JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was on the front page of my newspaper today. I tried to find an online link for it, found paywalls so you'll have to look into it yourself. The article says, in part, the individual was described as anti-government and a doomsday prepper. The guy called 911 because a blasting cap went off in his hand. Which caused police to get a warrant to search his car, which in turn yielded what was ID'd as a live grenade. His car was parked in the Aerospace Machinist's union lot.

Arrested for unconstitutional laws…

They had explosive cannon bombs/balls during the revolutionary war. I didn't see a spot in the constitution that said, "none of this applies to technological advancements."

My curiosity is how it became know he had it, because there are a lot of inert and fake grenades in civilians hands.

Edit: read the article, so he outed himself by hurting himself and needing medical and it sounds like his woman outed him also.

Could have been a firework that was improvised.

An unemployed rocket surgeon.
Well, possibly an aerospace connection anyway. Car parked in the Aerospace Machinist's union parking lot, not far from the Boeing Company. Could be a disgruntled Boeing guy. As opposed to gruntled, is that better? I have occasion to drive along 526 when they let the inmates out of the Boeing monkey house, definitely intimidating drivers. Spend 8 to 10 hours a day in there, stringing wire or popping rivets or whatever they do, many are ready to blow their fuse when they get out. Said with all respect, of course.

Talk about deja vu. Over 35 years ago, I lived in Long Beach, Calif. Near the Douglas Aircraft plant. It was the same story with Douglas employees getting off work.

Arrested for unconstitutional law
Theoretically, civilians can own grenades legally. But they are an NFA controlled item, and as a destructive device, permits are needed and fees need to be paid. As a practical matter, I don't know if the ATF gets many such requests because grenades are made for the military and police forces, it might be difficult to buy one legitimately.

Is the NFA and revisions thereto unconstitutional? Court decisions have ruled that it isn't.

Does the 2A grant complete freedom to own any weapon you want? Courts have ruled against this many times. I don't think common citizens had explosive cannon balls in the American Revolution. Which was before the 2A, actually, which came along in 1791.

One question comes to my mind about the guy and his injury from a blasting cap. Just what was he doing with that? Was he in the process of setting up to blow something up?

This is a pretty good example of how people get caught doing stupid stuff. Often enough, the stupid thing they did leads to other things.

Theoretically, civilians can own grenades legally. But they are an NFA controlled item, and as a destructive device, permits are needed and fees need to be paid. As a practical matter, I don't know if the ATF gets many such requests because grenades are made for the military and police forces, it might be difficult to buy one legitimately.

Is the NFA and revisions thereto unconstitutional? Court decisions have ruled that it isn't.

Does the 2A grant complete freedom to own any weapon you want? Courts have ruled against this many times. I don't think common citizens had explosive cannon balls in the American Revolution. Which was before the 2A, actually, which came along in 1791.
You'd have to consider the intent of the 2nd amendment before applying a lense of what people did or did not personally possess.

If the intent was/is, to help prevent tyrannical government action (relevant to the birth of this nation and something they were personally familiar with) it wouldn't do much good if the government you are concerned about becoming tyrannical can decree that the citizenry isn't allowed to own the arms similar to what the government possesses.

With respect to the courts. Asking the government to see its infringement as infringement is like asking a wolf what is a fair amount of sheep it should eat and not taking the sheep's opinion into consideration.

Edit: before 1791 when the bill of rights was included as some of the first amendments to the constitution I am not aware of ANY laws that pertained to personal ownership of ANY arms. So you have to consider that it was absolute freedom that was then codified as something that "shall not be infringed."

Last Edited:
This was on the front page of my newspaper today. I tried to find an online link for it, found paywalls so you'll have to look into it yourself. The article says, in part, the individual was described as anti-government and a doomsday prepper. The guy called 911 because a blasting cap went off in his hand. Which caused police to get a warrant to search his car, which in turn yielded what was ID'd as a live grenade. His car was parked in the Aerospace Machinist's union lot.
I wonder how he touched the cap off?

I take exception to the term "prepper" because at least to me, a prepper is someone who prepares, I mean, it's kind of right there in the name, right? You prepare for something, you don't cause something. From the sound of it (and only based on the reporting so far) this guy sounds like he *may* have been trying to hurry things along so whatever he thought he was preparing(sic) for would happen soon enough for him to still be around to see it go down. Of all the people I have ever known that have been "preparing" for something, be it The End Times or TEOTWAWKI or whatever, I have yet to meet anyone that wasn't, in one way or another, also trying to stop it from happening.

I don't doubt that he believed he fit that name, but if it is correct that he was trying to hurry up the downfall or what have you, it's JMHO that he is not deserving of being called a Prepper.

I take exception to the term "prepper" because at least to me, a prepper is someone who prepares, I mean, it's kind of right there in the name, right? You prepare for something, you don't cause something. From the sound of it (and only based on the reporting so far) this guy sounds like he *may* have been trying to hurry things along so whatever he thought he was preparing(sic) for would happen soon enough for him to still be around to see it go down. Of all the people I have ever known that have been "preparing" for something, be it The End Times or TEOTWAWKI or whatever, I have yet to meet anyone that wasn't, in one way or another, also trying to stop it from happening.

I don't doubt that he believed he fit that name, but if it is correct that he was trying to hurry up the downfall or what have you, it's JMHO that he is not deserving of being called a Prepper.

I believe that you are spot on correct.

But that is not the way this story will play to the public at large.

(My Humble Opinion) The term "Prepper" and "Gun Nut" are used synonymously in the media and the general public sees them that way.

Many, of not most, of the people who read this story will lump this dim-wit in with anyone who owns a firearm. (Again, this is my opinion.)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews