JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As several of y'all know.. I've been looking at some ideas to get some of my sewing stuff out of the apartment and away from the kids... and I do now have a treadle industrial base for a vintage Singer 31-15 machine... been looking at some of these ideas for a relatively mobile sewing space.. View attachment 1441893View attachment 1441894
Mobile upholstery repair/fab in a Ram cargo van

View attachment 1441895
Sprinter style minimalist set up, just a sewing machine and a table. Likely the fastest and easiest route regardless of what its inside, could be high top van, could be trailer, could be camper rv...

View attachment 1441896
Another upholstery shop on wheels, in a step van I think? More storage solutions and looks like sewing machine is centered.

For what it's worth... prices are generally similar between old running campers, good looking cargo trailers, box vans and step vans although step vans got more popular in the last 10 years for food carts and mobile clothes shops so prices on these are higher... .

Security would be a consideration; as would power, depending on the setup.. a treadle doesn't need electricity but the lights do...

Edit. A larger RV/motorhome could do double duty as both camp/survival vehicle and mobile shop; but then the issue of sufficient space and ensuring that the kids are safely strapped in their car seats would come up...
Have you considered an old bluebird or Thomas bus?

Have you considered an old bluebird or Thomas bus?
Yes, prices on buses are all over the place... but generally as high as step vans and box trucks.

Edit.for the big ones from Bluebird/Thomas, anywhere from $5,000 all the way up to the $85,000 home conversion beast I linked on FB :eek:

Smaller ones, generally Chevy or Ford van based; again between $4,000 and $40,000 depending on year, condition, running or not.

Last Edited:
The complete opposite of what would be good survival/bug out vehicles :s0140:

Luigi Colani was the designer for these. He also did a lot of artsy furniture and industrial designs that eschews right angles and sharp edges. Lord knows, how expensive and laborious repairing or replacing any of these things glass would be :eek:

U_18_397223316216_Scan10035copy.jpg U_57_194169952152_Scan10095.jpeg D9bfRf_X4AAlKdP.jpg TELEMMGLPICT000214712398_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqgAlh3uZqJyVpD0q9WHrSvgDiQB0ks0OTe8ztTf-odhA.jpeg colani-miura-1.jpeg 301px-LKW_Colani_Design.jpg kamion-budoucnosti.jpg 335919980_89d689cd77_o.jpg trucks_02.jpg trucks_01.jpg 1980_Colani_Mercedes-Benz_Truck.jpg 4a885631d9e974c186bcc65a5f96a876.jpg 1978_Colani_Truck_2001_01.jpg images.jpeg

I could live in this tank. Unfortunately over priced. A house is just a comfortable place to die. Seriously considering returning to 'vanlife' in this decade. That is if it would even be allowed anymore.

I had grand plans for converting my Dodge 3500 4x4 cab chassis (w/12' flatbed) to an RV

It is very EMP proof - a 12V diesel with no electronics and a manual transmission. Capable as a 4x4. All kinds of aftermarket support, bought for a decent price (especially compared to trucks today).

But the more I dived into what I wanted to do and the costs, the more I saw this wasn't going to be something I wanted to spend that much resources on (at least $100K).

Then today was the clincher. I've known for some time my health was a concern, especially if I get into a situation where I need to do strenuous exercise - like digging a stuck truck out of the mud/sand/snow.

Today I was using my leaf blower to move mowed grass/etc. off the road (neighbor periodically mows grass along the road and I help out by blowing the grass off the pavement) - before I was done, I had to stop several times and sit down to keep from collapsing from exhaustion, and by the time I finished I had to come inside and lay down.

This was not strenuous exercise by any definition - landscaping personnel do this all day. My neighbor who is probably as old as I am, often does this without taking breaks and I only did about half the road length - he did the rest.

So I am going to give up on those plans - probably eventually sell the truck and keep my pickup, putting some $ into it instead, but not as an RV.

I saw this on CL:

00F0F_9Jsd23Idrb_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

This rig speaks to me, saying "buy me!".

It is a 2011 5500 with a steel forestry hotshot crew box, that has been done decently, std wheelbase, more or less self-contained.

Smaller than I envisioned (I wanted a 12-13' camper with all the amenities and space), but when I saw this as a relatively compact not too heavy robust rig, it just really appealed to me. "Small" has its benefits; lighter weight, tighter turning circle, less chance of getting high centered, lower COG, blends in as a service truck instead of an RV - easier to hide.

But even at ~$60K - too much for my budget, especially with the way the stock market has been for the last 3 years (I am still about $30K down from my peak). So I will pass (unless something changes in my finances).

Box van.

4x4 Conversion

RV conversion parts for the box. Walla an interesting 4x4 camper, though one looks suspiciously like an old ambulance box... View attachment 1445441View attachment 1445442View attachment 1445443
I am not a fan of van 4WD conversions - when you need parts it is no fun to walk into a parts store and try to explain that the rear axle on your converted '72 Datsun PU is actually from a '68 Jeep Wagoneer, with two short side axle shafts and that the front axle is a Dana 44 with Dana 30 knuckles, and that the driveshafts are custom made (I forget where the U-joints came from) - but it was nice that the front & rear drive shafts were interchangeable (I spec'd them that way).

Now a FL or other class 6-8 truck converted to 4WD or 6WD usually uses factory parts as they have the same frame and parts, and the truck industry is used to such customization as such trucks often come off the line more or less custom spec'd (especially DTNA trucks).

I am not a fan of van 4WD conversions - when you need parts it is no fun to walk into a parts store and try to explain that the rear axle on your converted '72 Datsun PU is actually from a '68 Jeep Wagoneer, with two short side axle shafts and that the front axle is a Dana 44 with Dana 30 knuckles, and that the driveshafts are custom made (I forget where the U-joints came from) - but it was nice that the front & rear drive shafts were interchangeable (I spec'd them that way).

Now a FL or other class 6-8 truck converted to 4WD or 6WD usually uses factory parts as they have the same frame and parts, and the truck industry is used to such customization as such trucks often come off the line more or less custom spec'd (especially DTNA trucks).
I could be wrong but I think these specific Ford E series box vans used similar chassis if not the same drivetrains as the Ford F series, at least for the 3rd to 4th generation, 1975 all the way to 2015 models?

I had grand plans for converting my Dodge 3500 4x4 cab chassis (w/12' flatbed) to an RV

It is very EMP proof - a 12V diesel with no electronics and a manual transmission. Capable as a 4x4. All kinds of aftermarket support, bought for a decent price (especially compared to trucks today).

But the more I dived into what I wanted to do and the costs, the more I saw this wasn't going to be something I wanted to spend that much resources on (at least $100K).

Then today was the clincher. I've known for some time my health was a concern, especially if I get into a situation where I need to do strenuous exercise - like digging a stuck truck out of the mud/sand/snow.

Today I was using my leaf blower to move mowed grass/etc. off the road (neighbor periodically mows grass along the road and I help out by blowing the grass off the pavement) - before I was done, I had to stop several times and sit down to keep from collapsing from exhaustion, and by the time I finished I had to come inside and lay down.

This was not strenuous exercise by any definition - landscaping personnel do this all day. My neighbor who is probably as old as I am, often does this without taking breaks and I only did about half the road length - he did the rest.

So I am going to give up on those plans - probably eventually sell the truck and keep my pickup, putting some $ into it instead, but not as an RV.
You're not exactly silent about your physical condition and that played in the back of my mind during all the iterations you mentioned.
In the end, you might be best served with a regular ol' motorhome.
Just climb inside, turn the key and go....know what I mean?

...and so, submitted for your consideration, here's a 4x4 motorhome. Made in Yakima. The OP is from Portland.

Don't do it Heretic! Physical condition issues or not. Act like an old man, become an old man. Stay in denial like me.

Your tips and advice on vehicles here has been excellent BTW. If I was retired and ready to go explore the world, that Cummings Dodge looked like the ticket. The seller pics appear they are hiding a lot though, no real cab/inside pics etc. 10-sec videos.

You're not exactly silent about your physical condition and that played in the back of my mind during all the iterations you mentioned.
I tend to share more than I should, but I like to put things in context. For a while I was thinking I could still do this, but about 12 years ago I had an incident before I moved here and years before I finally saw a doctor about my heart - while out riding my dirt bike. If I had not been riding with someone else I would have been stuck out in the woods - I did ok, until I couldn't anymore, and then I needed help to get out of the woods. It had gotten dark and cold and I wasn't dressed for the cold. I just didn't have the stamina I used to have, despite having been getting in decent shape by working up to the sport (riding off-road is really hard work).

I should have gone to a doctor then.

In the end, you might be best served with a regular ol' motorhome.
Just climb inside, turn the key and go....know what I mean?

...and so, submitted for your consideration, here's a 4x4 motorhome. Made in Yakima. The OP is from Portland.

Considering the costs and my condition and the fact that I want to winter in NZ, I have looked into the cost of renting something like this in NZ. Can't find a 4WD version - yet. Just the same, might be sufficient to rent a standard one for my first trip.

My parents spent considerable $ on a full sized motorhome and then sold it for a huge depreciation a few years later. At first my mom like it, then after a few years they mostly just parked it instead of traveling around. After she had a stroke they had to park it for a little while, then my dad got cancer, and they settled down in NV and bought a house there, then he Parkinson's/Dementia and they moved back to Oregon.

My dad gave up flying (he was a pilot) due to his health and after that he mostly just sat around (flying was his life) until he died of cancer (he would have been in assisted living had he not died in the hospital).

Some of their friends wanted to sail around the world after retiring - they bought and reconditioned a trimaran, sailed it from Oregon to California, then the husband got sick, they sold the boat and he died. He would have died on their first deep ocean trip and she would have too trying to sail the boat by herself. Neither were really in any condition to do that kind of thing.

My point is, when you get old, stuff happens. Often faster than you expect.

Last Edited:
Don't do it Heretic! Physical condition issues or not. Act like an old man, become an old man. Stay in denial like me.
Unfortunately when I try to act younger than I am, doing simple stuff like mowing a lawn, my body reminds me that it is older than it looks, and my cardiologist isn't encouraging either.

Your tips and advice on vehicles here has been excellent BTW. If I was retired and ready to go explore the world, that Cummings Dodge looked like the ticket. The seller pics appear they are hiding a lot though, no real cab/inside pics etc. 10-sec videos.
There were other CL ads with more pics and I did a google search and found some. For a few minutes I was toying with cashing out an IRA and buying it.

Not sure if the CL ads are legit (first thing to make sure of), but the vehicle was on the Expedition Portal a year ago and reportedly was sold (or maybe they just took it down) - the thread was deleted.

Anyway, one has to do their due diligence - it isn't like buying a $500 gun.

I may sell my truck - I got if for what is now considered a good price, but it needs work (like many 4x4 Dodges of the era, the front end is loose & the 5th gear is gone). OTOH - you don't find many 153" WB cab chassis 4x4s with a reg cab, Cummins, manual and a 12' flatbed. Would still be a good SHTF vehicle.

Did some research on the Ford E series. Looks like they indeed share drivetrains with Ford F series trucks, so 4x4 front axles from F series and the transfer cases should be a matter of bolting on with certain suspension upgrades but that reminds me, the Quigley 4x4 E series are way more expensive than they should be?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews