JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You may want roll pin punches.
They have a "nub" that keeps them centered on the roll pin.
You can use common flat-faced punches but your chances of slipping off the pin and gouging the receiver increase if that's a worry.

On building a lower the bolt catch roll pin and the trigger guard roll pin can give the first timer a challenge.

Don't be Uncle Goober, get roll pin punches
Here is a minimalist set meant for ARs and includes a bolt catch punch
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...hes/ar-15-armorer-s-punch-set-prod114383.aspx

At least use this punch for the bolt release...
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...bly-tools/bolt-catch-pin-punch-prod26484.aspx

Install your grip (even if temporary) prior hammering in trigger guard roll pin, it will prevent the lower from rolling over and snapping off the tabs.

The AR15 is really Americans rifle. The adaptability, reliability and long service history where millions of men & women have been trained on it as their first firearm has left a mark. But that is still a small percentage of America.

Politics and politicians brought me here about 10 years ago. Back then I only wanted a shot gun for home protection but then they wouldn't let any tragedies go to waste. It made me take a second look and then I fell down the rabbit hole. Apparently I'm not the only one.
Care for a spot of tea?

I ended up in the AR world when there were serious rumors of Oregon going all Connecticut on AR's, figured if they were that important to get that much attention, there should be one in the safe... Now there's enough for each member of the family to have a primary and a backup... Simple enough to assemble and operate, wish I hadn't waited so long to get into them...

I'm old and I've been shooting almost sixty years. In the course of that time I actually learned one or two things.
Not many, but one or two for sure.

I've also accumulated a fair assortment of gunsmithing tools. But other than a handy dandy combination AR wrench/tool/thing, nothing specifically for that platform.
(I only have it because I'm a prepper and it's a common platform.)

I'm a gun tinkerer and if it's not a mint gun, I may fiddle with it a bit. But I only own shooters.
I'm essentially a parts replacer. Springs, grips, mag safeties, refinishing some things, simple stuff like that. I don't claim to be anything else.
(That's why I'm friends with @Velzey.)

I'm so old that I have books and manuals on the subject. Enough to get into trouble and most times get out of it.

Yes, once upon a time I took a bag of shame with a Ruger Mark something or other to the gunsmith to have it reassembled. I promptly sold the pistol and bought an Automag II and vaulted from the frying pan into the fire.

So I know my capabilities and I wouldn't undertake this if I thought I could screw it up. I love her and I want her happy & safe.

"A man's got to know his limitations." I know mine.

So please don't be concerned. You guys are the best and if I get stuck or screw up, I'll be the first to ask for help.
(I'm also too old to be proud.)

I'll take some pics as things progress.

:)

Last Edited:
I hate to tell you, it's the pistol grip that I have issues with. I just can't get comfortable with them. I sold my FAL because of it and more recently a Colt AR 6920 that I tried really hard to like.
I'm just a dinosaur.

I've been into AR's before they were "cool". Back when you had 3 choices of manufacturers and there was ZERO aftermarket world. What you saw is what you got, and the only mags available were metal. I can't imagine not having one in the collection. Maybe that's why I have several. :D

@GOG good luck with your build, myself along with many others are here to help you or talk you off the ledge if you get frustrated. :)

When you break the receiver ear when driving the trigger guard pin, it's The Grip of Shame for you...
I hate to tell you, it's the pistol grip that I have issues with. I just can't get comfortable with them. I sold my FAL because of it and more recently a Colt AR 6920 that I tried really hard to like.
I'm just a dinosaur.
This is not a deal-breaker with an AR unless you're trying to force yourself to like the garden-variety A2 grip.
There are many aftermarket AR grips to choose from.
And some have different grip angles.

If you didn't like the FAL grip, then you don't like a swept back, flat angle grip.
The Magpul K2 grip is more vertical....you might like that grip angle on an AR.
Here's a K2 grip...
UDP-45-SBA3-Pistol-Right-510x510.jpg
Here's the common Colt A2 grip...
Colt-LE6920-M4-16-in-r-6x6.jpg
B5 Systems Grip
maxresdefault.jpg

When you break the receiver ear when driving the trigger guard pin, it's The Grip of Shame for you...

This is not a deal-breaker with an AR unless you're trying to force yourself to like the garden-variety A2 grip.

If you didn't like the FAL grip, then you don't like a swept back, flat angle grip.
Here's a K2 grip...
View attachment 598638
View attachment 598639
B5 Systems Grip
View attachment 598640

More vertical grips are the way to go, but I've decided I don't like the K2 grip and will abandon it, it just isn't hand filling enough and makes one handed leveraging of the weapon more difficult, IME. The B5 Type 23 P-Grip is awesome as is the BCM Mod 3 but IMO you need to remove the bill from the front of the Mod 3 and smooth it up a bit or it puts too much pressure on the side of the middle finger. I need to try Tango Down's BG-18.

Here's a K2 grip...
View attachment 598638
View attachment 598639
B5 Systems Grip
View attachment 598640

This is the tool I bought to drive the trigger guard roll pin in. I put several layers of painters tape around the ears. Also allows the roll pin to be pushed out as well.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-trigger-guard-roll-pin-pusher-prod55709.aspx

Last Edited:
Castle nuts should be properly torqued and stacked, a vise and proper blocks/rods makes life easier for both uppers and lowers, a third hand if nothing else.
I cheated with the PWS ratcheting endplate. :) Quite agreed on the assistance a vise can give, outside of unusual circumstances like mine--which is why as long as I'm stuck in this crappy studio taking care of my disgracefully-aging arthritic mother, I'm running anything I do by a gunsmith neighbor who IS properly equipped and having him check my work and do "final torque" as needed. :)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top