JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon has a law that states you can't just breast a grouse while in the field.
Got to leave the head and one wing attached till you get home or to camp. Used to use that method for years until a GW told us it is technically illegal to do. It also only works well if the bird is still warm.

I used to love grouse hunting, but for some reason got uninterested in killing grouse. Actually for some d@mn reason I've gotten less interested in killing anything I hunt. And I LOVE to hunt, just not the killing part. What the heck is wrong with me. :(

Same here. I only have hunted (not very successfully unfortunately) for the game meat for my dietary restrictions and it sits with me better then even grass fed no antibiotic yadda yadda beef.

Bison is good but at $10/lb and I'll eat a lb in one sitting, it's well above my budget for daily protein.

I was a killing machine in my early teens and pretty indiscriminate about my prey. Mostly birds (this was out in the boondocks) and squirls. One time I couldn't pull the trigger was on a rabbit in out field and the poor thing was so sure he was hinden that I was less then 10 feet from it and hesitated, then turned and walked away. I regret those years and try to make up for it now with as much kindness to animals as possible.

I'd still take down a good sized deer or elk if given the opportunity for a half a hundred to a couple hundred lbs of prime game meat.

I wouldn't enjoy the killing part though either.

nothing.

there is nothing wrong with not wanting to kill something and everyone has their own threshold. I don't kill anything I wont eat, personally. I give thanks to the animal I took for my sustenance. I don't mean to sound cheesy but really taking any life for food should be done with great respect for the animal hunted however you do it...
Great posting Koda,
It always good to give respect and thanks to the animal you just killed.
Nothing "cheesy" about it .
You the hunter just took an animal's life, it is a serious matter.
Being respectful of the animals you hunt and the world you hunt in is part of being a good hunter.
Andy

All great replies. I've never killed anything I didnt eat, except maybe some squirrels in my younger days.
I've taken my fare share of game animals, mainly elk, grouse, and ducks over the years, but the last couple years it's just been more about the hunting than filling my tag.
Deer season last year first day out any deer unit I shot at a buck with does but missed, and then had an opportunity to shoot him or one of the does again, had him in the crosshairs, but put the shotgun down, pulled out the iphone, and snapped some pictures instead. That was a very successful hunt in my book.
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Back to grouse hunting...

Just drive coastal forest roads, they were all over for me. Just be warned, I learned that .410 out of a Judge doesn't do anything but ruffle some feathers, even when fired at point blank. 20ga did the trick ;)

In Washington you can get your license at any time.
Here we can hunt grouse as long as you have a big or small game license and no stamp / tag needed for grouse.
You do need to report how many grouse you have taken however ...
And Sept. 1st is opening day here as well.
Andy

oops, I think I misunderstood a post above. I dug out the regs buried in my garage, Grouse opens Sept 1st in Oregon.

I can't wait. Rabbit and grouse to fill the freezer. Heck I think a guy can get more weight in those 2 than their deer and elk. If it's an up year for grouse.
They run in 6 year cycles and last year was great around here. A good shot,obviously not me,could have 5 each rabbits and grouse most any day they went out.
Now here,as it was in Sequim, guys hit the roads and turn their heads lights off later. Real early birds here.
So if it's a popular road,if you don't start before day break someone's eatin your supper.;)

I've never tried for Grouse here. Did some chuckar and quail when in NV. Wouldn't mind just walking around some logging roads to try and get some.

I see the flying footballs on the roads all the time.

Any pointers other than just hitting up the roads?

Can you call them in like chuckar?

I've never tried for Grouse here. Did some chuckar and quail when in NV. Wouldn't mind just walking around some logging roads to try and get some.

The only grouse call that really works for me , is when I call it quits for the day and start my jeep for home.
Then I'll see 'em all over the road , laughing at me , 'cause I can't shoot 'em LOL.
Andy

They love alder roads here on the west side. Find a 25 year old grass covered road that's mixed alder and chittum that's closed to vehicles and you should find them if they're there.
Their not find of being on the ground when it's raining so watch for them to be up in the branches at that time.
If you see them first, you stand a good chance, if they see you first and get the jump on you, well let's just say that I've sawed off a few branches trying to hit em as they do what they do so well.:confused:

They love alder roads here on the west side. Find a 25 year old grass covered road that's mixed alder and chittum that's closed to vehicles and you should find them if they're there.
Their not find of being on the ground when it's raining so watch for them to be up in the branches at that time.
If you see them first, you stand a good chance, if they see you first and get the jump on you, well let's just say that I've sawed off a few branches trying to hit em as they do what they do so well.:confused:
I know a few hiking trails that pretty much are as you just described.

I mostly liked to bird hunt. I miss it dearly. Didn't get any tags this year. This may be the saving grace.

I'll have to add grouse to the hunt along with squirrel.

If I read the regs right 22 is a okay to use for these little flying footballs. I couldn't find info on magazine limitations?

First post on NWFA and new hunter here.

Been shooting trap for a bit but I'm looking forward to trying my hand at grouse this fall. Signed up for the Oregon FW hunter education course. Might eventually try pheasant at Sauvie Island as well.

Me, excited about grouse hunting? What ever gave anyone that idea?

Dave's grouse #3.jpg Dave Blue Heaven pistol.jpg

First post on NWFA and new hunter here.

Been shooting trap for a bit but I'm looking forward to trying my hand at grouse this fall. Signed up for the Oregon FW hunter education course. Might eventually try pheasant at Sauvie Island as well.

Welcome aboard!
You'll have to forgive some of us "old grumps" here, most of these guys are some of the best resources you'll ever find.

I know a few hiking trails that pretty much are as you just described.

I mostly liked to bird hunt. I miss it dearly. Didn't get any tags this year. This may be the saving grace.

I'll have to add grouse to the hunt along with squirrel.

If I read the regs right 22 is a okay to use for these little flying footballs. I couldn't find info on magazine limitations?

Yes, you can use the .22, either rifle or pistol. In Oregon, the regs do not specify a magazine limit for a .22.

This thread here discusses that:

Rim fires on Grouse? (QUESTION ANSWERED)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top