JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got a lot of crap from folks because of my Diesel conversion,
From what? A flathead 6?
Purists make me crazy. I catch crap from Mopar purists for converting all of my Mopars to HEI.
"Why you use that Brand X crap?", they say.
"Because it freaking WORKS", I say. And generally add a dig about their Saginaw steering while I'm at it.

A diesel Power Wagon sounds like some uber-cool shizz, rattle-canned, primered, or museum quality... I love those things and I'll refrain from telling you about the barn-find flat fender I passed on several years ago because I just... didn't... have... the dough*.

*mostly rust-free survivor, flat 6, still had air in the bias-plys (I don't know if it was "factory" air ;)), probably could have driven it outta there... 5K. Damn.

Since it's Canada only .303 Enfield jungle carbines are cool.
I might be wrong but I think they have vending machines on every corner to get them from up there.
Unfortunately they ID you now and don't let Americans buy anymore. Was once the best way to collect English milsurp... :(

Hi, Folks!

I am planning on going up to a remote part of the Yukon for hiking and tent camping. I plan to be with other folks most of time but will be doing a week of solo camping. I've got the traditional bear spray and bear bangers/flares but was thinking of taking my lever rifle with. Anyone done this? The forms and information from the RCMP make it look simple form has to be submitted and that's it. Anyone have recent experience? Is this even worthwhile?
Did you see the recent article about the guy who was attacked in his tent by a polar bear?
The man did survive, but only because he had a firearm close by.
If you go tent camping in bear country all by yourself and you don't take along any kind of defensive weapon. I wish you well and hope you don't run into a bear. If you do run into a bear, I hope you don't get mauled too badly. If you do get mauled badly I hope you don't suffer too long.

A lot of great suggestions here but please keep in mind the difficulty of border crossings (both ways) and unfavorable firearms laws. Having looked extensively into this the only real option is a 12ga with slugs with a barrel more than 18" and my suggestion would be to make it as innocuous as possible, no funny stocks, nothing too tacti-cool, etc.

I will say this though, I have been to the yukon many many times, solo, and always wished for a firearm, a sidearm preferably, but there was always some insurmountable legal issue, be it being too young, the route traveled precluding it, points of entry, exit, length of stay, etc, etc. I I put my life in danger each time as a result of it. F**k you Canada.
However, this was all years and years ago and it was bad enough then, two summers ago I went up again and this time as soon as they did a background check at the border their entire demeanor and line of questioning changed and they were CONVINCED I had firearms with me, they searched me, emptied the truck, detained me and my dog for hours, really made me never want to visit again, but if (ok, when) I do, next time I am showing up to the border with my shotgun, with all the papers and saying; "here is my gun, see I have one with me, now may I go?" Because I really think if I had done so last time I would have had an easier time of it.
Just food for thought, worth what you paid me for it.
cheers,
KR

Hi, Folks!

I am planning on going up to a remote part of the Yukon for hiking and tent camping. I plan to be with other folks most of time but will be doing a week of solo camping. I've got the traditional bear spray and bear bangers/flares but was thinking of taking my lever rifle with. Anyone done this? The forms and information from the RCMP make it look simple form has to be submitted and that's it. Anyone have recent experience? Is this even worthwhile?
By the way, you are asking this question on a firearms forum. What kind of answeres did you expect to get. Perhaps it you went on one of the snoflake camper forums you would get different answers.

Also take a sidearm with matching caliber. IE: 44 MAG, 357 MAG, etc. Then you only have to carry 1 box of ammo - instead of ammo for each caliber. Helps cut down on weight that you have to pack around.

Good luck & have fun!
The Yukon is in Canada. It is my understanding that handguns are a no-no for Americans to bring in to the country...

I was in Naknek, Alaska for two weeks a few years ago. Everyone carried a shotgun for bear, and had a dog with them. Was curious why I didn't see anyone with a rifle. Was told that if a bear showed up, it would be so close and fast there would be no time for a precision shot. So they alternated buckshot and slugs, and their first shot would be to the shoulder with followup shots to the vitals. [They hunted game with rifles of course.] I saw plenty of bears and caught lots of salmon.

I was in Naknek, Alaska for two weeks a few years ago. Everyone carried a shotgun for bear, and had a dog with them. Was curious why I didn't see anyone with a rifle. Was told that if a bear showed up, it would be so close and fast there would be no time for a precision shot. So they alternated buckshot and slugs, and their first shot would be to the shoulder with followup shots to the vitals. [They hunted game with rifles of course.] I saw plenty of bears and caught lots of salmon.

As i was reading through this thread i was thinking the same thing and was going to put that but wanted to read through it all first. If a rifle is what you got use it but why anyone would take a rifle over a shotgun strickly for bear defense is beyond me. Attacks usually happen quick with little time to aim. A short shotgun i think would serve better for this purpose.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but from what I have read, the barrel length on any firearm must not be shortened from how it came from the factory - regardless of length. Also, IIRC, handgun barrels have to be 4.2" or longer (with certain exceptions) - which is why many US manufacturers offer that length or longer. I have considered that when I retire I may look into taking my 460V up there for bear protection, but not sure I will ever bother with it as I don't do hiking any more (due to my back injury) and if I did go there it would be with an RV and dirt bike.

Also, I believe they have a limit of 5 rounds capacity on long guns.

I was in Naknek, Alaska for two weeks a few years ago. Everyone carried a shotgun for bear, and had a dog with them. Was curious why I didn't see anyone with a rifle. Was told that if a bear showed up, it would be so close and fast there would be no time for a precision shot. So they alternated buckshot and slugs, and their first shot would be to the shoulder with followup shots to the vitals.

The first load should be #8s to the face to mess up their sight and smell (according to my NWT/Alaska hunting buddy)... makes you harder to find. Then slugs. I don't think buckshot does much for ya on a Brown/Polar bear but I don't think I want to find out!!

Not sure when you are planning on going or already went. I suggest you look at the regulations for Canada and if you have to fill out paperwork and such to bring a shotgun into Canada, I did not have a shotgun when I traveled to Jasper and Baniff in Alberta. Since we are going up in the overhead trams from Jasper or Baniff, or taking a tour of the Columbia Ice Fields, I couldn't carry a shotgun anyways.

I took bear spray since that was allowed but be sure you take the bear spray with you take when you return to United States.

Hi, Folks!

Take the lever gun if you feel the caliber its chambered for is adequate...and .30-30 can be adequate (use Bufalo Bore ammo, for an added ounce of peace of mind).

ANOTHER thing not mentioned is, have the proper paperwork for coming BACK into the USA with your firearms...

I remember returning from my Army tour in Germany through JFK airport with my personal Colt AR15A2 & Beretta 92F... easy-peezy.
Exactly! I've been to British Columbia a few times and only the last trip learned about a certificate of registration for personal effects taken abroad. We were in line for the Canadian customs and a US border patrol guy informed us about this. It boils down to showing you had it with you when you went in so they let you bring it back. I was on a guided hunt and was provided all the paperwork to bring the firearms into Canada but nothing was said about bringing them back. It's got CBP Form 4457 (06/92) on the bottom.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top