JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the flip side, there have been documented instances when police officers where killed while working out the safety.

An external safety is one more thing that could go wrong. One more thing to practice. There is no standard there - they vary from pistol to pistol.

As for the Glock trigger safety, its purpose is not to prevent the gun from firing when the trigger is pulled. Instead, it is intended to prevent the gun from going off, say, when dropped.

Take the case of the Ruger SR9. A few months after is release, Ruger had to recall the pistols because it could go off when dropped. Surprise, surprise. Their fix was to replace the trigger with a Glock-style trigger.

In short, Glock got it right the first time.

He's not "overly concerned with gun safety"; it appears that he's expecting a mechanical safety to make up for careless handling.

You Sir are 100% right on...

Not to mention this comment from the O.P. ,

Let me shoot you with my .380 hollow points and you tell me if it feels like a girly round.

This kind of mind set is a train wreck waiting to happen...

Lack of knowledge and Lack of using true Firearm safety will be what really leaves a mark,I hope it won't be to a innocent Bi-Stander ...

100% agreed!

When I carry my 1911...it's cocked and locked. Some may view the hammer back as an accident waiting to happen, but that kind of response is generally from people who haven't been professionally taught. Same with my Glock...it's a safely manufactored gun.

I wouldn't handle a gun without training anymore than I'd try to perform brain surgery without the schooling...both situations would end up tragically.

I for one will admit to having spent money and taken classes from well regarded professionals. When it comes to life and death...it's too important to leave it to say...a well meaning uncle or your next door neighbor bubba on a Saturday afternoon.

Maybe it's time for the OP to throw in his daily .02 cents.:s0155:

Will

Wow, Glock owners, are you guys so sensitized to Glock-bashes that you always go for the throat at the first hint that someone thinks your sidearms are less than perfect?
I thought this phenomenon was just at Glock dealers, but it seems it's here too.

I don't own a Glock because there is more than one thing I don't care for about them. I don't bash them though because even though I've shot a few, I've never owned one, therefore I don't have long term experience with one. Apparently they are like puppies and kittens though, in that they grow on you, becoming your best friend.
They must, because I have never heard of another gun brand that owners tried so hard to sell me on, even after they are told I don't want one.
I've heard used car salesmen with less zeal.

This started years ago when I went looking for a single action auto loading pistol. I literally had to walk out of two different stores when the owners/salesperson tried to convince me that is not what I wanted, I had to have DA and that a Glock was the only way to go.

And I never heard anyone else try so hard to disparage the shooter, their technique(s), their handling practices, and other brands in defense of their beloved pistols. 1911 owners can be pretty one-sided, but nothing like Glock owners!

It sounds to me like the OP went looking for a pistol that fit and that they wanted, and like me were repeatedly told they needed a Glock of some size/caliber/type, despite their preference for something other than a Glock.

Message to Glock owners and salespeople: Give it a rest!
Glock dealers do occasionally have other brands, or used guns that aren't Glocks. (trade ins?) But I've yet to hear one tout the features they may offer.

Kias, Yugos, Chevys and Subarus may be great cars for some people.
But I don't care to own one of those either.
California may be a great place to live for some people, but it's not for me.
Curry may taste great to some people. Not me.
Some people don't like the noise and smell of diesels, so their vehicles are all gas powered,...

Wow, Glock owners, are you guys so sensitized to Glock-bashes that you always go for the throat at the first hint that someone thinks your sidearms are less than perfect?
I thought this phenomenon was just at Glock dealers, but it seems it's here too.

I don't own a Glock because there is more than one thing I don't care for about them. I don't bash them though because even though I've shot a few, I've never owned one, therefore I don't have long term experience with one. Apparently they are like puppies and kittens though, in that they grow on you, becoming your best friend.
They must, because I have never heard of another gun brand that owners tried so hard to sell me on, even after they are told I don't want one.
I've heard used car salesmen with less zeal.

This started years ago when I went looking for a single action auto loading pistol. I literally had to walk out of two different stores when the owners/salesperson tried to convince me that is not what I wanted, I had to have DA and that a Glock was the only way to go.

And I never heard anyone else try so hard to disparage the shooter, their technique(s), their handling practices, and other brands in defense of their beloved pistols. 1911 owners can be pretty one-sided, but nothing like Glock owners!

It sounds to me like the OP went looking for a pistol that fit and that they wanted, and like me were repeatedly told they needed a Glock of some size/caliber/type, despite their preference for something other than a Glock.

Message to Glock owners and salespeople: Give it a rest!
Glock dealers do occasionally have other brands, or used guns that aren't Glocks. (trade ins?) But I've yet to hear one tout the features they may offer.

Kias, Yugos, Chevys and Subarus may be great cars for some people.
But I don't care to own one of those either.
California may be a great place to live for some people, but it's not for me.
Curry may taste great to some people. Not me.
Some people don't like the noise and smell of diesels, so their vehicles are all gas powered,...

There may be zealots out here that fiercely defend Glocks...but I haven't really seen that on this thread.
Perhaps you were venting about something you've experienced elsewhere?

I own a few handguns and yes, one of them a Glock. It's ok I guess. I like it's high capacity mags and numerous other features. Looks? It's a pretty ugly gun, but then so is my Crossbreed Supertuck holster...but it's very comfortable.

Mostly I carry a Kahr P45. Some people might say the trigger guard will make your finger sore...yeah, maybe after a hundred rounds or so...but that's not what it's made for. When I need it, it will be for a couple rounds at best.

Will

There may be zealots out here that fiercely defend Glocks...but I haven't really seen that on this thread.
Perhaps you were venting about something you've experienced elsewhere?
Will

Really? #15 Implication that the OP is not a "grown-up?"
The problem with Glocks is that you really need to be a grown-up to handle one safely. Tricky things like keeping your finger off the trigger and handling a firearm with deliberate care can be problematic for someone who hasn't reached that stage.

O.P. Should not own guns...
#19, 20
some people will never get it the real safety is not found on the gun.
He's not "overly concerned with gun safety"; it appears that he's expecting a mechanical safety to make up for careless handling.
This kind of mind set is a train wreck waiting to happen...

Any questions about whether or not the OP is being treated fairly?

Maybe the OP wants to carry the gun in the woods, where something like the trigger may snag on brush, branches etc?
Where a slip and fall may cost him a knee, or maybe his life?
Why have his gun handling skills and ability to safely use/carry a gun come into question, because he doesn't like the design?
There are many features that aren't necessarily benefits. This is true of most things, especially mechanical devices.

Apparently it's okay to turn the fear of a Glock bash into a person bash.

Have to aggree with the OP... The lack of safety features turns me off from the idea of carrying a glock. Will get one eventually, but I don't think I'd carry one unless it was my only option.

SilverBullets ... I think YOU should have your head examined. And BTW the XD handguns have a second safety on the grip ... if you didn't know ... Also BTW I love both Glocks and XD ... I love them that much that I own about 6 of them all together. The only other .45 I have is a EAA Elite Match which BTW has a "conventional" safety ...

Have to aggree with the OP... The lack of safety features turns me off from the idea of carrying a glock. Will get one eventually, but I don't think I'd carry one unless it was my only option.

From the Glock web-site: THE top product among the small arms of the world is without doubt the GLOCK "Safe Action" pistol. It employs innovative safety features which makes the pistol easy to operate. ... ACTION
Safe and ingeniously simple: Contrary to conventional, the trigger is the only operating element. All three pistol safeties are deactivated when the trigger is pulled -and automatically activated when it is released. ... One operating element - one rule. Finger away from the trigger, three pistol safeties are active. Pull the trigger, the safeties are deactivated and the pistol is fired.

There is a Trigger, a Firing Pin and a Drop Safety .. all of them disengaged when you pull the trigger. If you participated in the IPSC trainings you would have learned the first rule: Keep your finger OFF the trigger 'till your target is in sight.

Nowadays, Glock offers a "Safety Pack" made of a safety lock on the pistol, a safety holster and a safety case. If that doesn't satisfy your "safety needs" I don't know what else would ...

Somebody once said: "Less is more" ... I totally agree with that.

The OP is kinda new here and probably had no idea that he was opening up this large can of worms. I have found that knocking other brands, be it guns, cars, m/c's, ect. dosen't work well on a forum, or any place else when I think about it.:)

Really? #15 Implication that the OP is not a "grown-up?"
Any questions about whether or not the OP is being treated fairly?

Maybe the OP wants to carry the gun in the woods, where something like the trigger may snag on brush, branches etc?
Where a slip and fall may cost him a knee, or maybe his life?
Why have his gun handling skills and ability to safely use/carry a gun come into question, because he doesn't like the design?
There are many features that aren't necessarily benefits. This is true of most things, especially mechanical devices.

Apparently it's okay to turn the fear of a Glock bash into a person bash.

Taking anything out of context is a surefire way to come off as an idiot.

All the quotes you listed were not attacking the OPs dislike of Glocks. They were bashing the OPs REASON for disliking Glock... safety placement.

As far as walking in the woods with a gun that the "trigger may snag on branches"... Wha..errrr...buh?:confused: How in the world would a branch snag on any trigger of any gun if it were being carried in any acceptably safe manner? Holster = covered trigger guard. I'm mightily confused by this statement.

Again, if you had read and comprehended (two things that are rarely done on internet fori) the intent of the poster and the intent of the responses, you would see there was very little "OH MY GOSH YOU INSULTED GLOCKS! PITCHFORKS! TORCHES! TO ARMS BROTHERS, TO ARMS!" going on. If you noticed my first response (third post, page 1) I do not own a Glock, or any firearm that has a "safe action-esque" trigger.

The "attack" on the OP is warranted. Anybody who feels the need for a safety on a firearm needs to gain a little more education about said firearm before labeling it as broken or stupid. Saying "I don't like Glock because of safety placement" is much different than "Glocks are stupid because they put the safety on the trigger." See what I mean? Furthermore, as stated previously, there are many firearms WITHOUT safeties, and in educated, trained hands (not some super secret squirrel training, either. Just common sense and following the 4BROFS) they are as safe as houses.

I carry my 1911 "cocked and locked" (good lord do I hate that phrase...) daily. I have never once thought I was ever going to shoot myself. ****, I have unholstered to find that the thumb safety was disengaged, and I didn't say "Man, that was close, coulda shot myself!" because I know my firearm, and I know that without pressure on the trigger and grip safety, the gun WILL NOT FIRE unless some internal part is broken. At that point, nothing I could do would prevent it, other than preventative maintenance.

So please, next time? read, comprehend, absorb, defend or contribute. Don't come in here and label everyone as Glock lovers because the OPs post was slightly handicapped.

As far as walking in the woods with a gun that the "trigger may snag on branches"... Wha..errrr...buh?:confused: How in the world would a branch snag on any trigger of any gun if it were being carried in any acceptably safe manner? Holster = covered trigger guard. I'm mightily confused by this statement.

Uhh...hello, there are branches and things to trip on in the woods which can make your Glock discharge. The video in this link is proof of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC4vPMpDbRY

:s0155:

Thank you Selftest, well said. If you are not capable of keeping your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target, what makes you think you are capable of engaging said "manual safety"?
As for the video Matt_w posted: Again, trigger on finger while the sights are not on the target and he is not ready to fire. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp? Study the 4 laws of firearm safety.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top