JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I decided it's time I build one. I don't care for them much, but I want to build a pistol for my fiance.
So I cheated and bought a nitride Shockwave pistol kit on sale at PSA and a Sig Romeo5 with 10 Pmags.
I know it's cheating to start with a kit, but it makes sense at that price.

I could use more than a few pointers, I'm a rookie at the whole process.

Thanks.

Don't laugh.

;)

I have just got the bug or inspiration for another build. 4th of July, why not a classic M4 clone with 14.5" barrel. Everything is on sale. So over the last few weeks I've been ordering parts. This gives you a week or so before you start have to start answering questions when parts start showing up. Well, they did.

But, I only build lowers. I never got into uppers because I was only going to do the one...or just this last one, so why buy the parts? For the lower, you only need one special wrench, sort of.

This one will come in well under $500 with only the parts I want and a few extras I didn't need, like the PSA M4 marked lower for $20 more but saved $10 on shipping. So, right. How could you not? I don't drink, cheat or cuss on Sundays. It's the little things that keep you going.

Good parts and ammo are cheap, compared to the lives of loved ones. If there's even the SLIGHTEST chance a build may be pressed into Serious Social Work service...
The AR15 is really Americans rifle. The adaptability, reliability and long service history where millions of men & women have been trained on it as their first firearm has left a mark. But that is still a small percentage of America.

Politics and politicians brought me here about 10 years ago. Back then I only wanted a shot gun for home protection but then they wouldn't let any tragedies go to waste. It made me take a second look and then I fell down the rabbit hole. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Good parts and ammo are cheap, compared to the lives of loved ones. If there's even the SLIGHTEST chance a build may be pressed into Serious Social Work service...

I meant cheap like I don't want to buy tools that I'll likely only use once, not cheap like building junk.

I'm using a PSA Freedom pistol kit, an Anderson lower and a Larue trigger which are relatively inexpensive but good quality parts as far as I know.
A Sig Romeo for an optic and gen 3 Pmags to feed it. I can't remember which rear mbus I bought, but it was a brand name.

I don't know AR's well at all, but you guys do and the stuff I bought was from manufacturers I've heard of for years.
So it won't be Noveske or LWRC quality, but it should be a pretty decent little pistol.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

The AR15 is really Americans rifle. The adaptability, reliability and long service history where millions of men & women have been trained on it as their first firearm has left a mark. But that is still a small percentage of America.

Politics and politicians brought me here about 10 years ago. Back then I only wanted a shot gun for home protection but then they wouldn't let any tragedies go to waste. It made me take a second look and then I fell down the rabbit hole. Apparently I'm not the only one.
That's about where I came from--I don't even LIKE AR's and much prefer the irons of WWII, but the Bloomingdouches just had to keep poking the bear...

I meant cheap like I don't want to buy tools that I'll likely only use once, not cheap like building junk.
You may want roll pin punches.
They have a "nub" that keeps them centered on the roll pin.
You can use common flat-faced punches but your chances of slipping off the pin and gouging the receiver increase if that's a worry.

On building a lower the bolt catch roll pin and the trigger guard roll pin can give the first timer a challenge.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews