JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know if it's possible or not, but just curious if it is possible to not be able to shoot a Glock well at all ever. I struggled mightily today at the range with my 43X and a rented 48. That being said, I also struggled with the shield plus, which I shot really good the last time I rented it. But I do know that my 2.0 compact, I shoot it pretty darn well. But I'm sure the grip angle and everything like that on the Glock is got a learning curve. Any thoughts comments and opinions are extremely welcome thank you.
Perhaps it's how it affects your trigger finger/pull. If you have or can get a laser cartridge you can compare pretty easily between the glock and 2.0. If it's a longer or shorter reach your finger may be hitting the trigger at a different spot or cause a bit of an angle when you pull the trigger. Building the grip out with grip tape or grips is an option if the grip width is too small. If it's too large that won't help of course. You can test this on a temporary basis by building it up using any old tape and see if it makes a difference using the laser cartridge.

Or it could be you just have to get used to the trigger. You can compensate also by having a super strong grip. Perhaps google Mike seeklander grip to get some ideas of how to build a stronger grip (if needed).

If trying to improve overal grip through increased friction, I would not do any stippling to the grip. No need to deface an original gun, just use talon grips or similar which can be removed. Personally I would never buy a gun that's been stippled just like I wouldn't buy a "customized" Glock.

Okay, this is a HUGE clue.
The part about Glocks, being good durable and reliable, is one of the reasons I wanted to give Glock a try. Not that my M&P's are not good, durable, and reliable. I just know my last time at the range when I had my M&P's with me I had three failure to feed with the original 2.0 compact And three or four failures of the slide not locking back on the brand new 2.0 optics ready compact I'm not saying that those issues wouldn't happen with any other pistol.

Shooting low and left is a CLASSIC example of moving the pistol at the time of the trigger press (i.e., "flinching").
In well over 10,000 rounds in four different M&Ps (including 2 compacts and two with optics), I have had fewer malfs than you had at your last range session. I'm betting on a grip problem with all your guns. I find the low left "Glock" issues (it is really with all guns, but due to the higher angle of grip on the Glock (or Ruger Marks, Woodsman, Nambu, Luger, etc.) it is more pronounced. Those who are not gripping the gun tight enough tend to squeeze their entire grip while pulling the trigger, causing the gun to point low left for a right-handed shooter.

You don't see it as much on single action guns (Ruger, Woodsman), and folks that grew up on revolvers usually don't have this issue because you have to get used to pulling a long, hevier poundage trigger without moving the gun. Striker fired triggers tend to be in between so more motion is introduced.

My $.02, seriously work on getting a tighter, and proper, grip. Focus on this with dry fire and at the range. Grip issues = malfunction issues much of the time. Grip issues = low left issues much of the time as well. Find a coach who understands issues like this if you can. This is coming from someone who has two destroyed wrists and has to constantly keep up on this.

Good luck on your quest!

In well over 10,000 rounds in four different M&Ps (including 2 compacts and two with optics), I have had fewer malfs than you had at your last range session. I'm betting on a grip problem with all your guns. I find the low left "Glock" issues (it is really with all guns, but due to the higher angle of grip on the Glock (or Ruger Marks, Woodsman, Nambu, Luger, etc.) it is more pronounced. Those who are not gripping the gun tight enough tend to squeeze their entire grip while pulling the trigger, causing the gun to point low left for a right-handed shooter.

You don't see it as much on single action guns (Ruger, Woodsman), and folks that grew up on revolvers usually don't have this issue because you have to get used to pulling a long, hevier poundage trigger without moving the gun. Striker fired triggers tend to be in between so more motion is introduced.

My $.02, seriously work on getting a tighter, and proper, grip. Focus on this with dry fire and at the range. Grip issues = malfunction issues much of the time. Grip issues = low left issues much of the time as well. Find a coach who understands issues like this if you can. This is coming from someone who has two destroyed wrists and has to constantly keep up on this.

Good luck on your quest!
Thank you. Great info appreciate it immensely. 👍🏻

Good luck on your quest!
As to my malfunctions with my 2.0 compacts I was told it's due to extremely poor gun maintenance.

Ok a little off topic but for my Optic Ready 2.0 compact which Red Dot. I've never ran a red dot on a pistol.
You need the new and improved gangsta-dot I think (kidding!).

D4B9151C-B776-4363-BB08-6B3C51997D44.jpeg

As to my malfunctions with my 2.0 compacts I was told it's due to extremely poor gun maintenance.
That is always a possibility, but I know someone running an M&P who cleans guns in sync with when Halley's Comet shows up (not often) and doesn't have many issues...if there is oil on the gun. Clean is good and definitely reduces malfunctions. With reliable guns (which you have), I often find grip or a combination of lack of lube and grip a common culprit of malfunctions.
Ok a little off topic but for my Optic Ready 2.0 compact which Red Dot. I've never ran a red dot on a pistol.
The one that works best for you. :rolleyes: They are a bit personal depending on factors including your eyesight. Mine have Holosun 508Ts in green. I pick up green better than red (not uncommon with men). Some have larger windows, some are easier to adjust, some you have to pull of the gun to change the battery (a deal breaker for me). I also like the circle option instead of the dot for most of my shooting. Personal preference.

That is always a possibility, but I know someone running an M&P who cleans guns in sync with when Halley's Comet shows up (not often) and doesn't have many issues...if there is oil on the gun. Clean is good and definitely reduces malfunctions. With reliable guns (which you have), I often find grip or a combination of lack of lube and grip a common culprit of malfunctions.

The one that works best for you. :rolleyes: They are a bit personal depending on factors including your eyesight. Mine have Holosun 508Ts in green. I pick up green better than red (not uncommon with men). Some have larger windows, some are easier to adjust, some you have to pull of the gun to change the battery (a deal breaker for me). I also like the circle option instead of the dot for most of my shooting. Personal preference.
Just curious since I've never ran one.

I have NOT shot a Glock in years, but did they ever do anything to improve the trigger(s) on them - or any particular models?

The trigger on my 1st gen G17 was kind of 'springy' - not objectionable given the firing system but I figured maybe as they progressed they would improve the triggers & other issues as well.

I wonder how many people just googled Halley's Comet

Ok next question. Is the Performance Center Shield Plus that much more enhanced compared to the standard Shield Plus. What have they done to it to make it so much better. I've heard it's a better trigger.

This is roughly how I grip a semi-auto pistol.
"Thumbs Forward"
If you're right-handed, stay off of the slide and off the controls with your right thumb.
I'll take my left thumb and drive it into the frame a bit.
And keep the web of your right hand (for righties) away from the "slide bite zone" .
Grip-1024x616.jpg

Without going into it too much (please read/watch some reviews) I REALLY like the Primary Arms Holosuns with the ACSS Vulcan reticle. Do they have some downsides? Perhaps. But if you think you may end up in an "unconventional position" at some point in a fight (Hint- You will), the ACSS Vulcan reticle will get you back to the aiming point fast. This is a great feature for those of us who can't afford to live on a range (i.e.- don't get unlimited training time).

I realize that the choice of optics can quickly turn into a "Ford vs Chevy" debate. I'd just advise you to at least look at my recommendation prior to making a choice.

To clarify, the ACSS Vulcan reticle s something only Primary Arms offers, so you may not find it during a general Holosun search.

Best regards.

WMB

This is roughly how I grip a semi-auto pistol.
"Thumbs Forward"
If you're right-handed, stay off of the slide and off the controls with your right thumb.
I'll take my left thumb and drive it into the frame a bit.
And keep the web of your right hand (for righties) away from the "slide bite zone" .
View attachment 1844589
People are so used to pointing with their index finder and with Glocks it's much easier and more effective to point with your thumbs like you indicated due to grip angle. One of the reasons people immediately assume their natural point of aim with a Glock is high when in reality their body mechanics are incorrect.

Without going into it too much (please read/watch some reviews) I REALLY like the Primary Arms Holosuns with the ACSS Vulcan reticle. Do they have some downsides? Perhaps. But if you think you may end up in an "unconventional position" at some point in a fight (Hint- You will), the ACSS Vulcan reticle will get you back to the aiming point fast. This is a great feature for those of us who can't afford to live on a range (i.e.- don't get unlimited training time).

I realize that the choice of optics can quickly turn into a "Ford vs Chevy" debate. I'd just advise you to at least look at my recommendation prior to making a choice.

To clarify, the ACSS Vulcan reticle s something only Primary Arms offers, so you may not find it during a general Holosun search.

Best regards.

WMB
Thank you. A guy I work with recommended the red dot too.

I don't know if it's possible or not, but just curious if it is possible to not be able to shoot a Glock well at all ever. I struggled mightily today at the range with my 43X and a rented 48. That being said, I also struggled with the shield plus, which I shot really good the last time I rented it. But I do know that my 2.0 compact, I shoot it pretty darn well. But I'm sure the grip angle and everything like that on the Glock is got a learning curve. Any thoughts comments and opinions are extremely welcome thank you.
It comes down to ergonomics, some handguns just don't feel well in your hand so you don't shoot as well. An exception would be someone who has been trained to shoot well with any firearm such as a SEAL.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews