JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In South Korea the idea of gun ownership is not popular (unsurprising as owning a gun in South Korea isn't a real thing). I also lived in NJ for almost a decade.

So until adulthood, did not like em. After growing up and living in a free state, I end up changing my mind.

In South Korea the idea of gun ownership is not popular (unsurprising as owning a gun in South Korea isn't a real thing). I also lived in NJ for almost a decade.

So until adulthood, did not like em. After growing up and living in a free state, I end up changing my mind.

I'm trying to remember if I had my firearms with me when I was stationed in NC. I think I had a shotgun, a .32 Beretta, and an old army issue 1911. But I don't remember ever shooting while I was there. Spent all my spare time fishing... it was GRAND!

The national zeitgeist went feminine about 20 years ago. A whole generation was raised without fathers, and a whole different set of priorities emerged. The average suburban teenager lacks a wholesome rigor in his/her life. And the same kids who grow up forgetting to change the oil in their car, become afraid of firearms. They grow up to be adults who don't trust anyone with firearms because they don't trust themselves with a lawn mower. If you have kids, show them how to use hand tools, how to connect the Nintendo to the TV, how to be curious, and be hands on. And especially if you have girls. These things build confidence. Challenges build confidence. A gun is just a tool. Making everything easy for people only makes people afraid of each other and of the world around them.

There's a commercial with two teenage boys, 16-17-18? Standing there on the cell phone trying to get someone to come and put the spare tire to their little Toyota, or what ever. He's holding a pry bar and ends up asking "Is this a lug wrench" Makes me scream at the TV. DAMN! Now I hear car companies are not even putting spare tires in their cars anymore! Makes me think of the old song "In the year 2525"!

It's also supposedly good to show a man being clueless in advertising. Really enforces that dependence on specialized folks to do even menial tasks like changing a tire.

And anyways, Elon musk won't allow their Tesla to get a flat.

I'm trying to remember if I had my firearms with me when I was stationed in NC. I think I had a shotgun, a .32 Beretta, and an old army issue 1911. But I don't remember ever shooting while I was there. Spent all my spare time fishing... it was GRAND!
The fishing is good... Especially if you like catfish as much as I do. Hell, one of the reasons I don't like driving a sedan is I can't go fishing with one!

Having relaxed gun laws is a really nice bonus as well. Not many, if any, states I would prefer to live in.

But I don't think it is as much like it was when I was there... '76 '77.

Well fishing was good. Mostly fished for largemouth bass and bluegills, but I also went for striper, and loved fishing on the beaches for bluefish!

The messengers in downtown PDX are the worst. Blowing stop signs and lights with nary a thought about traffic, weaving in and out of lanes, etc. Got nailed by one of them as I was walking on the sidewalk a few years back, too. He had the gall to give me the finger as he rode off. Never mind the fact that the bags I was carrying went flying when he clipped me.
I've even had a few try to interfere with me when I was on a motorcycle. WTF? Look over their shoulder and see me in the other lane, then swerve over to cut me off. They need more and better lessons about a vehicle's stopping distance and the difference in weight between them and their vehicle vs. me and my vehicle (be it car or motorcycle). Of course, they probably think that physics takes a back-seat to being a SJW ("Oh, you're fighting for the people! Here, let me rescind those pesky laws for you.")

Nothing new with the bike messengers they did the same in 50's, 60's & 70's. Must have to be some of the biggest a*****es in the world to get that job.

I was in Fredmeyer the other day and I was carrying my 1911 in an avenger holster.

The coat I was wearing is shorter and and you can see an inch or two of the holster. I knew it could be seen but I don't give a crap, if it bothers people they can piss off.

I see a guy come walking fast up to me and he says: hey buddy, I just thought you should know you're showing.

I said I know I am, then he said well I just thought you should know and you should probably pull your shirt down over it and he walked off.

It kind of pissed me off! I would never go up to someone and do that, it is none of my business and it wouldn't bother me in the first place.

I rarely carry my 1911 as it is hard to conceal but I felt like carrying something different that day.

I always conceal carry but I have never gone out of my way to make sure I'm not printing or that it's sticking out from under my shirt.

What I was carrying.
View attachment 419089
It wasn't me, but I think he was trying to be helpful....and you SHOULD have taken it that way. Open carry is open and concealed is concealed. It's not Mix and Match

It wasn't me, but I think he was trying to be helpful....and you SHOULD have taken it that way. Open carry is open and concealed is concealed. It's not Mix and Match

So you're saying that if a very small amount of my firearm is showing then I should just open carry instead? Doesn't make much sense to me but whatever.

This thread made me lol pretty hard. Curious to know what the average age is on here, as I am a newcomer and I guess probably one of those damn kids who won't get off your lawn.

Thought I'd add a bit of perspective here - I grew up living in an area where it was completely out of the ordinary to have a firearm. I can't imagine what the reaction would be if someone rolled up in a coffee shop around here OC'ing but it's funny to think about. I guess coming from a background where guns and gun safety are a bit less emphasized, it can be intimidating to have someone blatantly open carrying. I know that as a person not raised around guns, when I see someone OC, my reaction is to quickly evaluate if the person carrying is a threat, not feel comforted that they are armed in case some adverse situation arises. I'd honestly prefer to get my coffee without that little adrenaline rush, although I recognize that folks have the right to carry and should do so if they want to. I guess it seems to me that people who OC in the city are probably looking for attention, honestly. I'm sure the situation is different elsewhere. Not trying to piss off anyone, just stating some facts as I see them.

It's easy to bubblegum on people with a different point of view, I guess.

FWIW, I own and enjoy a number of firearms. Myself and folks like me I think would like to be part of the community, but it's hard sometimes when we get accused of being pussies for not being beaten enough as kids or whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

What do you guys think-is common ground achievable somewhere?

I did not realize you had a "Partially Concealed Carry License" they are hard to get..

Whatever blows your skirt up.

When you get your CHL it doesn't say anything on the paper work or license that you absolutely have to make sure your weapon is concealed now that you have CHL.

I wasn't open carrying and I don't ever open carry, I just happened to be wearing a big gun in a lower riding holster.

You would never notice that I am carrying when I am wearing my M&P 45c that I carry everyday in an owb holster.

But I don't think it is as much like it was when I was there... '76 '77.

Well fishing was good. Mostly fished for largemouth bass and bluegills, but I also went for striper, and loved fishing on the beaches for bluefish!
Not much changes in the true south. Still good fishing spots, especially by the river.

A badge is a sign that a person is to be trusted with all things including, but not limited to gun safety

As a previous Badge Toter, I only wish that were completely true!
There are many ego driven people in law enforcement, just as there are in any line of work, perhaps more, I said "perhaps"!
What I'm seeing so often is those who are running scared an get out of their patrol cars with their hands already on their gun, there are many of these in videos shot by citizens, really makes me wonder what if any training they are receiving, that makes them over react.
Scares the crap out of me!
Gabby

Did they specify wether the hoplophobia was because of a pistol or a rifle being open carried.

Honestly, if I saw a guy open carrying a rifle I too would likely be concerned. Unless he is in the woods during hunting season in camo, I'd be highly cautious and likely concerned by a person walking down my street with a slung long gun.

WHY?

I have no hat in this ring/dog in this race, since I live in a country where only the police open carry, although there are over 3000 CCW permits, and the handguns to go with them, on issue in Northern Ireland - still, no open carry there.

However, I make the point that there are just some people who will make you look veeeeery closely at, simply because of their rather odd appearance. Even more so if they happen to be carrying a firearm, or, in this case, three.

An example of this is the one guy we saw up at Clark Rifles one time. I doubt he was much above five feet tall, and about the same around. He was wearing every single piece of military gear that he could hang on his spherical little body, including the very latest digital cammies. He wore TWO M1911 pistols - one on each thigh-holster. He also wore decent boots, and an ankle holster with a small Glock-like thing in it, and a couple of combat knives to round it off, if you'll forgive me using the phrase. Hanging off each upper arm was a MEDEPAC and NBCIA injector, as well as his blood group in black on black [shhhhhhhhhhhh]. Oddly, each arm was showing a different blood group, but then maybe he was from the next state down from Oregon, and there are some odd folks there, as we all know.

He shot everything he was carrying, and a few more that were on the bench in front of him, like Stevie Wonder, and perforated the air in a generous fashion twixt him and the targets, but I don't recall seeing much in the way of grouping, unless, of course making a pattern like a twelve gauge at 200 yards can be counted as such.

If I saw this guy walking down the street, I'd be gone behind some serious cover faster than you could blink.

tac

An example of this is the one guy we saw up at Clark Rifles one time. I doubt he was much above five feet tall, and about the same around. He was wearing every single piece of military gear that he could hang on his spherical little body, including the very latest digital cammies. He wore TWO M1911 pistols - one on each thigh-holster. He also wore decent boots, and an ankle holster with a small Glock-like thing in it, and a couple of combat knives to round it off, if you'll forgive me using the phrase. Hanging off each upper arm was a MEDEPAC and NBCIA injector, as well as his blood group in black on black [shhhhhhhhhhhh]. Oddly, each arm was showing a different blood group, but then maybe he was from the next state down from Oregon, and there are some odd folks there, as we all know.
Hi Tac, Wow! I have been a member of Clark Rifles for 30 years. Never saw anything like the tard
you describe.:confused: They band open carry a couple years ago and I thought it was a stupid idea
not to allow open carry at a gun club. But now I am not so sure.:eek::eek::eek: I shoot matches
at all the area gun clubs. I have seen matches that say 'No BDUs' or no camo. Some service
rifle matches are attended by shooters wearing BDUs. Most are active military reserve. I was at
an appleseed once a guy showed up with a big combat knife strapped to his thigh.:eek:

I have no hat in this ring/dog in this race, since I live in a country where only the police open carry, although there are over 3000 CCW permits, and the handguns to go with them, on issue in Northern Ireland - still, no open carry there.

However, I make the point that there are just some people who will make you look veeeeery closely at, simply because of their rather odd appearance. Even more so if they happen to be carrying a firearm, or, in this case, three.

He shot everything he was carrying, and a few more that were on the bench in front of him, like Stevie Wonder, and perforated the air in a generous fashion twixt him and the targets, but I don't recall seeing much in the way of grouping, unless, of course making a pattern like a twelve gauge at 200 yards can be counted as such.

If I saw this guy walking down the street, I'd be gone behind some serious cover faster than you could blink.

tac
Reminds me of this

725DA33F-8D3D-4943-A692-F13351C455E4.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR