JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMO, the safari sling is a good idea... a grizz can come out of bushes a mere 10yds away when you didn't even know it was there. Surprised bears aren't usually very friendly and things can happen fast. At any distance, Griz can move at 35mph. And moose are just plain mean. They like to stomp other critters (you) to death... the original Stomper! ;)

Last Edited:
Been there, done that! If you don't have a .45/70 in a lever action, GET one and practice using it before you go. There are a few companies that sell "Cowboy loops" for the left side if the receiver, those make for a super slick single point carry option, especially with a back pack! Seriously, this is the Yukon, one of the most wild places in the planet, and it's far more then Bears you need to worry about! You can pack a handgun, but you need to contact the R.C.M.P FIRSTLY and get the specifics, last time I went, a 10 round max was all you could have, so I naturally took a 1911 in 10 MM auto, but normally a pair of .44s is what I roll!
Conversely, Joe13 is also correct, a good 12 gau. loaded with pure slugs works well, take a few rounds of bird shot along side saddle, you never know when those can come in handy as well!
I swear by the Marlin XLR .45/70 stainless 23" barrel laminate with Williams rear sight and Lyman front hooded with a tritium blade insert for good visibility in shadows and low light! I also had a bubba fat bastard break installed with muzzle extension and added a bayonet lug, I carry the blade on my belt easy to get to. I use the earlier M1909 bayonet as it also fits my Winny 1897 shotgun, my m1903 Springfield and my M-1 Garand, pretty handy to have one pair of blades that fit all those long guns! :)
Have a great trip, make absolutely sure to take a few cameras, you do not want to miss ANY thing! The Yukon is a magical place, enjoy all you can!
:s0101:

Oh, in another thread I told a true story about 2 survey workers that had bear spray, and in a surprise encounter they couldn't get the little safety tabs or whatever off, and were unable to deploy the spray. One fella got mauled, peed on, and buried. Not the outcome you want.

IMO bear spray is great if you have time to get it ready to fire, take a rifle or shotgun for those times you might not have any (time).

Oh, in another thread I told a true story about 2 survey workers that had bear spray, and in a surprise encounter they couldn't get the little safety tabs or whatever off, and were unable to deploy the spray. One fella got mauled, peed on, and buried. Not the outcome you want.

IMO bear spray is great if you have time to get it ready to fire, take a rifle or shotgun for those times you might not have any (time).
You also don't have to worry about being downwind with a rifle :eek:

Unless you are Andy with one of his Smoke Poles!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
YEP!.....:D
And I'd be more that happy to use this one for "rifle protection"....
Andy
Hawken.jpg

022DA7C0-4286-470A-81EC-9137C7D81F40.jpeg My buddy just borrowed my 629 for his Alaskan fishing trip, mine shoots better than his and I wouldn't sell him mine. Self defense is close by definition. I really like this gun. My Kodiak island Bear guide buddy prefers a 12 gauge (when he can) to a rifle unless hunting. In the reserve they don't allow him to be armed with anything but spray.

C94E1C1D-87B7-4777-847B-1B8AA00C392D.jpeg 30A6878E-8F5D-4510-8641-AA104D615F8A.jpeg 404DF5FC-11CD-445F-A6C5-B842BD4A3EB1.jpeg 03C02F71-A8A0-4D08-8E48-427F05DBC5B5.jpeg I just brought home my LC Smith 1896 hammer 10 gauge (32 inch Damascus barrels) . This is an incredible shotgun with family provenance from the day it was sold new in San Francisco until about 2 years ago when my Gunsmith bought it. The gun spent 80 years in Alaska as a bear guard and foraging gun. It was purchased new by a miner going to the gold fields. He took great care of it.........a magnificent gun with a great story. I am waiting for the all Brass shot shells I ordered to arrive from Buffalo arms to shoot her. In the family letters that came with her they mentioned that she was used to take several large bears as well as Parmington, Ducks and geese. She is credited for keeping members of the family fed and safe for decades while they lived in the wilderness.

Last Edited:
Canada hates Semi auto rifles, but both a Browning BAR or a Remington Mod 8/81 will slide under the radar, don't have the Browning yet, but keeping my bananas pealed for a nice. 338 win! The Mod 8 is a .308 Conversion from a .35 Rem, a little heavy and kicks good, but slick handling and lightning fast!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top