JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would have contacted my local sheriff's office about this.... I would not have given out my serial #. Actually I would have called DHS and talked to someone in charge and I would have investigated the matter. I personally wouldn't be scared if the DHS emailed me..... sounds like someone tried to pull one over you by scaring you with the whole DHS thing.

They can't keep the boarders closed, why would they want to investigate stolen optics? lol

They have time limits for disputes though, 45 days. I have tried opening a claim via PayPal today, and it failed stating transaction is too old. I funded that purchase from my amex, same issue -60 day limit. Purchase was in June...

I had someone hack my paypal account and daisy chain three transactions all barely under $50 dollars at like 11:58pm one night. The thing is that I have things setup to let me know if any amount is done through paypal immediately. So I called them up, three months later paypal said, sorry you aren't getting your money back to me, though I had signed statements from the three people I allegedly sent money to stating they had not requested nor expected the funds. (They too had those funds moved from their accounts to another). Thankfully my banking establishment stepped in and told PayPal they had indeed violated their terms of service and I would be getting my funds back. But three months of PayPal lying, just really upset me.

I received an e-mail from a former high govt official in Kenya who needed my banking information to send me over a billion Zimbabwean Pazooties which were held in an international escrow account, and he just needed my help to claim this sum. Do you think I shouldn't have sent him my account number & SSN? I'm sure all that money missing from my account is just an accounting error. :huh:

Last Edited:
I received an e-mail from a former high govt official in Kenya who needed my banking information to send me over a billion Zimbabwean Pazooties which were held in an international escrow account, and he just needed my help to claim this sum. Do you think I shouldn't have sent him my account number & SSN? I'm sure all that money missing from my account is just an accounting error. :huh:

You are very smart, congratulations!

It's a shame fd15k is such a backwoods yokel and is so prone to believe what is quite obviously an out and out scam. :s0131:

It's nice to see the "Know-All" of some forum members, and thier ability to hide any positive input to an honest question behind a childish insult that has no constructive bearing on the topic. Good job. Sorry about your situation fd15k.

Would you apply the same standard to yourself, and any property that could have been stolen from you and sold on Ebay ? Remember the thread about a gun that was found to be stolen after a member sold it to a LEO?

I remember two forum posts around the same time frame (one was here, the other on arfcom) about an incident like that, and one of them ended up sounding incredibly scammy.

I don't trust anybody until I get documentation to back up their claim.

As for this case, if you haven't heard back, it probably wasn't on their list of stolen items. The "agent" should have emailed you back to inform you of this.

No offense guys.... but really?

E-mails can be faked yes, but that fakery is pretty thin, once you start responding, you either get a bounce, or no response. That or someone hacked into a US government computer to scam you out of a used aimpoint.

Government agencies are just like everyone else, they use phones, and e-mails to communicate, especially when you're communicating over distance with someone about something that happened on the internet. Seems like a pretty good starting place 'eh?

I guess this mostly comes down to "if it seems like too good a deal, it probably is".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top