JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, something we've been working on for a bit is a GMRS setup for family communication for in general and for during a disaster. I am amateur radio licensed, while my wife is not. However, my GMRS license covers the family, including her. Our setup is, essentially:

• A mobile GMRS rig in each vehicle.
  • A basestation in the house (which is actually a mobile repurposed for said.)
  • Communicate via a good, quiet repeater that is in our area. (If, for some reason we felt that was no longer viable, we do have a GMRS repeater my father-in-law gave us that I've toyed with setting up on the hill portion of our land, with appropriate power and antenna.)
  • Preprogrammed radios and a laminated family radio operating procedure guide.
So far, so good for the immediate area (where our home is, where the Mrs school is located, etc.). But I would also like to setup a GMRS basestation at my office/work facility which is about 8½ miles from home, as the crow flies. Which brings me to what I am researching at the present. What would recommend for:

• A dedicated, good quality, base station for GMRS that has the maximum output that is legally allowed (50 watts). I'd rather go with a quality transceiver.
  • A large antenna for the rig. I will be mounting this on top of the building and running the cable to the first floor where I work. I realize there is maximum height requirements (per FAA), but I doubt it will be a problem.
So, any recommendations for those two components would be great. Thanks. :)
As for a base antenna, look at anything from either Comet or Diamond...they tend to have the best longevity for quality.

To make this brief and getting the big picture, If you don't have the time to invest in getting a ham technician license (which a lot of people does including myself), You can get a GMRS operating licence by reading and following the rules and practices, no need to take a test besides registering and paying $35.00 to the FCC so you can communicate in the frequency below using a handheld, mobile, base, hone base repeater, marine. etc. Your license will be good for 10 years from the date you register. You and your family can share using the same license too. You can use .5 watts all the way to 50 watts on UHF frequency. (honestly 25 and up will already take you far as long as you set your radio and antenna correctly. If you need further details, read this and it will take you all the way to registering and getting a license. Good luck.

HOW TO GET YOUR GMRS LICENSE

GMRS forum and Repeater Stations. This site contains GMRS members that you may want to ask if you need to know anything about GMRS.

1704481648710.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads