JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday, the wife and I went to Spokane to have breakfast with my sister and brother-in-law, both of whom I haven't seen in years.

At one point, the discussion turned toward guns, and my sister proclaimed that people, carrying openly, scare her to death. When I asked why, her husband stated "you never know what they're going to do". When I asked about police officers, I got the response "well, they're trained".

I followed up with questions about former military, off-duty cops, people carrying concealed, etc., and got the various negative responses, common with Liberals. So, I guess, unless you're wearing some kind of uniform...you can't be trusted with a gun?

Now, what I don't get is that these two people used to shoot. In fact, my sister used to sleep with a gun under her bed and was considered an excellent shot, by her husband. What happened to them, to change their beliefs, so radically???

I guess I'll just have to readdress the subject, next time we get together. If I discover any useful information, I'll come back and post it for the rest of you.

On a side note, I believe they would have been horrified to discover the S&W 340PD, in it's holster, beneath my un-tucked shirt and/or my wife's S&W 317 in her "concealed carry" purse.

Yup, I hear you. If I'm out and about and see someone OC'ing it frankly makes me feel better. At my old work we would occasionally get an OC'er. All I would do is surprise them by knowing what pistol it was and then that started some good chats about firearms. :)

her husband stated "you never know what they're going to do". When I asked about police officers, I got the response "well, they're trained".

This is a brainwashed mentality some people suffer from. It's usually prompted by a tragedy and then the screeching voices of the Liberal media claiming that "something needs to be done". Without any rational thoughts involved, something or someone has to be at fault and take blame. Usually it's "something" because Liberals tend to deny any personal responsibility of any kind. It's where the term "bleeding heart Liberal" came from... "That poor soul. If he didn't have access to that gun he wouldn't have tried to rob that store and shoot that person. He was a good kid so it has to be the gun's fault."
Not likely to change their minds, but it would be interesting to find out their reasoning for this swing. I'll bet your sister was swayed by bro-in-law.

Sounds like your sister converted to proggie-ism at some point. Most of my immediate family belongs to that religion. They seem to like their little safety bubble that insulates them from the dangerous place that the world is. They also tend to think that unarmed crime victims are morally superior compared to any gun owner who was able to prevent themselves from becoming a victim.
It's hard, if not impossible to reason with these people.

I was in Fredmeyer the other day and I was carrying my 1911 in an avenger holster.

The coat I was wearing is shorter and and you can see an inch or two of the holster. I knew it could be seen but I don't give a crap, if it bothers people they can piss off.

I see a guy come walking fast up to me and he says: hey buddy, I just thought you should know you're showing.

I said I know I am, then he said well I just thought you should know and you should probably pull your shirt down over it and he walked off.

It kind of pissed me off! I would never go up to someone and do that, it is none of my business and it wouldn't bother me in the first place.

I rarely carry my 1911 as it is hard to conceal but I felt like carrying something different that day.

I always conceal carry but I have never gone out of my way to make sure I'm not printing or that it's sticking out from under my shirt.

What I was carrying.
C64D4709-A7D2-49A6-97B3-D4FE9E603E37.jpeg

Living by emotion, instead of reason. Comes from listening to the wrong people... the kind at school, work, Starbucks, or on the news that spread and promote both fear and new social norms.

Unless you can get them to turn off the TV news, etc, I don't think you can get them to change. Emotionally driven people do not respond to logic.

Last Edited:
I am surprised that you would waste your time getting back together to readdress the conversation. Life is to short to waste on progressives.
It would be, at a minimum, interesting to learn what 'flipped the switch' for them since you mentioned they USED to be shooters/gun owners

If I notice someone carrying a firearm be it a open carry handgun , a long gun or even concealed carry ...
Yes , I will take a good long look at what and how they are carrying and their overall demeanor...
just to see what is what ... so to speak.

Open carry is legal here in Washington ...and if they wish to open carry , as long as they are safely going about their business...I have no reason to make their business , my business...

Not to say that I will go and make a , what I perceive as a safety call or remark , about how someone is carrying...it all depends on just what is going on at the time , place and just how receptive the other person appears to be...

Again the world would be much simpler if folks just stuck to their own business and kept out of other peoples business...
Andy

I was in Fredmeyer the other day and I was carrying my 1911 in an avenger holster.

The coat I was wearing is shorter and and you can see an inch or two of the holster. I knew it could be seen but I don't give a crap, if it bothers people they can piss off.

I see a guy come walking fast up to me and he says: hey buddy, I just thought you should know you're showing.

I said I know I am, then he said well I just thought you should know and you should probably pull your shirt down over it and he walked off.

It kind of pissed me off! I would never go up to someone and do that, it is none of my business and it wouldn't bother me in the first place.

I rarely carry my 1911 as it is hard to conceal but I felt like carrying something different that day.

I always conceal carry but I have never gone out of my way to make sure I'm not printing or that it's sticking out from under my shirt.

What I was carrying.
View attachment 419089

Maybe he thought you were unaware you were showing? Don't we always say "Concealed means concealed." I don't see me telling someone they're showing the bottom of the OWB, but I'd be thinking the guy might be a newb to CC. Just sayin'.

It would be, at a minimum, interesting to learn what 'flipped the switch' for them since you mentioned they USED to be shooters/gun owners

Watching MSM daily? And believing everything they hear?

Watching MSM daily? And believing everything they hear?
Possibly - but then they were most likely 'on the fence' anyway. I do not personally know ANYONE, who as along term gun owner, has ever 'changed sides' and went anti. Most are quite the opposite and lean MORE pro 2A given what they hear in the news.

I don't trust people that aren't dressed as nannies, nurses or doctors with babies.. an untrained person will surely drop little buttercup right on its noggin. otta be a law

Did they specify wether the hoplophobia was because of a pistol or a rifle being open carried.

Honestly, if I saw a guy open carrying a rifle I too would likely be concerned. Unless he is in the woods during hunting season in camo, I'd be highly cautious and likely concerned by a person walking down my street with a slung long gun.

Yesterday, the wife and I went to Spokane to have breakfast with my sister and brother-in-law, both of whom I haven't seen in years.

At one point, the discussion turned toward guns, and my sister proclaimed that people, carrying openly, scare her to death. When I asked why, her husband stated "you never know what they're going to do". When I asked about police officers, I got the response "well, they're trained".

I followed up with questions about former military, off-duty cops, people carrying concealed, etc., and got the various negative responses, common with Liberals. So, I guess, unless you're wearing some kind of uniform...you can't be trusted with a gun?

Now, what I don't get is that these two people used to shoot. In fact, my sister used to sleep with a gun under her bed and was considered an excellent shot, by her husband. What happened to them, to change their beliefs, so radically???

I guess I'll just have to readdress the subject, next time we get together. If I discover any useful information, I'll come back and post it for the rest of you.

On a side note, I believe they would have been horrified to discover the S&W 340PD, in it's holster, beneath my un-tucked shirt and/or my wife's S&W 317 in her "concealed carry" purse.
Just get a uniform and you're cool.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR