JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't know if it's possible or not, but just curious if it is possible to not be able to shoot a Glock well at all ever. I struggled mightily today at the range with my 43X and a rented 48. That being said, I also struggled with the shield plus, which I shot really good the last time I rented it. But I do know that my 2.0 compact, I shoot it pretty darn well. But I'm sure the grip angle and everything like that on the Glock is got a learning curve. Any thoughts comments and opinions are extremely welcome thank you.

RE : Glocks

Well for me.....just moving from the original grips of the first generation to the later generations was enough.

Yeah, now a days.....I've been sticking to my BHP.

Aloha, Mark

A million years ago I added one of the aftermarket pin on beavertails to my 19, flattens out the backstrap...it fixed all my "glock shooting issues".

Stock ones have always felt like they pointed high for me and I had to conciously aim low...

I don't know if it's possible or not, but just curious if it is possible to not be able to shoot a Glock well at all ever. I struggled mightily today at the range with my 43X and a rented 48. That being said, I also struggled with the shield plus, which I shot really good the last time I rented it. But I do know that my 2.0 compact, I shoot it pretty darn well. But I'm sure the grip angle and everything like that on the Glock is got a learning curve. Any thoughts comments and opinions are extremely welcome thank you.
Have you tried one with aftermarket sights? Some people just can't seem to shoot well with the factory Glock sights.

The Shield I always shoot poorly the first few rounds until I remember how to hold that tiny grip. Probably because I don't shoot them very often - don't own one.

2.0 compact is a great gun. I shot mine well and my 43x was almost 'too thin'. Put on a Uncle Mike's grip to thicken it up a little and it shoots like a dream.

I do not currently own a Glock but I once had a 1st gen G 17 that I shot well.

Many years later a friend bought a G 36 (i think that was the mod #) the compact .45 acp version and it was literally one of the worst guns I have ever shot.

I believe one of the biggest problems with Glocks in general is the inability to change grips ( on some that is) and possibly other parts that might improve the ergonomics. I also discovered I as time went on I was liking the grip angle less and less, but yours, and others, YMMV.

Have you tried one with aftermarket sights? Some people just can't seem to shoot well with the factory Glock sights.

The Shield I always shoot poorly the first few rounds until I remember how to hold that tiny grip. Probably because I don't shoot them very often - don't own one.
I've got Trijicon's on my 43X. I want to enjoy shooting Glocks and shoot them well. Just struggling mightily.

The target on the left is all my optic ready 2.0. Except for a few out of my 43X. The one on the right is all my 43X and rented 48.

IMG_3464.jpeg IMG_3463.jpeg

Years ago while attending a Glock Operator course, the Instructor (Former SEAL Master Chief), mentioned that the Glock is "Tremendously susceptible to sideward trigger pressure". If the trigger is "pulled" or "pushed" at a sideward angle during the trigger squeeze process, the shot(s) will go either left or right of the intended POI. Coupled with the body "bracing for impact" by tightening up (anticipating recoil) will then add a low left, or low right POI.

Create the best, most encompassing two hand grip you can (building that grip starting with trigger finger placement on the trigger), and press the trigger straight to the rear, bending the trigger finger at the second joint.

Dry fire helps, and at the risk of oversimplification- Learn to press the trigger WITHOUT moving the weapon.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

WMB

Years ago while attending a Glock Operator course, the Instructor (Former SEAL Master Chief), mentioned that the Glock is "Tremendously susceptible to sideward trigger pressure". If the trigger is "pulled" or "pushed" at a sideward angle during the trigger squeeze process, the shot(s) will go either left or right of the intended POI. Coupled with the body "bracing for impact" by tightening up (anticipating recoil) will then add a low left, or low right POI.

Create the best, most encompassing two hand grip you can (building that grip starting with trigger finger placement on the trigger), and press the trigger straight to the rear, bending the trigger finger at the second joint.

Dry fire helps, and at the risk of oversimplification- Learn to press the trigger WITHOUT moving the weapon.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

WMB
Yes, thank you for the wealth of information. I greatly appreciate it. I know when I shoot Glocks it just feels very unnatural in my hand and the squeezing the trigger whereas in the M&P's it's extremely comfortable. You know as I've heard many times shoot what works best for you what you're confident with what you're comfortable with and what you shoot well. I guess at times I feel like I'm missing the boat not shooting Glocks well. I know it's not the gun maybe it is but I know the majority of it is me. I'm pretty certain I have a lot of flaws when I shoot in my form. I'm going to take some formal training classes to see if we can't pin those down and help alleviate some of them.

+1 for formal training! Do your due diligence regarding Instructor/school choice (this must be said). With a competent Instructor, I can just about guarantee you will get far more out of the instruction than you bargained for.

Remember- Perfection is a path, not a destination.

WMB

My guess is it's a grip issue. I shoot a 19 or 19x (or Sig 226) capably. My Glock 48 mos less so. Difference appears to be primarily the narrower grip on the 48. I'd focus on that and see if it makes any difference.

Tip: Try holding the gun sideways one handed, make sure to push it forward as you squeeze. Dont worry about the sights, aim for just firing it as fast as possible. Example below.

side.png

But seriously, going from the G22 to the 43x took some range time, For me tightening up on the grip and consciously pressing as straight backward as possible helped my low right. I also wear bi-focal glasses (astigmatism) so I had to find the right sweet spot in order to focus on the front sight. Took some time.

It usually takes me a bit to get used to a different gun.

My own personal experience is "grip is everything". (I know ... I know ... here I go again.)

How you grip a semi-auto pistol is EVERYTHING regarding ability to control the firearm and be accurate.

Getting a firearm with the perfect grip angle, or grip texture or whatever - it really doesn't matter.

Take a look at Mike Seeklander's or Rob Letham's vids on how to grip a semi-auto pistol. When you correctly place your shooting and support hands on the grip and squeeze a semi-auto grip as hard as you can, grip texture, angle and even length of the grip, become irrelevant for all intents and purposes.

My 2 cents.

TWYLALTR

Cheers

Additional thought:

Now - if I want to ENJOY shooting a semi-auto pistol at the range for fun, then grip angle and texture and size DOES impact my enjoyment. I love shooting my 1911's because of the 18 degree grip angle (versus the 22 degree angle of a Glock - and I am a Glock fanboy).

But for basic ability to use a pistol effectively and accurately (e.g., self-defense) - I can effectively adapt to pretty much any firearm because of the method of gripping a semi-auto pistol I use.

Cheers.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR