JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Radios re advance nowadays and surprisingly with all the features that are within reach for everyone which is a good thing. I read alot of very good reviews with the anytone too. There is a very strong repeater on north of you. I try to get a permission but he didn't approve me.

Radioddity, Anytone etc.

Do a search and find origin of manufacturer.

Go with a Japan made radio, a lot better quality.

The big 3 Ham radios are made in Japan...iCom, Yaesu and Kenwood. All have the potential of failure, but China radios have a much higher failure rate.

Thank you for sharing. This is my first gmrs mobile radio. I didnt want to put the other one in there so I have a separate base radio.
I was going to ask if any one knows if I can dd a power mic on the GMRS? I just don't feel comfortable using the control mic and a RJ45.

Context matters. Japanese radios yes are likely much better quality. They are also much more expensive.

If you're a retired 60-year old fuddy sadham talking on his radio in his library, then heck yes buy the $1,000+ Japanese radio. You're probably not doing much with it in terms of rolling in the dirt or dropping it. Or this is the better radio for in the house/bunker.

If you're a 20-year old barely making rent, who is looking for a radio to have comms during shtf and practicing having a radio on his chest rig crawling in the dirt with his buddies training, then buy 10 Baofeng radios for one-quarter the price of a Kenwood, for a radio that probably does as much if not more.

Analogy wise, I would opine the Baofeng is the hipoint, while the Anytone/Retevis/Ailunce is like the holosun. Perfectly fine, waterproof, works, bombproof, feature rich, but made in china. I have eotechs, and I have cyelee and gideon and holosun. They all work, they all can be beat to hell. The eotech is just more "battle proven" and cost twice as much if not four times as much.

The anytone is already $300+, it works. Unless you're a total radio / ham enthusiast, we arent going to probably notice the difference in quality. I'm not buying a meter to test spurious emissions on my radios, I'm training to have comms for when the balloons go up.

Finally, no tone to text, just offering a respectful alternative viewpoint, thanks for listening.

EDIT: realizing my own comment of context matters, I think the context was maybe base station. From that context, yeaaa I'm going to probably actually lean more on the side of the get the japanese radio. its a static radio probably for longer range. I still bought the anytone myself, just because im in a condo and i wouldnt use a $1000+ base station, and this one I have does work and does what I need. But if I were in rural and setting up a base station or repeater station for my team, yea 100% spend the extra $$.

Context matters. Japanese radios yes are likely much better quality. They are also much more expensive.

If you're a retired 60-year old fuddy sadham talking on his radio in his library, then heck yes buy the $1,000+ Japanese radio. You're probably not doing much with it in terms of rolling in the dirt or dropping it. Or this is the better radio for in the house/bunker.

If you're a 20-year old barely making rent, who is looking for a radio to have comms during shtf and practicing having a radio on his chest rig crawling in the dirt with his buddies training, then buy 10 Baofeng radios for one-quarter the price of a Kenwood, for a radio that probably does as much if not more.

Analogy wise, I would opine the Baofeng is the hipoint, while the Anytone/Retevis/Ailunce is like the holosun. Perfectly fine, waterproof, works, bombproof, feature rich, but made in china. I have eotechs, and I have cyelee and gideon and holosun. They all work, they all can be beat to hell. The eotech is just more "battle proven" and cost twice as much if not four times as much.

The anytone is already $300+, it works. Unless you're a total radio / ham enthusiast, we arent going to probably notice the difference in quality. I'm not buying a meter to test spurious emissions on my radios, I'm training to have comms for when the balloons go up.

Finally, no tone to text, just offering a respectful alternative viewpoint, thanks for listening.

EDIT: realizing my own comment of context matters, I think the context was maybe base station. From that context, yeaaa I'm going to probably actually lean more on the side of the get the japanese radio. its a static radio probably for longer range. I still bought the anytone myself, just because im in a condo and i wouldnt use a $1000+ base station, and this one I have does work and does what I need. But if I were in rural and setting up a base station or repeater station for my team, yea 100% spend the extra $$.
I respect everyone's opinion...but at least do not exaggerate the cost difference.

For that matter, one can get a good quality Ham mobile from one of the big 3 Han Radio manufacturers for around 300 and install the GMRS, FRS etc frequencies in it. Get a power supply and set it up as a base station.

Before the self-imposed FCC police arise...yes, I know by FCC rules one is not supposed to do that, but know plenty of people who do. Makes it nice not having to buy another Radio just for GMRS etc.

Bottom line is where ever your happy.. Well atleast for now and there will always be a room for improvement. And at that toime, I'm pretty sure you can pinpoint the exact radio that you want.
BTW: Do you guys know anyone that can adopt a separate power on a GMRS radio?

I respect everyone's opinion...but at least do not exaggerate the cost difference.

For that matter, one can get a good quality Ham mobile from one of the big 3 Han Radio manufacturers for around 300 and install the GMRS, FRS etc frequencies in it. Get a power supply and set it up as a base station.

Before the self-imposed FCC police arise...yes, I know by FCC rules one is not supposed to do that, but know plenty of people who do. Makes it nice not having to buy another Radio just for GMRS etc.
I didnt think I was actually exaggerating, but I am just a dumbass and don't really know. When I looked at least for base stations I seem to recall they were super expensive (couple thousand++).

I'm not actually disagreeing I guess, so much as offering up the cliche "it depends" (money, two-is-one, spof, good enough, are you good on other preps, buy the best you can afford).

I suppose a thread asking for "which base station should I buy?" should be elaborated with budget, purpose, do they want a backup (what happens if this one fails), etc. Is it a smart investment to buy a $1,000 base station that you install and use once a year if ever? Yes or no I guess depends on the individual. etc etc

</soapbox>

Don't understand the question.

Adopt a separate power?
separate power mic from the control mic or desk mic. Like this

1702863063310.jpeg

Japanese radios like Yaesu are top tier. I've used Baofeng HTs and mobile in my car for years. For my home office use (configured as a go-kit) I have a Yaesu-857D.

I haven't experienced any issues with the Baofengs.

If you're to go base station only type radio, make sure they are not the wall plug in type...when power goes out, there go the comms.

With a DC powered radio, if the power goes out have a battery backup system to keep comms going.

As for price, am still not buying the 1,000.00 GMRS base radio price...one can get a HF ham radio for much less.

I didn't do an extensive search, but can't find a true GMRS base station, all that comes up are mobile units.

With better radios cones better circuitry and filtering, along with built in safeguards if it gets hooked up wrong, or transmit without an antenna hooked up.

In the end do the best that works for you...but am also not going to steer anyone to inferior equipment either. If this is for SHTF type prepping...save your pesos and get something electronically stable.

I've not heard of anyone putting an aftermarket mic on a GMRS radio, but am sure out there somewhere, someone has.
I'll try to look for one oe some on that can help. Its quite different from CB but somewhat has a mic, radio and antenna. I bought 2nd CB Cobra 148 GTL back in 1984. I think I paid $140.00. But doing all the work, I spent a total of almost $600.00. It was worth every penny I spent. I had medium to medium high radios like Galaxy, ranger, superstar, but non of them came close to the way how the cobra delivers especially in long distance. I can hit Galveston TX on a good day with using any repeater.
... However on the GMRS I'm just new here but I kinda have a bit of idea where I should go if this works out. The bottom libe is I wanna use it for my family in case of emergency.
If President Radio will enter the GMRS (BTW they have have FM now on CB Freq). It will definitely be one of the good candidates.

If you're to go base station only type radio, make sure they are not the wall plug in type...when power goes out, there go the comms.

With a DC powered radio, if the power goes out have a battery backup system to keep comms going.

As for price, am still not buying the 1,000.00 GMRS base radio price...one can get a HF ham radio for much less.

I didn't do an extensive search, but can't find a true GMRS base station, all that comes up are mobile units.

With better radios cones better circuitry and filtering, along with built in safeguards if it gets hooked up wrong, or transmit without an antenna hooked up.

In the end do the best that works for you...but am also not going to steer anyone to inferior equipment either. If this is for SHTF type prepping...save your pesos and get something electronically stable.
Does the base station comes with a duplexer?

Last Edited:
Japanese radios like Yaesu are top tier. I've used Baofeng HTs and mobile in my car for years. For my home office use (configured as a go-kit) I have a Yaesu-857D.

I haven't experienced any issues with the Baofengs.
I have one too. The only reason why a bought it because our small walkie talkie died after 5 years. I was trying to resurrect it and end up getting the chi-fi walkie talkie.. for now.
I didn't wanna plug it in to the computer. I don't feel comfortable with them They love to share information. I'm setting the repeater by hand... :s0100:

So, something we've been working on for a bit is a GMRS setup for family communication for in general and for during a disaster. I am amateur radio licensed, while my wife is not. However, my GMRS license covers the family, including her. Our setup is, essentially:

• A mobile GMRS rig in each vehicle.
  • A basestation in the house (which is actually a mobile repurposed for said.)
  • Communicate via a good, quiet repeater that is in our area. (If, for some reason we felt that was no longer viable, we do have a GMRS repeater my father-in-law gave us that I've toyed with setting up on the hill portion of our land, with appropriate power and antenna.)
  • Preprogrammed radios and a laminated family radio operating procedure guide.
So far, so good for the immediate area (where our home is, where the Mrs school is located, etc.). But I would also like to setup a GMRS basestation at my office/work facility which is about 8½ miles from home, as the crow flies. Which brings me to what I am researching at the present. What would recommend for:

• A dedicated, good quality, base station for GMRS that has the maximum output that is legally allowed (50 watts). I'd rather go with a quality transceiver.
  • A large antenna for the rig. I will be mounting this on top of the building and running the cable to the first floor where I work. I realize there is maximum height requirements (per FAA), but I doubt it will be a problem.
So, any recommendations for those two components would be great. Thanks. :)

Curious, you stated your Amateur licensed
Are you insinuating Ham or GMRS? I'm only inquiring because I've been studying to take the technician license test in my spare time but it can be quite overwhelming. I'm not certain that I want to invest the time and resources into becoming ham licensed and I'm not familiar with GMSR or what that entails. We live in the mountains where there is zero cellular signal and the only landline is Century link which is so poor we finally dropped the service. I do have a cellphone and Starlink satellite so I can make calls from home but that doesn't do anything for emergency calls when your in transit from the house to the highway and citizens band doesn't work well through the mountains and trees.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top