JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mods can throw a rock at me if this is not "legal" or gun related...

Dear Sir / Ma’am,

According to eBay records, you recently purchased an Aimpoint CompM4 on eBay. This optic is also known as the M68 CCO when it is issued to our Armed Forces. I am conducting a criminal investigation into the theft of several hundred of these sights from an Army unit here in Southern California. I have reason to believe the Aimpoint you purchased was one of the ones that were stolen from the Army and I am requesting your assistance to verify that. Please email to me the serial number of the Aimpoint you purchased, or if it is convenient for you, email me a picture of the sight including the serial number. This will assist me in my investigation to determine who was involved in the theft and sale of military property.

If you have any questions or would like to speak to me for any reason, please feel free to reply to this message or call the phone number listed below.

Regards,

XXXX

Homeland Security Investigations – Counter Proliferation Investigation Center / 501 W. Ocean Blvd, Suite 7200, Long Beach, CA 90802

Note that e-mail address and server check out to be government. Interesting times :)

Oh, and the question: if they decide to confiscate the item, do they have to provide a warrant for seizure (along with a receipt of property) ?

Question: Did you x out the guy's name, or is that how the mail arrived?

If it is how it arrived, I say it is BS as they left you with no way to confirm the validity of their claim.

If you yourself x'd it out, why "protect" their identity? If indeed you made the change, PM me with the name and I will personally call the angency in question and ask for that person after explaining why I needed to talk him/her to confirm, which is something you should have done. ;)

FD, any updates on this? This is actually intruiging, because there is a LOT of stolen items that get sold on eBay. It wouldn't surprise me to see that someone foolish enough to steal expensive hardware from inventoried hardware be dumb enough to sell it on an "open air" market that's easy to trace with the right authority.

No, still nothing. One member volunteered to call their office, but he hasn't yet followed up on that. I will update the thread when (if) any new information comes.

Hate to rain on the parade. BUT, the US Government does not corespond with anyone outside the Goverment by email. Snail mail only, on offical letter head. Period ...... If (and this has been circulated before) you get an email supposedly from the Government, it is bogus!!!!

Hate to rain on the parade. BUT, the US Government does not corespond with anyone outside the Goverment by email. Snail mail only, on offical letter head. Period ...... If (and this has been circulated before) you get an email supposedly from the Government, it is bogus!!!!

That has been repeated by many posters already. Do you have a reference to a federal law or regulation that supports that ?

Unless previously agreed upon, e-mail is not considered a legally binding or enforceable method of contact. Ask any attorney.

I would've waited on a phone call or something in the mail. Effort tends to be mutual with importance.

Unless previously agreed upon, e-mail is not considered a legally binding or enforceable method of contact. Ask any attorney.

I would've waited on a phone call or something in the mail. Effort tends to be mutual with importance.

They didn't order me to do anything. It was a non-binding request, but I have assisted nonetheless because I am a good citizen. Does it say anywhere
government can't seek assistance from citizens by communicating to them via e-mail ?

Personally I think it's a scam - if they were interested in your purchase of this item - they would contact you in person showing you proper ID. I think you just fell for a scam !

I doubt they would have contacted FD in person, the unit was stolen from southern California and he resides in Oregon. I don't think the guy investigating the theft could justify the long drive when he could just ask for the serial number over e-mail or on the phone.

And you don't think they don't have agents in every state ?? No this is a bogus email - they wouldn't send you an email on an obviously serious crime of stolen US property. :s0131:

They didn't order me to do anything. It was a non-binding request, but I have assisted nonetheless because I am a good citizen. Does it say anywhere
government can't seek assistance from citizens by communicating to them via e-mail ?

The problem is emails from Govt agencies can be faked all the time - by dirtbag scammers. But what you do is up to you - I just would not have responded to the email..

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) aims to prevent terrorist groups and hostile nations from illegally obtaining U.S. military products and sensitive technology, including weapons of mass destruction. The Counter-Proliferation Investigations Unit, part of ICE Homeland Security Investigations' (HSI) National Security Investigations Division, oversees a broad range of investigations related to export law violations. It enforces U.S. export laws involving military items and controlled dual-use goods, as well as products going to sanctioned or embargoed countries.

I find it hard to believe that they would contact you by email rather than having a HS Agent contact you in person. Something smells as it is too easy to fake an email from a Govt Agency to make you think that it was real. But then its your response - personally I wouldn't done it.

Here is a simple rule. If you get an email from someone you do not know, and it asks you to do something, before you reply to it, do a little research. Or not, your choice, but in the long run, most of this is bullbubblegum, and should be deleted as fast as you can reach the delete button. Just sayin.... In this case, I believe you have been dupped into doing the wrong thing. Just my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top