JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes the ergonomics of the M&P is so much better for me.
There you go, simply use the one you shoot the best. The reliability of a M&P should be similar the average Glock, if yours is not replace it or find out why...
Firearms are like shoes, a mattress or the seating in a vehicle, different preferences are inevitable.

People are so used to pointing with their index finder and with Glocks it's much easier and more effective to point with your thumbs like you indicated due to grip angle. One of the reasons people immediately assume their natural point of aim with a Glock is high when in reality their body mechanics are incorrect.
My natural point of aim with Glocks (Ruger Marks, Woodsmans, etc.) is high because of the completely different grip angle. Your wrist has to be tilted down more, and my wrist do not like to move in that direction due to injuries. Yes, people are used to pointing with their index fingers, not their thumbs. I don't see it as their body mechanics are incorrect; they have to adopt different mechanics to shoot guns with significantly different grip angles and be able to hit things.

I agree that people can learn to shoot Glock-grip-angle guns correctly and some find the angle to their liking. But there is a reason that low-left shooting has been labeled a Glock-thing for a reason. It seems to manifest itself more with higher-angle gripped guns. Not Glock bashing at all, not bad, just different.

For me grip angle makes no difference in accuracy. If it was a huge factor then I think very few people would be accurate with ruger mark series .22s which considered a very accurate pistol and has a much more angled grip. I like 1911 grip angle the best but it just doesn't matter for me other than personal preference/comfort. See ruger grip angle comparison below. Small grip sizes front to back do make a difference for me which is why I build them out to the correct size for me with grip tape if they are too small (rare). Grip angle could affect how quick (or how instinctively/naturally) you can get alignment with the target though, such as willamette will said above "natural point of aim" imo.

DD73C111-5FE6-48F0-AC78-5528A991205A.png
Imo proper grip as Washingtonian said above is paramount. And along with that your trigger finger needs to be independent of the grip. People in the past taught 60% left hand 40% trigger hand grip. I think that is simply a crutch they used in class to aid people in not tensing their trigger finger, to keep it independent of the grip. In reality grip should be 100% left hand plus 100% right hand. As firm as you can hold it without creating a tremor. Get as much purchase on the grip as you can with both hands (left hand this is primarily only back of the grip) and hands should clamp together on both front and back of the grip like a vice. And don't allow any of that to affect your trigger finger at all. As said above seek out Mike seeklander videos on grip.

Last Edited:
Do you have some pictures of what you mean and what/how you do it?
Re grip tape type, Fe rubberized vs abrasive (skateboard) vs cats tongue or whatever one prefers. The key is to use a hair dryer and heat it up when applying (same directions as talon grips as I recall but it's been ages).

For me I don't care about aesthetics so I just cut strips to make it feel right. If you look at talon grips instructions you can see they typically have finger grove strips and can see what portions of the gun are typically covered. For me I just put tape in areas that don't feel right or can't get a solid grip on, or where I think it would help. Fe" I wish it was thicker here at the web of my hand". Then after a while it's "that feels perfect!".

Fe Walther ppq has a really small grip for me so I put several layers on back and some in front and other hand contact points. It's completely reversible so if you don't like it just remove and try again. This is a new gun and I will try it as shown and then probably put an outer layer of cats tongue just for aesthetics and see if that makes it worse or better. What I mean by "one layer for aesthetics" is one piece on each side of the grip (not the front or back) that covers everything (similar to talon grip instruction of putting finger strips first then final layer over the top). But for now this is a night and day improvement of the grip compared to before (for my hand I mean, someone else may have thought it was perfect out of the box).

If you care about aesthics a lot I would just use talon grips or build up the grip how you want it and put talon grips over top. Talon sells sheets to cut your own for custom grips also. My p938 grips are quite small so I built it up quite a bit and even made a small thumb shelf like you see on target grips. Final layer of cats tongue covers everything making one smooth layer for top layer. That gun just feels like an extension of my arm even though it's a tiny gun.

Only analogy I can think of is liek if you held an aluminum baseball bat that had no grip and was fairly thin. Then a friend tries to hit the bat from side to side as if to knwock it out of your hands. You would probably have some wobble as you tried to keep the bat from moving. Now if the same bat had a wider grip of a material you could really clamp down on, when they tried to knock it side to side it woudl wobble less cuz you have more purchase on it. So with a pistol if you were holding the gun as if to shoot and a friend tried to knock the gun side to side as you are holding it out, your shoulder and arms may move but the gun and your hands should not move at all. If grip is too relaxed or you are not getting a good purchase on it the gun will move.

Last Edited:
My natural point of aim with Glocks (Ruger Marks, Woodsmans, etc.) is high because of the completely different grip angle. Your wrist has to be tilted down more, and my wrist do not like to move in that direction due to injuries. Yes, people are used to pointing with their index fingers, not their thumbs. I don't see it as their body mechanics are incorrect; they have to adopt different mechanics to shoot guns with significantly different grip angles and be able to hit things.

I agree that people can learn to shoot Glock-grip-angle guns correctly and some find the angle to their liking. But there is a reason that low-left shooting has been labeled a Glock-thing for a reason. It seems to manifest itself more with higher-angle gripped guns. Not Glock bashing at all, not bad, just different.
Which is why I am referring to pointing with your thumbs when shooting a Glock. If you drive your thumbs to the target (with proper grip of course) you will be spot on. Driving/pointing your thumbs immediately cants your wrist into a downward angle leveling the Glock platform. I'm just used to it so it's natural for me. To someone who is not familiar with the angle like you suggested they will normally have a high point of aim.

Not everyone likes Glocks or can shoot them good. A lot of people give up cause it's new and frustrating. I understand that. But one can move past those obstacles with training and quality/CORRECT time behind the gun.

If you shoot a Glock or Colt Woodsman aiming using the sights you can be reasonably accurate whether the gun has your preferred grip angle or not. However, your ability to fire the gun reasonably accurately by point shooting, that is not using the sights, such as shooting from the hip or another position in which gun is not on the line of sight between eyes and target may be vastly impaired. In addition, the grip you need to use on the gun to align sights may feel awkward.

If you are actually shooting low and left while using the sights, this means something else is going on. A flinch for example. Or pushing the gun's trigger left and down as you squeeze trigger. Ideally, you should engage the trigger with the middle of the pad on the first digit of your trigger finger and press the trigger straight back so the gun is not pulled off to one side. However, if the gun is too small for your hand so that the length of pull is too short that's close to impossible. You can lengthen the LOP by building the back of the grip up but that gives you just a little adjustability.

I don't know if it's possible or not, but just curious if it is possible to not be able to shoot a Glock well at all ever. I struggled mightily today at the range with my 43X and a rented 48. That being said, I also struggled with the shield plus, which I shot really good the last time I rented it. But I do know that my 2.0 compact, I shoot it pretty darn well. But I'm sure the grip angle and everything like that on the Glock is got a learning curve. Any thoughts comments and opinions are extremely welcome thank you.
been having a blast literally with my new to me g19. sights are so big and wide i feel like i can find the target better. still working on grip and trigger pull but if anything it feels easier to hit my target with the glock.

There sure are a lot of limp-wristed, noodle arm shooters out there. Maybe... they should go to the gym for awhile, before they try to handle any firearm.

Instead of sniveling online, attend some competent firearms training courses. Or better yet, enlist In the military and receive firearms training for free!

There sure are a lot of limp-wristed, noodle arm shooters out there. Maybe... they should go to the gym for awhile, before they try to handle any firearm.

Instead of sniveling online, attend some competent firearms training courses. Or better yet, enlist In the military and receive firearms training for free!
I guess if you call asking for advice sniveling gotcha Bro. 😎

You must be real fun at parties.

Hmmm. Joined just this year. Only 23 messages, none longer than four lines. All but two only two lines or less. Sum total is to sneer at everyone here and say "Go take some training." Wow. How profound. As if that doesn't get said multiple times in every thread. But without the snotty gratuitous expressions of contempt. Does not seem to himself have served in the military. And is just a freeloader here.
:s0097:

Last Edited:
20 some years ago I was issued a Glock .40. I had been shooting for many decades and was a good shot. Hated the Glock After a few range days I adjusted and became quite proficient.

20 some years ago I was issued a Glock .40. I had been shooting for many decades and was a good shot. Hated the Glock After a few range days I adjusted and became quite proficient.
Awesome that gives me immense hope. I'm gonna set up some formal training sessions with a handgun instructor. He was a Mariner for 24 years and also a weapons instructor and he's been doing it now in civilian life for about 20 years. I shoot my M&P 2.0 compact fine. I just prefer the 43X over the Shield Plus. Mainly because I can get a full grip without mag extensions. And at my last range session I couldn't shoot anything fine. I probably couldn't have even shot a BB gun worth a darn. Thank you for the feedback greatly appreciated!

Shot Glock .40 and 9mm today side by side with a bunch of other pistols. Glocks were about the same as other match and steel pistols for me. Also compared glocks with braces which had groups that were half the size of regular glocks and tripled the range you can be accurate. Even with the small flux brace. Night and day difference. Just saying braces make a world of difference, not suggesting op get a brace to fix accuracy issues. Learn grip and proper technique first, then brace makes you shoot like a superhero ha ha.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews