JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Slow trickling of Online stores starting to stock Guns with Braces again. Not that it stop most of us from just buying braces outright during the prohibition period. PSA is advertising two guns atm that are in stock. what do you all think about it? about damn time? 1699932310968.png

Late to this party, but this is my hindsight observation.

I'm not the kind of guy worried about the government knowing what they can find out pretty easily, so the brace amnesty debacle was sort of a bonus. I discovered through the magic of YouTube that I could DIY the ATF forms in two days--because I'm a procrastinator--with an eforms account, a crappy iPhone pic and an Amazon fingerprint kit and have a legal SBR. I literally filed my paperwork on the last day and it took about three to four months to get my approval, so I imagine that it'd be half that without a crisis line.

While I don't love paying $200 more for a lower I'd rather spend $200 on a lower and $50 on a real stock than $80 to $120 on a brace/fake stock. The crappy Amazon brace and pistol tube I have can be a placeholder till I get paperwork to let me bolt on a stock.

A downside is that short uppers were on a big discount for awhile but not so much a few months out.

Late to this party, but this is my hindsight observation.

I'm not the kind of guy worried about the government knowing what they can find out pretty easily, so the brace amnesty debacle was sort of a bonus. I discovered through the magic of YouTube that I could DIY the ATF forms in two days--because I'm a procrastinator--with an eforms account, a crappy iPhone pic and an Amazon fingerprint kit and have a legal SBR. I literally filed my paperwork on the last day and it took about three to four months to get my approval, so I imagine that it'd be half that without a crisis line.

While I don't love paying $200 more for a lower I'd rather spend $200 on a lower and $50 on a real stock than $80 to $120 on a brace/fake stock. The crappy Amazon brace and pistol tube I have can be a placeholder till I get paperwork to let me bolt on a stock.

A downside is that short uppers were on a big discount for awhile but not so much a few months out.
Are the waived tax stamp fee conversions going to remain such moving forwards, is my current concern.

ie, X months/years from now is ATF going to pull the "conditional" approval on all of them. "Poof" no longer SBR's...too bad for all!

AR's, yah just back to brace/buffer. Would suck, but easy enough.

I've an npap & a PTR that are a bit more spendy converting to a stock from a brace. Not permanent, but spendy. So would suck a bit more...

Are the waived tax stamp fee conversions going to remain such moving forwards, is my current concern.
So far, seems like it. It has been what, 8, almost 9 months since the end of the "amnesty" period?

ie, X months/years from now is ATF going to pull the "conditional" approval on all of them. "Poof" no longer SBR's...too bad for all!
Guessing that it would depend on who gets the House, Senate, Oval office this coming fall. As well as the progress in Federal District Courts to SCOTUS.

AR's, yah just back to brace/buffer. Would suck, but easy enough.

I generally prefer going the SBR route (have a couple)over a pistol brace, but SBR's never should have been NFA items to begin with, It's an offshoot of an unsuccessful attempt to include pistols that was later dropped.

That said, there are situations where a brace has advantages beyond the tax stamp
  1. Not being on a registry
  2. Not having to file paperwork if I move or take it across state lines
  3. Being able to treat it as a pistol for concealed carry. A folding stock short barrel pistol can be concealed in a small unobtrusive laptop/book bag. As a pistol it is covered by my CPL making for a great truck gun I can take wherever I go.

Last Edited:
The long awaited PSA AKS-74Us ("Krinkov") are also offered with braces, FWIW.

Personally I'd rather they leave them off and drop the price $80.

I agree with all who said braces are stupid.

I must be in the minority of brace appreciating folks: no tax stamp and they work.
I think many look at the clunky rubber ones and of course have that negative opinion but the Magpul, Shockwave 2.0 and Ar180 style of braces are awesome.
Compact, tool less adjustability, solid polymer (no rubber).. one "could" say they work as a stock in the event it accidentally touches the shoulder, but of course that's not their "intended purpose".. not at all.

So far, seems like it. It has been what, 8, almost 9 months since the end of the "amnesty" period?

Guessing that it would depend on who gets the House, Senate, Oval office this coming fall. As well as the progress in Federal District Courts to SCOTUS.
The Senate isn't likely to change much, and the Supremes won't for awhile unless something unexpected happens. It's possible (though not likely) that the Supremes might overturn the injunction on the brace rule, but I doubt that the amnesty "free" registrations will be impacted. The general rule is that once the government giveth something under a particular rule or law that it may not take that right/benefit away.

The whole point of the amnesty process was to avoid the argument that people who relied on the ATF rule to buy or make braced pistols that the ATF was reclassifying as SBRs would suffer a financial detriment—that might require compensation—or that agency action would make lawful braced pistol owners criminal without a way to comply with the law. They'd face the same legal arguments if they tried to rescind the registration and demand a tax stamp payment.

The Senate isn't likely to change much, and the Supremes won't for awhile unless something unexpected happens. It's possible (though not likely) that the Supremes might overturn the injunction on the brace rule, but I doubt that the amnesty "free" registrations will be impacted. The general rule is that once the government giveth something under a particular rule or law that it may not take that right/benefit away.

The whole point of the amnesty process was to avoid the argument that people who relied on the ATF rule to buy or make braced pistols that the ATF was reclassifying as SBRs would suffer a financial detriment—that might require compensation—or that agency action would make lawful braced pistol owners criminal without a way to comply with the law. They'd face the same legal arguments if they tried to rescind the registration and demand a tax stamp payment.
By "progress through Federal District Courts to SCOTUS"; i mean the pistol brace lawsuits regarding the ATF Final Rule thingy

By "progress through Federal District Courts to SCOTUS"; i mean the pistol brace lawsuits regarding the ATF Final Rule thingy
I think we meant the same thing. I didn't follow the case too closely, but I did think that the 5th Circuit already took one look at some aspect of the case (and I could be misremembering) —I think they overturned the trial court's preliminary injunction—but the 5th Circuit is still probably a sympathetic bench to hear the first level of appeal. If the government loses at that stage it might not even appeal to avoid the Supremes getting a chance to gut the ATFs authority or have the court perhaps invalidate the NFA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top