JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well sheeez, now I will probably have to get a gun trust so my wife and kids can use and inherit my SBRs.
I did mine on an individual. My wife shoots it everytime we take it out. A trust may be in the future though for inheritance purposes.

@wired i have a question. Let's say I do the form 1 with a pistol and get the "free" stamp. After approval, is there a green light to put a rifle stock on it? Or would it have to retain the brace and be in its original configuration that it was in when the photo was taken? Seems like a loophole, or a trap, I don't want the latter.

@wired i have a question. Let's say I do the form 1 with a pistol and get the "free" stamp. After approval, is there a green light to put a rifle stock on it? Or would it have to retain the brace and be in its original configuration that it was in when the photo was taken? Seems like a loophole, or a trap, I don't want the latter.
There is no NFA classification of braced pistol. That would take a law amending the NFA. You'll be SBR'ing the gun. The position of the ATF is that your brace is a stock .

My observation would be, unless they add some kind of amendment to the laws/regs/rules, what serves as a buttstock (brace or stock) is irrelevant. You don't have to re-register an SBR if you replace the buttstock with a different buttstock - AFAIK.

I think they are just making a minimal effort to reduce the number of people who would try to get a free SBR stamp without having a brace - and maybe to set a precedent for "constructive intent/possession" in the future.

Stamps all around.

screen-shot-2019-09-13-at-1-53-22-pm-1568398166.png

I was under the impression that the amnesty would simply be "as long as you pay the tax to make them SBRs, we won't prosecute nor arrest you for owning unregistered SBRs"?
I agree with this, nowhere on this notice regarding a change to the structure of "form 1" does it say "free", "fees waived", etc. in regard to pistol brace stamps. There is mention of the word "amnesty" which by definition is forgiveness of some past/current crime. It does not mean "fees waived". Who knows what ATF will come up with but everyone is inferring "free stamps" and there is no info on that anywhere that I have seen.

I agree with this, nowhere on this notice regarding a change to the structure of "form 1" does it say "free", "fees waived", etc. in regard to pistol brace stamps. There is mention of the word "amnesty" which by definition is forgiveness of some past/current crime. It does not mean "fees waived". Who knows what ATF will come up with but everyone is inferring "free stamps" and there is no info on that anywhere that I have seen.
The reports I have seen are they are figuring out a way to change the efile system to allow for free amnesty registration and they are determining how much it will cost them

The reports I have seen are they are figuring out a way to change the efile system to allow for free amnesty registration and they are determining how much it will cost them
Who knows what they will come up with. It's possible they don't want to get into the same boat as EPA and get knocked down for "over reaching" by too big of an impact to the economy (such as happened with EPA). But that's pretty thin though. Who knows.

1968 machine gun amnesty is probably too old to be a guide too, but who knows. That one was a true amnesty. Illegal guns could be made legal if owners registered it during the 30 Day amnesty window.

My guess is this "amnesty" will be to say braces are illegal but if you register it you can keep it on that gun, but just a guess. A bit similar to the 1968 one in that sense. If that were the case then a person couldn't legally add a brace to another gun after the amnesty window closes.

Who knows what they will come up with. It's possible they don't want to get into the same boat as EPA and get knocked down for "over reaching" by too big of an impact to the economy (such as happened with EPA). But that's pretty thin though. Who knows.

1968 machine gun amnesty is probably too old to be a guide too, but who knows. That one was a true amnesty. Illegal guns could be made legal if owners registered it during the 30 Day amnesty window.

My guess is this "amnesty" will be to say braces are illegal but if you register it you can keep it on that gun, but just a guess. A bit similar to the 1968 one in that sense.
They have said they aren't grandfathering. It will be an SBR

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top