JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
also i kind of agree i have been practicing the draw and slide and have got really fast at it. i dont picture a old western shoot out if someone coming in my house i have time to rack if someone is robbing a store and i try to be a hero i can rack if someone attacks my friends and i without a gun i have time to rack. only situation is if someone put a gun to my head and i wanted to draw fast and shoot him but the odds of that are pretty rare it can happen but rare. please dont tear me to shreds for this like i said new and may have the wrong mindset let me know if im wrong

a couple other scenrios to consider - what if you ended up in a scuffle and you had one hand broken, stabbed or otherwise incapacitated? (Probably unlikely to happen if you're 6'4 and 250!)
What if you were out fishing and were jumped by a big cat, or attacked by a dog (and you surrendered your weak arm to the bite)

It's good to ask the questions. Nobody should be tearing into anyone for choosing not to carry chambered. It's a personal choice.

6,4 250 big guy. Jeans and undershirt and shirt basically every day and just work which is real calm walking or sitting and i fish alot thats about all i do. i was loking at the supertuck deluxe

I think the most important factor with any holster, especially regarding carrying chambered is getting a holster designed for the specific handgun, with protection for the trigger, that secures the gun in the holster.
I don't mean with a thumb strap or anything, but a well made holster will almost lock the gun in place.

When you carry chambered the most dangerous time is probably reholstering.

see the big cat situation is likely for me i hike alot in b.f.e but even then i figure i would see and have time to slide and if i get randomly pounced on im kinda screwed either way but when i hike i carry owb and i do have one in the chamber not of fan of iwb and chambered.

I'm no self defense expert, but the idea that "the sound" of racking a gun will scare a BG never makes sense to me. I want the element of surprise.

If I'm sitting in a Burger King and some guy comes in and starts shooting the place up (It's happened) I don't want him to see or hear me draw. Maybe he'll hear the bang bang if he lives that long.

The same goes in my house with any gun including a shotgun. I still want the element of surprise rather than to give away my position by possibly "scaring" some drugged up nut with the sound of a gun being racked.

I'm leaning toward handguns now that don't have a safety other than the trigger pull and maybe a backstrap. Heck, cops carried DA revolvers that way for many decades. Why not an auto?

$.02 and not worth what you paid.

If someone feels that uncomfortable carrying a loaded firearm they have no business carrying a firearm. I dont want someone that incompetent handling a loaded gun.

Hit the nail on the head there:s0155:
Glock 23, hot, ALLWASE. If there is not one in the chamber, it is just an inadequate club.

Glock 19 and Glock 21, always chambered before leaving the house.
Sam egoes for Kimber full size, and Kimber pro carry, chambered, cocked and locked.

It's like putting your shoes on, but not tying them. Why carry a gun, that you have to chamber a round before you shoot...??? You potentially may need to use it one handed, on the go, in the dark, in the rain, uphill in, in a hurricane. When I draw, I'm ready to go.

it takes .00000002 to rack im my mind if your in burger king and a guy shoots up the place you are gonna be nelt down and you can pull rack and shoot. rack and shoot will be the same motion.

Sorry, but that is quite the exaggeration there for a topic such as this. I would be willing to bet that you would be hard pressed to rack the slide under stress with your adrenaline pumping and your hands half numb from the situation you find your self in to NEED your defensive weapon ready to fire in under a second. Not trying to start a fight, just trying to put it into prospective. You also make the assumption that you will ALWASE have both hands free to do so in said situation. It is a personal choice thing, and I chose not to gamble my life on those odds;)

Sorry, but that is quite the exaggeration there for a topic such as this. I would be willing to bet that you would be hard pressed to rack the slide under stress with your adrenaline pumping and your hands half numb from the situation you find your self in to NEED your defensive weapon ready to fire in under a second. Not trying to start a fight, just trying to put it into prospective. You also make the assumption that you will ALWASE have both hands free to do so in said situation. It is a personal choice thing, and I chose not to gamble my life on those odds;)

if something has already happened to were you cant use your other hand good luck reaching iwb point and shoot when somebodys obviously already on top of you not saying impossible but hard just like racking slide and if your gonna shoot him as he is walking away or when he backs off then i could get the gun to my other hand to rack the slide. Also one in chamber i feel like in a man on man brawl it could possibly get used against you if it was exposed.

This is a question that I thought quite a bit about until I was told by an Oregon attorney who is an expert in firearm law of a case here in the state where a man was in a situation that he felt very threatened in, he did not have a round in the chamber and put a round in the chamber. The situation de-escalated as police arrived and he was charged and convicted of menacing due to chambering a round.

Now I always cary with a round in the chamber.

Did he put a round in then shoot if not i understand cus then he didnt really feel his life was threatened and shouldnt have pulled the firearm to begin with so that would be menacing.. so one in the chamber being the cause for him being guilty is not true he is guilty cus he pulling ur gun and not shooting is a threat ( in the eyes of the law) and chambering and not shooting is even more of a threat (also in the eyes of the law not myself). If he did shoot that means he did feel his life was threatened and wouldnt be getting menacing

There are times when I'm wearing pants where my crossbreed IWB holster doesn't fit (I currently need to lay off the lunch burritos) so I carry my Glock 30SF in my waistband unchambered. The tight pants keep it SNUG. Otherwise, 95% of the time it's holstered IWB condition one ready to go. Plus the act of clearing the weapon each time I need to carry unchambered provides a good opportunity to practice safe handling techniques for loading and unloading.

Did he put a round in then shoot if not i understand cus then he didnt really feel his life was threatened and shouldnt have pulled the firearm to begin with so that would be menacing.. so one in the chamber being the cause for him being guilty is not true he is guilty cus he pulling ur gun and not shooting is a threat ( in the eyes of the law) and chambering and not shooting is even more of a threat (also in the eyes of the law not myself). If he did shoot that means he did feel his life was threatened and wouldnt be getting menacing

He didn't shoot. Part of his problem was he made a decision to draw before he made a decision to shoot, according to the attorney it wasn't drawing that was the menacing, cycling the round was. If he had a round in the chamber and drawn he would not have been in any trouble.

He didn't shoot. Part of his problem was he made a decision to draw before he made a decision to shoot, according to the attorney it wasn't drawing that was the menacing, cycling the round was. If he had a round in the chamber and drawn he would not have been in any trouble.

SEE thats my point in that case i agree all of us are smart enough to know dont pull unless u intend on shooting so even going around unchambered were not risking geting menacing cus if we did pull and chamber we would shoot. not shooting what made it menacing not chambering had he shot would have changed the police and courts view on him and the scenario

ohsocountry1 I did not intend for this thread to be a debate but your opinion is welcome. Carry anyway you want to it's none of my business whether or not you keep a round chambered. The reason I always have a round chambered is because it does take time to chamber a round and that's time you may or may not have in a grave situation. I personally feel it is also much more difficult to get an accurate shot off when you have to draw, rack, aim, fire as opposed to draw, aim, fire. The racking throws you completely off and it's slow, and I think that is all everybody else is trying to communicate to you. We personally believe that your defensive ability suffers greatly by carrying otherwise.

Was it you that had a safety concern around your kids and that being another reason you carry with an empty chamber? Yeah I don't really get you there either and I have 4 kids and always carry, even around the house. My kids know safe gun handling and not to mess with them. I further more maintain positive control over all firearms in my house. All accidents are preventable. Accidents happen when people get complacent. Gun's don't cause gun accidents, careless owners do.

i dont have kids i said i have neice that has absolutly no gun experience and is to young and not enough time around me to learn . So her around her it does make me nervous.
also doesnt it take a debate to make a conclusion on the best way to do something?
I thought the point was to get multiple opinions on a topic from people of all ages and situations in life and go threw them to find out the best of the answers or the over all concesses of the group.
I apologize if im coming across angry or anything not my intent just thought that was the point.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews