house.:eek:

And no you can not have them, that would just be adding to the problem.:p:rolleyes:

Used to cycle commute into Boston for a decade from the suburbs. Inbound after dark. Outbound in the am.

Do not see any correlation to this conversation, nor to my correlation between motor vehicle fatalities in Oregon and similar Firearms fatality numbers...and the anti's unjust fear of said right to bare arms.

Well, I have to say that now that I have read this whole thread I have decided no one should carry or own guns.o_O

When I get home tonight I'm going to find a blacksmith that can melt all of my firearms down and mold it into a great big peace sign that I can hang on the front of my house.:eek:

And no you can not have them, that would just be adding to the problem.:p:rolleyes:

Minus one long gun right?!!:p:D

Did they specify wether the hoplophobia was because of a pistol or a rifle being open carried.

Honestly, if I saw a guy open carrying a rifle I too would likely be concerned. Unless he is in the woods during hunting season in camo, I'd be highly cautious and likely concerned by a person walking down my street with a slung long gun.

Agree.

I once encountered a nude guy in the woods who was on a "spirit quest". His nudity was legal in that setting and it was certainly natural. :rolleyes:

Even so, it still set off my caution alarm.

E

Used to cycle commute into Boston for a decade from the suburbs. Inbound after dark. Outbound in the am.

Do not see any correlation to this conversation, nor to my correlation between motor vehicle fatalities in Oregon and similar Firearms fatality numbers...and the anti's unjust fear of said right to bare arms.

What I was getting at is you're right the anti gun who use "safety and death from" as an "excuse" don't seem to get it. Since so many other things kill and maim far more than guns. Some probably even believe this BS they spout, which is why it leaves me shaking my head. Watching them risk death on a bicycle like it's nothing yet run screaming if they see someone walk into their favorite coffee shop with a gun. Since surely they guy picking up his coffee with gun on is deadly, yet cars while on a bike seems to not even phase them. At least not until they get run over.

When I lived in Bend, I constantly had bicycle riders flipping me off. On Portland visits too. Don't tell me it's my driving, that doesn't happen to me here.

Open carry is not common even here, but it does happen. When I see them in a store or restaurant, I give the situation a look over and then don't worry about it. Same thing if I saw someone open carry an AR... no reason to get freaked!!!

My SIL freaked and covered her 8yr old grandson's eyes when she drove up while I was giving a shotgun to my bro.:rolleyes: And she didn't want it in the house even tho he carries. Because they didn't have a long gun safe. But I gave him a cable lock and she relented.

Last Edited:
What I was getting at is you're right the anti gun who use "safety and death from" as an "excuse" don't seem to get it. Since so many other things kill and maim far more than guns. Some probably even believe this BS they spout, which is why it leaves me shaking my head. Watching them risk death on a bicycle like it's nothing yet run screaming if they see someone walk into their favorite coffee shop with a gun. Since surely they guy picking up his coffee with gun on is deadly, yet cars while on a bike seems to not even phase them. At least not until they get run over.

Gotcha, makes sense.

What I'm getting at is the next time one of us has a conversation started by an anti, spouting off all of there fears and such.

Have them take out there car keys from there pocket and leave them on the table and walk away. Point out to them everyone will be far safer now...they won't get it. They don't like actual facts that don't fit into whatever agenda they've been fed.

Gotcha, makes sense.

What I'm getting at is the next time one of us has a conversation started by an anti, spouting off all of there fears and such.

Have them take out there car keys from there pocket and leave them on the table and walk away. Point out to them everyone will be far safer now...they won't get it. They don't like actual facts that don't fit into whatever agenda they've been fed.

The way many anti's, who are often also liberals drive we would all be safer with them on the bus. :)
I have angered many who tell me "I would never have a gun in my home". When one says this I just shrug and say great, the bad people have to eat too. You'll make a great victim to feed them.

The way many anti's, who are often also liberals drive we would all be safer with them on the bus. :)
I have angered many who tell me "I would never have a gun in my home". When one says this I just shrug and say great, the bad people have to eat too. You'll make a great victim to feed them.
Status quo. There's always going to be a victim. They're just doing their part in keeping it going.

