JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dear NW Firearms Brain Trust: I recently purchased a Shadow Systems CR920 Elite pistol and took it to the range for the 200-round break-in suggested by the manufacturer. I loaded 20 10-round magazines, and during the first ten, the slide failed to lock after the magazine was empty all 10 times. For the remaining ten magazines, the slide only locked back about five times. I checked my hand position a few times and added more lubrication to the slide, as recommended by the manufacturer's break-in instructions. I do not have large hands, and should not be interfering with the slide lock; however, it is possible my hand was holding up the slide lock lever during the recoil event (I probably need to think of a way to test this possibility of one-handed firing). Has anyone else seen this issue with the CR920 or other subcompact semi-autos? The issue occurred with both of the manufacturer's provided magazines. Other than this one significant issue, the pistol operated flawlessly and shoots really well. Please respond with your recommended troubleshooting procedure: First try A, then B, and then C. Also, at what point should I contact Shadow Systems?

Thanks in advance for your collective expertise and recommendations.

I have seen this problem more commonly with subcompact models than with full-size models. More movement under recoil means more opportunity for the shooters hands to interfere with controls. Also more common with under-powered ammo.

I'd try 2 things before contacting the manufacture. First thing would be to have another experienced shooter try the gun. Can't count the number of times I've had people insist there was a problem with their pistol, generally the sights, only to have another person shoot the gun and have it work perfectly. Next thing I'd try would be different ammo.

Side note - I have was more issues with the slide not locking back on my G17 if I'm using MagPul mags. Even worse on my PCC. The bolt hold open is 100% effective with stock mags and less than 50% with magpuls.

Obviously I don't know your skill / experience level

Very common for people new to compact / sub compact pistols to not provide a firm enough grip for the pistols to cycle reliably. The pistol maybe short cycling. will the pistol lock open if slide is manually pulled to the rear with an empty magazine? Have you allowed another shooter to try their luck with it? Repeatedly loading and firing a single round will help with diagnosis without burning 10 rounds at a time. If shooting at a range you might ask the range master to see how it behaves for him. When I was in manufacturing we often had pistols returned fur problems that we could only duplicate by limp wristing. Many new shooters just need a little coaching. Don't hesitate to ask for help / advice at the range most range employee's are more than happy to help if approached correctly.

I checked my hand position a few times and added more lubrication to the slide, as recommended by the manufacturer's break-in instructions. I do not have large hands, and should not be interfering with the slide lock; however, it is possible my hand was holding up the slide lock lever during the recoil event (I probably need to think of a way to test this possibility of one-handed firing). Has anyone else seen this issue with the CR920 or other subcompact semi-autos?
yes, although I have larger hands and have the opposite effect where my thumb bumps the slide lock lever up during recoil locking the slide back randomly.
Anyways, try a test run deliberately making certain your not resting your thumb on the slide lock lever, you cant otherwise diagnose the issue until you rule your thumb out....

Obviously I don't know your skill / experience level

Very common for people new to compact / sub compact pistols to not provide a firm enough grip for the pistols to cycle reliably. The pistol maybe short cycling. will the pistol lock open if slide is manually pulled to the rear with an empty magazine? Have you allowed another shooter to try their luck with it? Repeatedly loading and firing a single round will help with diagnosis without burning 10 rounds at a time. If shooting at a range you might ask the range master to see how it behaves for him. When I was in manufacturing we often had pistols returned fur problems that we could only duplicate by limp wristing. Many new shooters just need a little coaching. Don't hesitate to ask for help / advice at the range most range employee's are more than happy to help if approached correctly.
some good advice and much appreciated. I'll try the single-round magazine and alternate shooter suggestions.

yes, although I have larger hands and have the opposite effect where my thumb bumps the slide lock lever up during recoil locking the slide back randomly.
Anyways, try a test run deliberately making certain your not resting your thumb on the slide lock lever, you cant otherwise diagnose the issue until you rule your thumb out....
Koda,
I think you are onto the issue, but I'll have to verify it at the range and will update the thread. Most of my previous semi-auto pistols have been compact or larger, so shooting the subcompact is a key difference. While cleaning the pistol, I noticed that the slide catch was very easy to actuate (not much tension on the spring). I did not have this issue while shooting my spouse's very small M&P .380, but it was a little different. In response to your suggestion, I'll change my grip by deliberately moving my strong-side hand thumb across my weak-side thumb to ensure it is completely out of the way to eliminate it as a potential issue. If correct, I'm really going to focus on retraining my pistol grip technique. Hopefully, the "old dogs and new tricks" proverb is wrong.

If correct, I'm really going to focus on retraining my pistol grip technique. Hopefully, the "old dogs and new tricks" proverb is wrong.
Im still not used to adjusting my grip....
Im a 1911 guy and only recently bought my first striker fired (glock 19 clone) and wasted lotsa ammo trying to find the culprit was my grip. Any contact with the "glocks" slide lever bumps it or holds it down... hardly any tension on it is needed to affect it.
Once i forced my new grip position it runs fine. But i still forget sometimes.

Solution.

That is a great solution. I wonder if it works on the Glock clones like the Shadow Systems CR920 I'm running. I didn't see anything on the Kagwerks site that referenced a Shadow Systems application.

That is a great solution. I wonder if it works on the Glock clones like the Shadow Systems CR920 I'm running. I didn't see anything on the Kagwerks site that referenced a Shadow Systems application.
It should. If the Glock OEM one's fit then the Kagwerks will too. Every single Glock I own gets one. They will mark up your slide though. So if you want your gun to stay pretty don't buy one.

I have seen this problem more commonly with subcompact models than with full-size models. More movement under recoil means more opportunity for the shooters hands to interfere with controls. Also more common with under-powered ammo.

I'd try 2 things before contacting the manufacture. First thing would be to have another experienced shooter try the gun. Can't count the number of times I've had people insist there was a problem with their pistol, generally the sights, only to have another person shoot the gun and have it work perfectly. Next thing I'd try would be different ammo.

Side note - I have was more issues with the slide not locking back on my G17 if I'm using MagPul mags. Even worse on my PCC. The bolt hold open is 100% effective with stock mags and less than 50% with magpuls.
Great recommendations! I'll try both fixes.

It should. If the Glock OEM one's fit then the Kagwerks will too. Every single Glock I own gets one. They will mark up your slide though. So if you want your gun to stay pretty don't buy one.
I'll gladly trade pretty for function. Thanks again for the very useful recommendation. I

I'll gladly trade pretty for function. Thanks again for the very useful recommendation. I
If you're over riding the slide stop I had the same issue when I bought a Gen 5 Glock. I shoot left handed so I never had to worry about overriding the slide lock on Gen3 and Gen4s. Once I got a Gen 5 (slide stop on both sides) because of my grip I had all kinds issues.

You could also shoot multiple mags one handed or left handed and see if it occurs when the slide stop is clear of any kind of contact.

Just don't limp wrist it cause you may end up causing other malfunctions.

maybe I missed it. But are you using OEM glock mags? or just the mags that came with the SS, since I know they don't come with OEM glock mags? I would've tried different mags first if not already tried out.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews