JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mods can throw a rock at me if this is not "legal" or gun related...

Dear Sir / Ma'am,

According to eBay records, you recently purchased an Aimpoint CompM4 on eBay. This optic is also known as the M68 CCO when it is issued to our Armed Forces. I am conducting a criminal investigation into the theft of several hundred of these sights from an Army unit here in Southern California. I have reason to believe the Aimpoint you purchased was one of the ones that were stolen from the Army and I am requesting your assistance to verify that. Please email to me the serial number of the Aimpoint you purchased, or if it is convenient for you, email me a picture of the sight including the serial number. This will assist me in my investigation to determine who was involved in the theft and sale of military property.

If you have any questions or would like to speak to me for any reason, please feel free to reply to this message or call the phone number listed below.

Regards,

XXXX

Homeland Security Investigations – Counter Proliferation Investigation Center / 501 W. Ocean Blvd, Suite 7200, Long Beach, CA 90802

Note that e-mail address and server check out to be government. Interesting times :)

Oh, and the question: if they decide to confiscate the item, do they have to provide a warrant for seizure (along with a receipt of property) ?

A warrant?
Don't you know we're at war! ?
That's what's scary... my legal kungfu only works with conventional legal issues.

Seriously though, won't they have to reimburse you for the money you paid for the aim point at least? Those things were pretty pricey last time I checked.

Only if it's a confiscation for the "public use". In this case it's evidence of a crime.

Although reading the letter it doesn't actually say anything about you turning over the aimpoint yet. Only asking for pics of the serial number.

I am thinking a step ahead. Once they run the number against the list it might come to match to one of the stolen ones. I doubt they e-mailed every purchaser of Aimpoints, most likely they are investigating a particular seller.

They will have to prove, by serial number, that the sight was in fact one of the sights that was stolen. If you do, in fact, have a stolen sight, they can sieze it...there is no doubt there.

I personally would not email them the serial number, but I would have them email you the list of stolen SN, and you can state in the email, if the SN is on the list you will turn yours into the local Sheriff. If they won't email the list to you, or your local sheriff, I would suspect a scam and would contact you local Sheriff.

Actually, I think PayPal's guarantee is exactly to cover you in case of a scam/stolen property.

They will have to prove, by serial number, that the sight was in fact one of the sights that was stolen. If you do, in fact, have a stolen sight, they can sieze it...there is no doubt there.

I personally would not email them the serial number, but I would have them email you the list of stolen SN, and you can state in the email, if the SN is on the list you will turn yours into the local Sheriff. If they won't email the list to you, or your local sheriff, I would suspect a scam and would contact you local Sheriff.

It is not a scam. I have already e-mailed the serial to the agent, as I am not going to obstruct an investigation. The question now is about the proper procedure of seizure of property by law enforcement. I suspect that if they find out that the item is indeed one of the stolen sights, they might request a volunteer surrender. I don't want to give government a free pass on Due Process, thus my question about warrants.

It is not a scam. I have already e-mailed the serial to the agent, as I am not going to obstruct an investigation. The question now is about the proper procedure of seizure of property by law enforcement. I suspect that if they find out that the item is indeed one of the stolen sights, they might request a volunteer surrender. I don't want to give government a free pass on Due Process, thus my question about warrants.

I am still skeptical..but what you have done is done...If they tell you it is on their list of stolen items I would suggest you surrender it at the local Sheriff's office tho, do not give out your home address even if they can find that information out easily. Then have the Sheriff verify the whole story for you.

I am still skeptical..but what you have done is done...If they tell you it is on their list of stolen items I would suggest you surrender it at the local Sheriff's office tho, do not give out your home address even if they can find that information out easily. Then have the Sheriff verify the whole story for you.

Yeah, that's a good one. Assuming they just don't show up at my door with black helicopters :D

that is a bs email bud, someone would have showed up on your doorstep if THEY were following the scopes. SCAM and i would tell them to pick it up in person if they ask for it back.

Was just thinking to myself, this is the type of thread/conversation I would have expected to read/hear about in Communist China/Russia, or Cold War East Germany, or 1995 Iraq/Iran or North Korea...

I'm simply dismayed to think we're calling this "Life in the good ole U.S. of A."

that is a bs email bud, someone would have showed up on your doorstep if THEY were following the scopes. SCAM and i would tell them to pick it up in person if they ask for it back.

You mean government has a ton of pencil-pushers they can send around the nation looking for $500 scopes ? Isn't it easier for them to send an e-mail first to seek cooperation from law-abiding citizens ?

One would think that they would send you a letter not an email. If the sellers account has been been accessed via a subpoena, they've already got your address.

I'm still thinking bs. It would be wise to request any further correspondence to be via snail mail on letterhead. My 2 pennies.

God this smells of a scam.

Really....a high level felony/military theft and they send pencil pushers and emails. Last guys i knew about who stole from the guard haven't been heard from in a while. Call a government office not the number on the email and do some verification before you just hand over info....or do what i would have done and tell them to kick rocks unless they want a face to face.

You mean government has a ton of pencil-pushers they can send around the nation looking for $500 scopes ? Isn't it easier for them to send an e-mail first to seek cooperation from law-abiding citizens ?

Really....a high level felony/military theft and they send pencil pushers and emails. Last guys i knew about who stole from the guard haven't been heard from in a while. Call a government office not the number on the email and do some verification before you just hand over info....or do what i would have done and tell them to kick rocks unless they want a face to face.

Not sure why it's so difficult to grasp - serial number of a scope is not the number of my bank account! Once something legally-serious follows, all the additional verification can take place as well!

So you either already sent it back and are refusing to accept that you got ripped off, or you are trolling. There is no logic in the argument that you received a real email.....someone already brought up subpoenas/legal process and I know I have brought up the fact that stolen government hardware being sold over a recoded media to random people doesn't get traced via kind emails requesting you send them your email/info...which is linked to your paypal acct...which you used to pay for your ebay item....which has a high chance of being a fake.....lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top