JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
there will only be legal problems if you call the police. If you wound/kill the intruder and drag him out into the street and leave him maybe the road kill/sanitation folks will pick him up.

So, from all I have read it appears to me that it is dangerous to CARRY a gun in Oregon since even in a justified self defense scenario,if you use deadly force you are likely to wind up having to defend yourself in both a criminal and civil proceeding, thereby bankrupting most of us.

Unlike Florida, for example, the Castle Doctrine does not appear to provide any immunity from suit in Oregon.

Burt, I never leave my house or car unlocked. What about an intrusion in the middle of the night? I wake up to find intruders who broke into my house. I have no idea of what they intend. Steal stuff, rape my wife, kill us??? Can I use deadly force? That is my question.

Does anyone have a direct answer to this?

Better be careful... Police Fatally Shoot Grandfather, 72, While Searching the Wrong Home for Burglar, Blame ?Poor Lighting? | Video | TheBlaze.com

"Police in Fort Worth, Texas, are blaming "poor lighting" after two officers went to the wrong home in search of a possible burglar and ended up shooting a 72-year-old man dead in his garage.

The two officers, B.B Hanlon and Arpie Hoeppner, were searching around the home with their flashlights when Waller emerged from his home armed with a handgun, investigating who was walking around his property with flashlights.

"The guy came out with a gun and wouldn't put the gun down,' Officer Hanlon said. ‘He pointed it at Hoeppner, Hoeppner fired," Hanlon said.

Both of the officers claim they identified themselves as police officers and told Waller to drop his firearm. They claim he instead lifted his firearm and pointed it at them. The police department is claiming the man was shot in self-defense.

However, Waller's widow, Kathy, told NBC DFW that she was "disgusted" with the "trigger happy" officers." She said her slain husband grabbed his .38-cal. handgun after seeing lights outside their bedroom and reported hearing yelling moments before Waller was shot dead.

Further, the man's daughter, Angie, said she was "disturbed by suggestions that police may have felt threatened by a man in his own garage faced with unknown trespassers yielding flashlights."

Waller's family is calling for an independent investigation into the incident. The family has also accused the police department of "misrepresenting details of the incident" in media interviews."

No doubt about it. Nobody here will disagree with you. But it only takes one whiney *** prosecutor to make the case that you leaving your door unlocked was like an open invitation. Some of these people are scumbags.

Hmmm, sort of like if a woman dresses in a provocative manner it was an open invitation to rape so therefore she deserved it?. Give me a friggin break! Scum ends up in my house uninvited, Locked or Not hes gettin Shot! Period!.

Only two things should come out of your mouth:
"They were going to kill me"
"I want to speak to a lawyer"

===========
When you get out of jail go see a shrink, pastor or priest to show your remorse and how traumatic this event has been on you.
===========
Yeah sure, then they will say you are depressed and take your gun rights.
Just say dammit why didn't someone else do that to him before he got to me .................:confused: :rolleyes:

So, from all I have read it appears to me that it is dangerous to CARRY a gun in Oregon since even in a justified self defense scenario,if you use deadly force you are likely to wind up having to defend yourself in both a criminal and civil proceeding, thereby bankrupting most of us.

Unlike Florida, for example, the Castle Doctrine does not appear to provide any immunity from suit in Oregon.

yea im from florida also and i can say you are looking at a totally different beast here in oregon. these people are all for letting the bad guy get the first shot in. for some reason legislators feel like the criminal should get a sporting chance when they pull a weapon out.

A sleeping family, broken window/door, 3am and a dead man with a balaclava on the living room floor speaks for itself and no jury would hang you unless you gave them good reason to.

That is probably correct, but my point is that in Oregon, unlike many others states, I will likely have to deal with defending myself in a criminal prosecution, even in a case of a home invasion in the middle of the night and a clear case of self defense.

Since 1,000 cases like this have 1,000 different outcomes, whether you would spend one night or the rest of your life in prison is up in the air. The exact same situation can happen in the same state, one guy gets off an a justifiable homicide and the other goes to prison for manslaughter.

Either way, the aforementioned guy in the balaclava is going to be dead on my floor. Whether I am martyred for it or not, my wife and son will go on with the rest of their lives.

When you have a split second to react, don't get hung up on the names Al Sharpton will call you. Just remember, front sight, press. Front sight, press.

Just a side note, the advice above was in regards to business and office building robbery and not to home invasions. I'm not saying it is correct, but it does give some better perspective.

Have any specific case citations for that scenario?
The deal is, many people walk into unlocked houses and make a sammich and or whatnot every single day. They may even cut your throat though so maybe lock your door (golly!).
Per se, they haven't "trespassed" until you tell them they are not welcome/to leave and or it's posted. And that is not a life or death situation, just so you know. That's a little different than a smithereened front door.. kinda speaks for itself to lock your doors.
It's up to you though to understand particulars and if you can't understand the value of a locked door, as always, you're on your own.

The deal is, many people walk into unlocked houses and make a sammich and or whatnot every single day. They may even cut your throat though so maybe lock your door (golly!).
Per se, they haven't "trespassed" until you tell them they are not welcome/to leave and or it's posted. And that is not a life or death situation, just so you know. That's a little different than a smithereened front door.. kinda speaks for itself to lock your doors.
It's up to you though to understand particulars and if you can't understand the value of a locked door, as always, you're on your own.

Lessons unknowingly taught by LE, ANY situation CAN become "interpreted" as a life or death situation ! ! ! When it's for a CYA
Purpose.

Just a side note, the advice above was in regards to business and office building robbery and not to home invasions. I'm not saying it is correct, but it does give some better perspective.

actually it was general advice on robberies, not for businesses. i have heard that given as advice for clerks and such but never homes. my grandmother didnt take that advice though. she was a career convenience store manager when one day a would be thug came in with a big *** knife. she told me that when she saw them coming she went around the counter to try and lock the door but they were too fast, so the plan B was open a can, which was successful :s0155:. she got stabbed in the back very first thing but managed to body slam the person and get some punches in before they ran like hell. she told me after she woke up from the operation to get the knife removed, the cops came in fresh from watching the tape and laughing at what happened. if you saw her, you would too. she is a short round woman that was pulling some professional wrestling moves on a big black dude. i would hate to be the guy in prison who is know for getting his *** beat by a little old lady in her late 50s :s0114:.

just so you know the knife wound was deep enough to puncture her lung but she went through a complete recovery with no problems stemming from the injury.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top