JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

That was excellent!

I don't own a Glock myself, but I like them. The examples I've gotten to play around with were all accurate and reliable, and helped completely change my opinion of them. I've actually started thinking that I might need one for my collection!

As far as safety, I know a guy who only carries 5 rounds in his Highway Patrolman .357, because he can't be convinced that a round under the hammer would be safe!

It seems saying the word Glock always brings up with the "they are not safe " conversation. My two favorite carry guns are a Kahr, which has less safety features and a .38 snubbie. I am left handed as well which cannot be safe.:s0112: Guess its time to buy a Glock since they at least tried to have a safety feature...........

I have an XD9 and the "safety" on this gun, or any other gun for that matter, begins in your own head, KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER OF ANY GUN UNTIL YOU PLAN ON FIRING IT ! and as for the .380 being a girly gun/caliber ? I had a buddy, I SAID HAD, that was killed in south Florida during a home invasion robbery 2 years ago w/a .22 Jennings POS, one shot center mass.... enuf said.

Manual safeties, trigger safeties, or none, a gun is just like any other potentially dangerous tool. This reminds me of when I bought my first motorcycle. My father sat me down on the porch and said he had only one bit of advice. He said, "The minute you think you know everything about it, don't respect it, or loose your fear of it, it can kill you." The same is true of a lot of things from guns, to motorcycles, to farm machinery. One of the inspections military armorers use when maintaining M16s and M4s is to make the sure the gun is unloaded, cock it, put the selector switch on safe, pull the trigger, and finally place the selector switch back to fire. If the hammer falls when you click the safety off, the gun needs to be repaired. Now what does this tell you about putting undue faith in a manual safety? Keep your finger off the trigger and keep it pointed in a safe direction.

If their safety system was inadequate, Glock would have been bankrupted by lawsuits 20 years ago.

Anyone can make money selling a gun that originally contracted for under $50 for $400. the original contract also included 2 mags and they made money at THAT price.

tupperware still belongs in the kitchen.

and I still like a manual safety.

ok...so as a proud owner of these supposedly evil trigger safety firearms there is validity to having a grip safety, thumb safety, and drop firing pin safety.

here is case #1 for me (b/c it actually happen to me). After a long day of carrying I was taking out my holster from the belt it was clipped on and my hand was gripping the outside of the holster with my fingers and thumb in an overhanded motion, with the back of the gun in the palm of the hand as I pulled out, my fingers clamped down on the holster but slipped and then proceeded to pull the gun out of the holster. my ring finger slipped inside the trigger guard and actually made contact with the trigger. Using a standard 5.5lbs trigger connector the trigger did not engage, but I'm almost for certain had I used the 3.5lbs trigger connector my gun would have AD right there. After a frozen moment in time, i cleared the pistol and finally exhaled.

For a while this really bothered me and I had a lot of trepidation carrying my glocks especially after the research I did looking at the number of AD's the SPD had at their training facility and how they happened.

I ended up carrying a nice DAO light j-frame for the next year or so, which I have to say is a fine carry piece on its own which I was confident nothing would budge that trigger accidentally. The J-frame has no safety except the trigger bar, but is an incredible safe piece. YMMV, if you don't think the glock is safe, don't carry one. I still carry mine, i'm just very careful with it when the sights aren't tracked onto a target.

i'd be tempted to try a NY trigger on my glock. super safe and still easy to access.

My Sig 226 has no safety.

Correction Your Sig P226 has no manual safety. It does have an automatic firing pin safety lock which will prevent the pistol from discharging UNLESS the trigger is pulled. :s0155:

This type of safety is much safer than many revolvers utilizing the 'transfer bar' which prevents transfer of energy from hammer to firing pin unless the trigger is pulled but does NOT prevent firing pin from moving into contact with the cartridge if the revolver is impacted hard enough.

I really like having resources like this forum and others like it so that I can draw on the knowledge and experiences of others. I must say, it is threads like this one that make me uneasy about asking questions.

I think it's great!
I haven't noticed anyone getting roasted for asking seemingly dumb questions. I have plenty of them.
But if you come off talking smack...well you're on your own.:)

Will

I'm actually glad my XD doesn't have a "conventional" safety because it forces me to constantly be aware of how I'm handling my gun and where my finger is. If I had a "safety" to rely on I would develop poor handling techniques.

And regarding calibers, any caliber you can control with confidence will get the job done.

I wont go into the .380 being a girl round thing, a .22 can kill you with good shot placement.

My first gun was a S&W sigma with one of those wonderful trigger safeties. I never had a problem with it never felt that it would go off unless I was ready to shoot it.

That said I like to take friends shooting who have never handled a gun before. I get a kick out of seeing their face and reactions as they figure out what shooting a handgun is actual like. I felt that having a pistol with a trigger safety was a horrible choice for this. I just wasn't comfortable handing someone who wasn't experienced with a handgun a loaded weapon they could just pull the trigger on and have go bang. Even with the sigmas very long trigger pull I felt like someone was going to be a dumb ***.

I have seen a husband caught in bed by his wife, who emptied at point blank range, a .25 Auto! He survived with no major organs hit. A friend shot a hold up artist from a sitting in a chair at fifteen feet with a .380. The round went upward, after an impact under the chin. Instant death! The greatest safety is your trigger finger. Without it being on any firearm, it will not fire!!!
Sorry but never saw a LEO beat himself to the draw by having his finger on the trigger. The finger is never placed on the trigger until the sights are on the target that is to be destroyed. Most of the retension release holsters, are released by the trigger finger outside and along the side of the holster. Before the trigger safety came into being, my carry was a 1911 A1, modified.
The Glock I carry now, I feel less can go wrong dealing with a single factor, only can be activated WITH YOUR TRIGGER FINGER! No such thing as a girly gun. Certain calibers of a greater size can usually terminate quicker with vidal organs being hit than the lesser. Not always however!:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top