JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The WW prefix pistols are made in Brazil. The NM pistols are finished in the states. The NM pistols are usually fit better, better trigger. There are some very well fit WW pistols (I own one) but sounds like the fine detail, finish work isn't there like on the NM pistols.

Either way they are both covered by springfields warranty (one of the best in the business) all made with the same parts. Either one will outshoot and satisfy most people.
There is nothing wrong with the WW prefix guns especially for your first 1911, I'm just very picky when it comes to attention to detail, I guess that comes with being a machinist.

The WW pistols can usually be found for less money as well.

The WW prefix pistols are made in Brazil. The NM pistols are finished in the states. The NM pistols are usually fit better, better trigger. There are some very well fit WW pistols (I own one) but sounds like the fine detail, finish work isn't there like on the NM pistols.

Either way they are both covered by springfields warranty (one of the best in the business) all made with the same parts. Either one will outshoot and satisfy most people.
There is nothing wrong with the WW prefix guns especially for your first 1911, I'm just very picky when it comes to attention to detail, I guess that comes with being a machinist.

The WW pistols can usually be found for less money as well.

I guess I better avoid the WW pistols then cause I have better than 20/20 vision and notice the tiniest imperfections in the finish or metal on most guns,that is the reason I mainly look for stainless guns vs blued.

Is the Remington R1 available in stainless for a decent price?

I have no idea, I just picked up an R1 Enhanced blued for 750 at Sportsman's Warehouse, I don't know about the stainless, but the regular models are less expensive. Remington is also offering $75 cash back or a new Storm Lake Barrel, ported, threaded or match until the end of May I believe. The Fred Meyer in Oregon City has a Stainless Ruger for 659.99 or 689.99,I can't remember which.

Fred Meyer in Oregon City had the Ruger SR1911 5" yesterday and it was $699. We have one and it's been a runner since the first day I shot it. A friend has a Remington R1 and is as pleased with it as I am with the Ruger.

Either one of these will get you a very good gun for your money.

I didn't think I would need to since I put the price range above what budget 1911's should go for.

There's a difference between cheap and inexpensive. My suggestion is to check out the reviews on these guns before you knock them.

A good 1911 will run you about a $1,100 for the most basic model. By putting a <$700 cap you're knocking off a lot of name-brand 1911s.

SIG GSR
Ed Brown
Springfield
Kimber
Wilson Combat

All great manufacturers, all about $1,100+ each.

Minus your excluded 1911 brands, that gives us

Taurus
Rock Island Armory
Remington
Ruger (which I didn't know made 1911s until this thread)

Just to name what I can recall off the top of my head. You can probably get a used Springfield for about that price, but my suggestion is to not exclude any 1911 brands.

If you're not willing to pay more than $700 for a good 1911 then why not just get a Girsan? I haven't found a bad review for them yet and even if it's not what you wanted you're not out more than a few bills.

This is just my opinion, take it or leave it but you definitely should have said which brands you wanted to stay away from and what brands you prefer in the original post.

Another thought, one I've not seen mentioned yet.
Buy a used Colt. I've seen a handful recently for the $700 mark... Most are Series 80 guns, which I don't prefer, but are still great guns.

FYI, and not just my opinion, Kimbers are very pretty, but quality can be iffy and my experience with their Customer Service leaves much to be desired. However, like Glocks, you'll find many people who disagree with me about Kimbers.
I'm sure Riot meant to say Ed Brown, not Ed Browning. Brown and Wilson Combat guns are at least double the $700 mark, if not a bunch more. If you are thinking of spending $1500 or better for a new gun, Dan Wesson is a fantastic option.
As far as reviews go, I've not seen one for Remington or Ruger that was less than satisfactory. Sig, either.

There's a difference between cheap and inexpensive. My suggestion is to check out the reviews on these guns before you knock them.

A good 1911 will run you about a $1,100 for the most basic model. By putting a <$700 cap you're knocking off a lot of name-brand 1911s.

SIG GSR
Ed Browning
Springfield
Kimber
Wilson Combat

All great manufacturers, all about $1,100+ each.

Minus your excluded 1911 brands, that gives us

Taurus
Rock Island Armory
Remington
Ruger (which I didn't know made 1911s until this thread)

Just to name what I can recall off the top of my head. You can probably get a used Springfield for about that price, but my suggestion is to not exclude any 1911 brands.

If you're not willing to pay more than $700 for a good 1911 then why not just get a Girsan? I haven't found a bad review for them yet and even if it's not what you wanted you're not out more than a few bills.

This is just my opinion, take it or leave it but you definitely should have said which brands you wanted to stay away from and what brands you prefer in the original post.

I mainly buy used so I know the pricing is going to be cheaper vs a gunstores price(no markup) and I don't don't trust lesser brands except for taurus's metal framed handguns,RIA is completely out of the question I've shot my friends RIA government model right next to my cousins Ruger SR1911,the RIA's accuracy was terrible with 230g jmf,185 swc,and 165 grain sjhp.The gun is going to be a bedside gun and occasional carry piece and I don't trust a RIA accuracy enough or the finish to hold up to justify using it for said purposes.

Buy a used Colt. I've seen a handful recently for the $700 mark... Most are Series 80 guns, which I don't prefer, but are still great guns.

FYI, and not just my opinion, Kimbers are very pretty, but quality can be iffy and my experience with their Customer Service leaves much to be desired. However, like Glocks, you'll find many people who disagree with me about Kimbers.
I'm sure Riot meant to say Ed Brown, not Ed Browning. Brown and Wilson Combat guns are at least double the $700 mark, if not a bunch more. If you are thinking of spending $1500 or better for a new gun, Dan Wesson is a fantastic option.
As far as reviews go, I've not seen one for Remington or Ruger that was less than satisfactory. Sig, either.

Great suggestion though I don't think I've ever seen a colt that cheap,but it would be great to own one from the original maker.

I'm trying to steer clear of the budget brands like : girsan,metro arms,ati,ria,ect......

Metro maybe not be a high priced gun, but it is a high quailty gun. When I bought mine 3 years ago I had several people testing and checking it out. They all were impressed by the amount of gun for the price.
I shoot and carry it as much as I do a kimber fullsize. Your welcome to come visit KRRC and shoot mine.

Hard to beat that Ruger SR1911 in the price range you mentioned. A buddy just got one and we put about 500 rounds through it yesterday afternoon. We didn't clean it before or during shooting, just started shooting. We didn't need to make any sight adjustments, it shot to point of aim at about 10 yards and grouped well. After a while I got bored of the close range stuff and started plinking at an old propane tank someone had left there at about 70 yards. By the time we decided to pack it up for the day I had danced the tank another 30 or so yards further down range. Needless to say I have been less impressed by much more expensive 1911's on the market. No FTF or FTE, the gun ran flawlessly. If I were in the market for a 1911, I would definately check out the Ruger.

The first day I got my Ruger I cleaned it and headed to the range, I ran 500 rounds with no issues, next day ran another 500 rounds of carry ammo without a cleaning. It didn't have a single problem. I'm not sure how many thousands are down the barrel of mine but I don't think I've cleared a single malfunction.
I didn't care for them when they first came out, I almost bought one but it felt real gritty and I just didn't like it. Last august I started looking for another 1911 and the Ruger kept getting brought up on all the forums. I checked them out again a little closer and came home with the CMD. After the first couple of hundred rounds the gritty feeling was gone.

I haven't seen a Colt under $1k (even used) since before 2008...

I am one of the few guys that actually agree with you. I've heard of way too many issues with the Kimbers- mostly them jamming out of the box. Their "break-in period" can be anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 bullets.

I'm sure Riot meant to say Ed Brown, not Ed Browning.

Yes I did, good catch.

Brown and Wilson Combat guns are at least double the $700 mark, if not a bunch more. If you are thinking of spending $1500 or better for a new gun, Dan Wesson is a fantastic option. As far as reviews go, I've not seen one for Remington or Ruger that was less than satisfactory. Sig, either.

FYI, I thought Dan Wesson was sold out by CZ? Since then their prices have sky-rocketed almost to the $2K range.

From what I have seen the older Kimbers made in Oregon are good pistols, the quality went down when they moved to New York. For the money one would spend on a Kimber I would rather buy a Springfield.

I haven't seen a Colt under $1k (even used) since before 2008...

FYI, I thought Dan Wesson was sold out by CZ? Since then their prices have sky-rocketed almost to the $2K range.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/handgun-classifieds/163328-colt-combat-government-series-80-a.html
This one's $800. A bit out of the range listed, but still less than a grand. I've seen them pop up on here once in a while. My guess is you would need to be pretty quick to catch one in this price range. It looks like a great deal to me.

CZ still owns Dan Wesson. They ain't cheap, even when used, but the quality is impressive. I've owned a CBOB since 2009 and it's my EDC. In fact, if I had to pick just one of my handguns as "the one" this is it. Even my 1951 Colt Government, which is a beautiful, reliable and accurate gun, would go away before the Wesson.

Used Springfield Range officer or loaded would be on my list along with the Kimber Custom 2. Many have their favorite brands and want absolutely new. in this price range for a 1911 I would really only be looking used these days.

BTW irritatingly so, my HK USP 45 tactical out shoots my Springfield 1911's by orders of magnitude, it's huge and doesn't feel as good in the hand but shoots so much better that I don't want to part with it... Only accurate is interesting... Be careful not to get locked into something for the looks or 'features.' Buy the most accuracy you can for the money.

Para-USA is offering a $100 rebate on the purchase of any new 1911 for 2014. Just bought one, an Elite Commander. Retail price was $745 at Sportsmans Warehouse. Though I paid the dreaded sales tax here in Washington, my military discount took some of the bite out of it. The Ruger SR1911 is only offered in brushed stainless. Paras' guns are all stainless steel construction, but they offer more finishes if you want something with that "parkerized" look. I took the new Para to the range and put a quick 100 rounds through it. Shoots like a dream! I thought of an FN or a Smith M&P, but I wanted a 1911. I am not sorry I bought this pistol.

I have had a lot of pistols over the years and SOME of the foreign made brands (not all, mind you) can be a crap shoot for quality. The other thing you might keep in mind that pistols from overseas might have less than satisfactory parts availability should you need parts. I have two Taurus pistols that I needed parts for (one a repair, the other extra magazines) and after calling Taurus USA in Miami it took six months to get these parts. RIA 1911's have a great advertisement showing a top shooter competing with their pistols, but what work went into those particular match guns to get them to shoot? RIA pistols are made in the Phillipines. Para is made in North Carolina.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top