JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
https://www.azfamily.com/news/natio...cle_05e3493a-a795-11eb-a753-b3209dff734b.html

Volunteers interested in reducing the amount of Bison at Grand Canyon should click here. Applications will be accepted for 24 hours beginning at 12 a.m. on May 3 through 11:59 p.m. on May 4. 25 applicants will be selected to form the pool, of which 12 volunteers will be chosen using a random lottery system.

I don't find a listing for the time zone - so just in case it is Zulu - or GMT - do read all the documentation, carefully, and early. Also, If it goes well, there will be future hunts.

Good Luck.

Horse with or without a saddle, though?

While buffalo were often hunted from horse back , by traders , trappers and tribes...
It was called Buffalo Running....and a special horse was used to do so .
Stalking was done as well

Two excellent period accounts of stalking are found in Francis Parkman's The Oregon Trail and Lewis Garrard's Wah-To-Yah and the Taos Trail.

I would stalk the buffalo , since I do know how to ride a horse...but do not own a horse , much less a "buffalo runner".
Andy

Madison Buffalo Jump was devastating to Buffalo, I don't think running them off the rim of the GC would leave much eatable meat. But it would be tenderized! Recovery would be challenge!
They're not going to let you keep any of the meat, anyway.

ETA - The meat is going to the Grand Canyon Tribal nations, which I'm a-okay with... I think that's a fine choice. But just didn't want you to get the wrong idea about what's gonna happen with those bison.

2nd Edit - Well, I'm wrong... I should have kept on scrolling. According to the FAQ, each volunteer team MIGHT get to keep a single bison between all team members. Everything else is going to the tribe.

I wonder if it will be like some other bison 'hunts'. Walk up and pop the animal in the head while it looks at you wondering WTF you're doing so close to it
"What is the difference between lethal removal and a hunt?
Lethal removal is a fundamentally different activity than hunting. Key differences include: (a) During lethal removal, the animals are destroyed primarily for management purposes; in hunting the animal is destroyed for recreational purposes. (b) Lethal removal is conducted under controlled circumstances under the direction and supervision of the National Park Service; hunting is performed at the hunter's discretion and with elements of "fair chase" present. (c) Lethal removal does not allow the person who killed the animal to keep the entire animal; hunting does. (d) Conclusion: Simply put, lethal removal serves a public purpose, while hunting serves both public and private purposes."

I'm guessing they're not observing Fair Chase and you're probably pretty close to right on the method.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top