JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi, Folks!

I am planning on going up to a remote part of the Yukon for hiking and tent camping. I plan to be with other folks most of time but will be doing a week of solo camping. I've got the traditional bear spray and bear bangers/flares but was thinking of taking my lever rifle with. Anyone done this? The forms and information from the RCMP make it look simple form has to be submitted and that's it. Anyone have recent experience? Is this even worthwhile?

Also take a sidearm with matching caliber. IE: 44 MAG, 357 MAG, etc. Then you only have to carry 1 box of ammo - instead of ammo for each caliber. Helps cut down on weight that you have to pack around.

Good luck & have fun!

If it was me ...then yes I would bring a rifle.

That said...
It would have to be a rifle that I am comfortable with.
What I mean by this ...is a rifle that I " know" inside and out...one that I can shoot without having to really "think" about how to shoot or hit what I need to....
A rifle that , I am comfortable carrying for miles on end as well as being able to shoot accurately afterwards.
And by carry I mean in my hands or "cradled" across an arm....

I say the above not to be a jerk...
But just to say that a rifle for protection , needs to be ready to be used...not slung on your shoulder or lashed to a pack or ruck etc...
Andy

If it were me, I certainly would. Out of curiosity, what are you planning on taking?

Regarding crossing, it has been a while since I've been up there in Canada. As I understand it, bringing in a hunting rifle is pretty painless, provided you have all your paperwork in order. Standard capacity magazines of greater than 5 (rifles) or 10 (handguns) are verboten though.

A friend of my father's try to enter with a handgun and was told it was a no-go, so it was placed in secured storage at the border until he left the country. How common that is, I cannot say.

Hi, Folks!

I am planning on going up to a remote part of the Yukon for hiking and tent camping. I plan to be with other folks most of time but will be doing a week of solo camping. I've got the traditional bear spray and bear bangers/flares but was thinking of taking my lever rifle with. Anyone done this? The forms and information from the RCMP make it look simple form has to be submitted and that's it. Anyone have recent experience? Is this even worthwhile?
Absolutely, a reliable rifle in any wilderness excursion is necessity.

I wouldn't even try to take a handgun. You said "lever gun" so depending on what you have but I would want a .30-30 or bigger. A .45-70 with a good Bullet would be my preference. Just make it handy and not strapped to the pack frame. A sling would be OKAY as long as you can deploy the Rifle quickly. AND I would keep a round in the chamber and the hammer on the half cock notch.

PS: Have fun but stay safe.

I wouldn't even try to take a handgun. You said "lever gun" so depending on what you have but I would want a .30-30 or bigger. A .45-70 with a good Bullet would be my preference. Just make it handy and not strapped to the pack frame. A sling would be OKAY as long as you can deploy the Rifle quickly. AND I would keep a round in the chamber and the hammer on the half cock notch.

I'd take one as a back up, something not too crazy in my pack. But the rifle definitely be the go to for such a trip.

.45-70 lever with a fast sling and a Glock 20 in a side holster. All loaded with Underwood's offerings.

That's how I would roll.

Been there, done that! If you don't have a .45/70 in a lever action, GET one and practice using it before you go. There are a few companies that sell "Cowboy loops" for the left side if the receiver, those make for a super slick single point carry option, especially with a back pack! Seriously, this is the Yukon, one of the most wild places in the planet, and it's far more then Bears you need to worry about! You can pack a handgun, but you need to contact the R.C.M.P FIRSTLY and get the specifics, last time I went, a 10 round max was all you could have, so I naturally took a 1911 in 10 MM auto, but normally a pair of .44s is what I roll!
Conversely, Joe13 is also correct, a good 12 gau. loaded with pure slugs works well, take a few rounds of bird shot along side saddle, you never know when those can come in handy as well!
I swear by the Marlin XLR .45/70 stainless 23" barrel laminate with Williams rear sight and Lyman front hooded with a tritium blade insert for good visibility in shadows and low light! I also had a bubba fat bastard break installed with muzzle extension and added a bayonet lug, I carry the blade on my belt easy to get to. I use the earlier M1909 bayonet as it also fits my Winny 1897 shotgun, my m1903 Springfield and my M-1 Garand, pretty handy to have one pair of blades that fit all those long guns! :)
Have a great trip, make absolutely sure to take a few cameras, you do not want to miss ANY thing! The Yukon is a magical place, enjoy all you can!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews