JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Additional thought:

Now - if I want to ENJOY shooting a semi-auto pistol at the range for fun, then grip angle and texture and size DOES impact my enjoyment. I love shooting my 1911's because of the 18 degree grip angle (versus the 22 degree angle of a Glock - and I am a Glock fanboy).

But for basic ability to use a pistol effectively and accurately (e.g., self-defense) - I can effectively adapt to pretty much any firearm because of the method of gripping a semi-auto pistol I use.

Cheers.
I have found that stippling helps quite a bit with a grip. Personally I don't shoot/carry anything that I can't get a full purchase on.

I stipple every Glock I own. I just picked up a 48 and that one is gunna get stippled within the next week or so.

IMG_4309.jpeg

Last Edited:
When a Glock is in battery (ready to fire), the striker spring is about 70% charged.
The remaining 30% is charged with the trigger press.
This is what gets folks that are new to Glock. Some never master it and end up moving their sights to compensate.
A right-handed shooter will often hit low left.

You need a nice, straight back press as you pull through Glock's staple gun feeling trigger break.
Dry fire practice with a dime or penny balanced on your front sight.

Last Edited:
When a Glock is in battery (ready to fire), the striker spring is about 70% charged.
The remaining 30% is charged with the trigger press.
This is what gets folks that are new to Glock. Some never master it and end up moving their sights to compensate.
A right-handed shooter will often hit low left.

You need a nice, straight back press as you pull through Glock's staple gun feeling trigger break.
Dry fire practice with a dime or penny balanced on your front sight.
Like any revolver shooter or fan of the double-single action decocker guns.

A million years ago I added one of the aftermarket pin on beavertails to my 19, flattens out the backstrap...it fixed all my "glock shooting issues".

Stock ones have always felt like they pointed high for me and I had to conciously aim low...
The angle between the grip frame and barrel on a Glock, Luger, Colt Woodsman Target, or Ruger standard or MK II is a bit farther from a right angle than is a 1911 or most center fire semiautos. One of the guns I grew up on was a Colt Woodsman Target and the other was a revolver with a grip that also pointed like the Woodsman. The Glocks point naturally for me, but the 1911s point low. Way low. Many people like the configuaration of the .22 semiautos with the wider grip angle but its harder to make that design feed reliably in center fire calibers. So most center fire semiautos have the 1911 style configuration. If that's what you are used to, a Glock will seem to point high unless you deliberately learn a different style of pointing.

With semiautos the way the gun points can be modified somewhat by alternate back straps or grips, but within limits. Medium frame revolvers with a large number of aftermarket grips available, such as the round (but not square) butt frame versions of SW K or L medium frame and N large frame revolvers usually be made to point however you want them to point if you take a mens medium glove, which I do. However, the grips also control pointing laterally too. And the length of pull.

To see whether a gun points naturally for you, fix your eyes on something tiny to aim at. Now start lifting gun, closing eyes long before gun enters line of sight between target and eyes. Now open eyes, look through sights, and compare where the gun is pointing to where you thought you were aiming. A gun that points naturally for you will be pointing right at the chosen target. With such a gun it is easy to teach yourself various versions of point shooting including hip shooting. Especially with good DA revolvers with a muzzle-heavy balance shot DA. The muzzle heavy balance helps by giving your hand more feedback on where the muzzle is pointed.

I don't know if it's possible or not, but just curious if it is possible to not be able to shoot a Glock well at all ever. I struggled mightily today at the range with my 43X and a rented 48. That being said, I also struggled with the shield plus, which I shot really good the last time I rented it. But I do know that my 2.0 compact, I shoot it pretty darn well. But I'm sure the grip angle and everything like that on the Glock is got a learning curve. Any thoughts comments and opinions are extremely welcome thank you.
You probably just need to get a $400 aftermarket barrel, a $300 trigger pack and a $200 dot sight.. and move the target to three feet instead of four.
You can do it!

If a Glock doesn't point naturally you I would suggest getting something else. Most semi autos have a grip frame to barrel angle more like the 1911. You have a huge choice available.

This is weird because my Glock, 1911, CZ and M9 all shoot to the same point. If I close my eyes and aim with them, they are all roughly on target when I open my eyes. I know this because it's a thing that I practice, albeit not regularly. If I did that drill more regularly, I'd think it was just that I had practiced away that tendency, but I don't and frankly, I'm just not that good. I think a lot of this grip angle stuff is more subjective than objective.

This is weird because my Glock, 1911, CZ and M9 all shoot to the same point. If I close my eyes and aim with them, they are all roughly on target when I open my eyes. I know this because it's a thing that I practice, albeit not regularly. If I did that drill more regularly, I'd think it was just that I had practiced away that tendency, but I don't and frankly, I'm just not that good. I think a lot of this grip angle stuff is more subjective than objective.
I think you have learned different styles of pointing for the particular gun. That can work if you shoot all the guns regularly. And is easier if its 4 guns, not 40.

....I struggled mightily today at the range with my 43X and a rented 48. That being said, I also struggled with the shield plus, which I shot really good the last time I rented it....
Single stack glocks are trickier to keep on target throughout trigger pull compared to double stacks. I was told to focus on keeping pressure with pinky and ring finger, since as said above, they can be susceptible to "push/pull" and this is more noticeable in small single stacks. Seemed to help, compared to double stacks that don't seem too picky about your grip around the frame, mostly trigger motion. Remind yourself they're belly blasters, at a certain distance small motions become large movements on the target.

Why are you so set on the Glocks if you shoot that m&p so well? Just stick with that one and call it a day, unless you just want to collect guns in which case, welcome to the club.

My own personal experience is "grip is everything". (I know ... I know ... here I go again.)

How you grip a semi-auto pistol is EVERYTHING regarding ability to control the firearm and be accurate.

Getting a firearm with the perfect grip angle, or grip texture or whatever - it really doesn't matter.

Take a look at Mike Seeklander's or Rob Letham's vids on how to grip a semi-auto pistol. When you correctly place your shooting and support hands on the grip and squeeze a semi-auto grip as hard as you can, grip texture, angle and even length of the grip, become irrelevant for all intents and purposes.

My 2 cents.

TWYLALTR

Cheers
Thank you so very much. I'll take any and all advice. 🍻

Why are you so set on the Glocks if you shoot that m&p so well? Just stick with that one and call it a day, unless you just want to collect guns in which case, welcome to the club.
Not dead set on Glock. I shoot my M&P's pretty well they point more naturally for me. Just thought variety would be an advantage. That's why I said in one of my posts I've heard many times shoot what is comfortable for you shoot what points naturally for you shoot what you're confident with. I don't have a trigger time on my M&P's, or a Glock to say I'm proficient at one or the other. but I do shoot the M&P much better.

I found the Glock grip to get slippery and squirm around in my hand when shooting them. This makes me constantly have to reposition my grip shot to shot. I have 2 Gen 4's( a 22 and 32) with the replaceable back-straps and installed the "M" one on both. This one fills in the top of the grip best for me. Next I took the shine off of the top of the grip bumps with 80 grit sandpaper.

Upcoming Events

Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top