Usually it's "something" because Liberals tend to deny any personal responsibility of any kind.

Unless it's racism, misogyny, xenophobia, sexism, fascism, homophobia, bigotry, etc., those traits are attributed to people; usually whites, males, white males, conservatives, anyone who disagrees with the left/"a person of color"/a woman/a homosexual/a "transgender"/etc ............

Ray

Unless it's racism, misogyny, xenophobia, sexism, fascism, homophobia, bigotry, etc., those traits are attributed to people; usually whites, males, white males, conservatives, anyone who disagrees with the left/"a person of color"/a woman/a homosexual/a "transgender"/etc ............

Ray
They've weaponized those, being the intolerant souls that they are. good times

A badge is a sign that a person is to be trusted with all things including, but not limited to gun safety
Mmmmm pb-130128-seattle-missile-launcher-jsa-1.grid-6x2.jpg

Just slap your very official looking CCW permit down, and tell them you graduated from a rigorous government training course (taught by women) and homeland security background investigation and that it took years to get your diploma.

One thing I know about liberals is, how vulnerable they are to believing BS. They'll see the good in anything if it comes from the government.

Saw a report last week on Twitter of a guy open carrying in a store in the PDX area. Police were called, their response? "Is he doing anything suspicious or aggressive?" They responded, "no". To which they responded "then no response is necessary as it's legal to open carry." Surprised me a bit, especially coming from Portland, but it was the correct response. Probably left the caller with their jaw laying on the floor.

Obviously, the thought of folks carrying doesn't bother me in the least, in fact, I feel safer knowing that others do carry. Open carry isn't my choice, but I don't have a problem with others doing it, so long as it's not those folks that sling an AK or AR over their shoulder or walk down the street in low ready position just to get YouTube hits. Carry a pistol, in a holster and it's fine. I've seen it a few times, including at the Clackamas County Fair - and not once did I see anyone give the guy a 2nd glance.

Since facts mean little to the anti's, whose only arguments stem from fear/emotion and misinformation, it would be nice if we could get them to function rationally long enough to address a few questions such as:

When is the last time you saw a bad guy walk in to a place, with a properly holstered gun, who then proceeded to start shooting? Same question for those that lawfully carry concealed - where are the documented cases of lawful CHL/CPL folks going in and robbing or shooting up a place?

Plenty of videos and stories of bad guys doing bad things with guns - can anyone recall even one incident where that bad guy walked into a place with a gun in a proper holster? I can't think of a single case. Rather, the bad guys hide them in pockets, under a jacket or shirt, or come bursting in, gun already in hand, ready to do some damage.

No, this is all a perception issue, and one that can't be treated with facts, logic or reason. The panic/fear mentality of the anti's are so triggered by those that want to keep them on edge, they're physically unable to see reality as it pertains to law abiding gun owners. Too bad too, because, statistically, they're likely safer with us around than when we're not around.

Living by emotion, instead of reason. Comes from listening to the wrong people... the kind at school, work, Starbucks, or on the news that spread and promote both fear and new social norms.

Unless you can get them to turn off the TV news, etc, I don't think you can get them to change. Emotionally driven people do not respond to logic.

LOL!!! You are absolutely right, but I carry because I watch TV news! That schmit will scare the little brown apples out of you! :D

I think we have all piled on to this one pretty well. The problem here is one of familiarity.

People are not exposed to firearms as they once were a mere 40 years ago. Firearm safety isn't taught in schools, firearms aren't put in front of anyone except when being shown as extremely dangerous.

When a firearm is seen in public, people get scared and revert to child like behavior and defer to an adult. In most cases that means calling the police. This is a valid action, but could be avoided with some familiarity.

That's why I think something like organized awareness groups like every 2nd matters is important. We should also always try to start conversations with people and be willing to teach people.

I know general population is curious about firearms but may believe that it's too difficult to get into. I have seen time and again new shooters come in to the local range that have no idea what they're doing. If they have a bad experience, or don't feel safe that one time, it's all over. But I think that curiosity is there and we should focus on engaging those folks.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews