JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When it comes to guns everyone has their own feelings and opinions about everything and anything.

Some see the .380 as a "Girly" caliber and not worthy of even a backup piece.
While others insist on carrying only a pocket canon.

While all this arguing is going on over bullet size I find it almost funny that there is almost no mention of the fact that some of the most popular firearms such as Glock and XD put the SAFETY on the Trigger!

I want to know who thought it was a smart idea to put the safety on the trigger and then have their head examined for brain damage.

The trigger is what makes the gun go "BANG and accidentally gets pulled during an accidental discharge. So what smart minded person thought it was a good idea to put a safety on the one thing that makes the gun go BANG?

I hear people bash the .380 and say it's too small of caliber for defense, or that some wouldn't even think of carrying a 9mm for defense.

Yet more people have been accidentally SHOT by Glocks with the safeties on the triggers then people killed because they used too small of caliber in a defense situation.

Let me shoot you with my .380 hollow points and you tell me if it feels like a girly round.

And tell the cop who shot himself in the leg while holstering his Glock that the safety on the trigger is a SMART IDEA!

That's my daily .02 CENTS WORTH! :s0155:

"I want to know who thought it was a smart idea to put the safety on the trigger...", the answer would be Gaston Glock. There may have been others before but he definitely made it a game changer.

Before this attempt at a Glock bashing thread gains too much ground let me be the first to say that your finger should not be on the trigger if you are not intent on pulling it. Over simplified I know, but people who have negligent discharges with Glocks (or any other weapon) have their finger where it shouldn't be. Period.

ETA: I do not want to get shot with your .380.

My Sig 226 has no safety. My 1911 has about 26 safeties, only one of which requires anything but "grip gun correctly" to be disengaged.

I think (I KNOW) that you're mistaken as to what a safety is actaully for.

A safety is to protect a gun from accidentally discharging. An accidental discharge only occurs when the gun is out of your control, i.e, when you drop it. That's all a safety is for.

As stated above, you're gun should only be firing when you want it to. Your finger should only be on the trigger when you intend to fire it. Relying or needing any other safety feature is not a problem of the product, but of the user.

As greater men than I have said in the past: "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch."

Also... The .380 is an anemic round. So is the .45 ACP if you have terrible shot placement and follow through. Numerous stories have epic tales of all rounds, out of any platform, failing to kill or stop a target. We bubblegum about it because it's the internet. Debate breeds conversation;. If everyone agreed, there would be no point in having this website, or any other "opinion" site.

Shoot what you like, screw all the rest.

P.S... I do not own a Glock or any other "safe trigger" gun. I do not own a .380, or anything below a .40 S&W.

Well...Mac_fan and Selftest...good responses.:s0155:

At one time I also thought the .380 to be a small caliber for my protection...but as summer rears it's shy head...I now have to find ways to cover my .45...the .380 was easier, it would discreetly slip into a pair of shorts pocket.

Whatever your choise for caliber...anything going that fast and well placed will do the job. Having said that, I carry a .45. Just can't get it out of my head that when 'it's' well placed, a .45 will stop a threat demonstrably better.

...and I also own a Glock. IMO, it's reliability trumps that it's got a fat grip and that the trigger isn't the smoothest. And I consider the double trigger, not as a safety, but as a function of going from DA to SA.

Will

Yet more people have been accidentally SHOT by Glocks with the safeties on the triggers then people killed because they used too small of caliber in a defense situation.

Please cite your source data on this.

And tell the cop who shot himself in the leg while holstering his Glock that the safety on the trigger is a SMART IDEA!
I assume you are referring to the youtube video of the DEA agent who shot himself? It wasn't the guns fault, it was his poor handling of a firearm which he thought to be unloaded.

While all this arguing is going on over bullet size I find it almost funny that there is almost no mention of the fact that some of the most popular firearms such as Glock and XD put the SAFETY on the Trigger!

I want to know who thought it was a smart idea to put the safety on the trigger and then have their head examined for brain damage.

:

All modern DA revolvers are the same way. There is no "safety" to manually activate. Pull the trigger and they go bang. I guess Smith and Wesson and Bill Ruger and the owners of Colt and Taurus and Rossi and H&R all need to have their heads examined for brain damage.

I do not own a glock, I used to buy based off of looks. My next gun will probably be a glock though as I am no out of that phase :D

I am wondering though, when holstering a glock, is there any possibility at all for the trigger to catch on somehting and release the safety and go bang?

reported are with Glocks, but maybe that's because so many are in use, or maybe not!

One LEO went into the stall, hung his pistol on the coat hook, when hit the trigger and caused the pistol to empty itself as it recoiled off the hook. No one hurt though.

I'm guessing that most AD's like this are never reported outside the stations!!

Between the poor pointing in my hand (the angle of the grip is wrong for me and doesn't point naturally) and no real safety I no longer own a Glock

I hear people bash the .380 and say it's too small of caliber for defense, or that some wouldn't even think of carrying a 9mm for defense.

I can't see how you are making a connection between the perceived effectiveness of .380 and the trigger safety on a Glock.

Especially since that “Girly” .380 in your pocket probably has no safety other then a firing pin block.

I know mine doesn't..... ;)

But what does that have to do with Glock again?

The problem with Glocks is that you really need to be a grown-up to handle one safely. Tricky things like keeping your finger off the trigger and handling a firearm with deliberate care can be problematic for someone who hasn't reached that stage.

As for the .380, meh... statistically more people have been killed with a .22 than any other type of pistol round. (Yeah, yeah I know... there are reasons for that statistic. I'm just sayin...)

I have A sig P239 when no safety, as well as a glock 27... I have been looking at getting a siderlock for my glock http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ELLAMTSIDGSL001&click=12 which seems to be a decent idea.. a few reasons why i am thinking about getting it is.. one im going to get a 3 1/2 pound trigger on it and two my Wife my be carrying it and she would like a manual safety, but i do not think think they are girly guns... I know Alot of people that carry them an from their reputation I can see why.

gunsafety.jpg

= Original Poster

Strong opinion from SDR, in my opinion. The OP obviously had a great conversation starter. However, concealement aside, the S&W Model 19 is my favorite self defense gun. Statistics show that the .357 mag is the number one stopper of two legged predators. It has a trigger safety......don't put your finger on the trigger unless you are willing to destroy whatever is in front of the gun. In real life, I would probably carry a Walther PPK because of the concealability. You have to measure risk vs. practicality. I realize that, statistically, it is not likely that I will ever have to use my gun to protect myself. If I were a Game Warden or other law enforcement, I would insist on having nothing less than a .357 on me at any time. :s0159:

Story about .380. My dad was shooting at a range with a cop friend. Keep in mind, the back stop at the range was made of rubber tires. My dad was shooting a Walther PPKS as his backup. The cop saw this and told my dad the reason he will never shoot a .380. Seems a few years before the cop was shooting a .380 at said range. One of the bullets bounced off the rubber tire back stop, came back and hit him square in the nu-huts!:(

Story about .380. My dad was shooting at a range with a cop friend. Keep in mind, the back stop at the range was made of rubber tires. My dad was shooting a Walther PPKS as his backup. The cop saw this and told my dad the reason he will never shoot a .380. Seems a few years before the cop was shooting a .380 at said range. One of the bullets bounced off the rubber tire back stop, came back and hit him square in the nu-huts!:(

That's quite a story. Fortunately, I don't think I will have to stop advancing tires!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top