JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, I've been looking through the site the last few days and thought I'd see if I could get some recommendations on what kind of handgun to get. Price range is about 600 bucks, and I'd like the possibility of carrying concealed. I was looking at Sportsmans and they had some cool stuff, saw a Beretta 92FS for 550. Thanks in advance.

Full size hand guns (like the beretta) are hard to conseal under some clothing. I'd look for some thing smaller (sub compact or compact). Also kind of depends on what caliber your looking to start off with. 9mm is very popular for cc, I have a Ruger p89 that I carry every once in awhile, Great gun, it's just alittle harder to conseal than my Ruger LCP. As for "Sportsmans" to buy a gun, most of the time they are way over priced... I love Guncrafters (since your in Salem), everyone there is extremely knowledgeable and they aren't overly priced on most of there stuff. ~Just my .02~ Goodluck with your search for your first hand gun! :s0155:

You've left it wide open. There are a LOT of guns to be had for under $600, specially if you are looking at used as well. How large of a gun do you consider "concealable"? Some folks on here C.C. full sized 1911's, where others think little Kahr's are just right. What else are you planning on doing with the gun? Lot's of range time? Home defense? Hunting? Do you have a preference on caliber? If I where going to get MY first handgun right now, I'd probably get a Springfield XD(m) in .40. Not real concealable, but a good shooter with high capacity and nice ergonomics. Plus it would give me a reason to buy a smaller C.C later.:winkkiss:

You might check out DanDee Sales on this sight, it looks like they have some good prices going on Springfield's right now.

the best thing you can do i find a pistol that feels good in your hand. Another good thing to do is ask friends that have pistols if you can try them out, you could also go to a place that allows you to test pistols. The 2 i know of are "a Place to shoot and the Clackamas county PSTC (Public Safety Training Center)".

Get a Glock?

Other than the crappy finger bumpers that should have been left to the Hogue hand all like the old schoolers who wanted such bumps used for Gen 1 and Gen 2 Glocks, but could also change back--and the perpetually strange hump in the back strap--and the beyond weird grip angle--and the annoyingly unrelieved area between the top of the front strap and the bottom of the oh so 1980s squared off trigger guard--and the over square profile of the slide making it more difficult than necessary to conceal, and the thicker than necessary polymer clad steel magazine bodies--released by a stupidly sharp and squared off mag release catch that is only made for right hand use until the Generation 4 pistols, which have very sketchy early reports as to reliability--they're mostly adequate pistols in 9mm. Other calibers don't really live up to the even that minor legend, but especially any .40 hanging anything off of the rail, the 21, and the 36.

"Limp wristing" wasn't even a widely known shooting term for a particular type of jam until the advent of Glock. No ordinary shooter using a 1911, BHP, SIG 22x, Beretta 92, first or second generation Smith auto, or any other duty sized auto pistol that predated the Glock likely even knew what "limp wristing" might be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9JhCyFFxA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsewsolPyBU&NR=1

You should only use a Glock if you are forced to. It's a horrible first handgun, last handgun. only handgun, etcetera.:s0112:

9mm is an easy caliber to start with. Lots of options for handguns. Ammo is still widely available. Good self defense round.

Some people like the simplicity of revolvers as starter handguns. Get a 357/38spl revolver, short barrel. Start shooting 38 special in it to get used to it.

two words: Not Glock

If I had $600.00 to spend on a carry gun it would be a xd9 ($425) and 2 or 3 good holsters

or if you find you want a metal frame gun with a hammer you could pick up a SIG p225/p6 used for aroud 400 and get holsters and extra mags

most will tell you to find a gun that feels good in you're hand but for a carry gun I would say that there are many more considerations .... do your homework

good luck,
Buick

My vote is for the

1) SIG P228 or P229
you can find them used Certified Pre-Owned for 600 or private sale for 500-550
I bought a new P228 with rail for $747.50

2) new Springfield XD9 sub-compact
around $500

3) used HK USP compact 9
About $575 depending on condition and what you get with it

I love my SIG I had a W. German P226 prior to my P228 and loved it in DA/SA. For a pistol in general I suggest the P226 and the 228/9 is the largest I would conceal carry. Personally I don't like polymer without hammers. I've tried out glocks I don't like their erogonomics I perfer the springfield XD's. I'm also not a fan of double action only. But whatever you get just keep in mind there will be haters and there will be lovers and as long as YOU are happy don't mind the haters.

It sounds like you may not have much trigger time. The first thing you need is proper training. You can get a good gun for $600 but without training, it won't mean much. Many people go at it backwards where they get the gun and then get the training and find their gun while good doesn't really work well for them. You can try different handguns at ranges to see what works for you. As they say: "Try before you buy."

As for Glock pistols, I think people confuse a pistol that is easy to learn on with something that is ideal for a beginning shooter to carry. Glock makes some good pistols but they lack real conventional safeties (the one on the trigger should not count). I am not saying a new shooter can't get out of the gate with a Glock and do well carrying it safely. They can and do. The issue is that by lacking conventional safeties and requiring a person to pull the trigger as part of the field stripping process, the pistol has no room for error and that makes it something that is not a beginner's gun. -Heaven help you if you try carrying it concealed without a proper holster. It's very easy for clothing to snag the trigger and have a negligent discharge.

If you want to carry concealed, you have to dress around the gun. Full size pistols can be concealed but are more difficult than smaller models. One of the biggest issues for concealment (especially since many use IWB holsters) is thickness. The Beretta 92 is a big, thick pistol. I learned to shoot pistols with a Beretta 92/M9. I have thousands of rounds through the gun and it would not be my first choice to carry concealed.

9mm is an easy caliber to start with. Lots of options for handguns. Ammo is still widely available. Good self defense round.

Some people like the simplicity of revolvers as starter handguns. Get a 357/38spl revolver, short barrel. Start shooting 38 special in it to get used to it.

I agree completely with the .357 idea. Get a medium frame, with a 4" barrel. This will be small enough to conceal, and powerful enough to take care of any serious situation. And .38's make a great practice round. Shoot this until you've fired a nice selection of autos,and figured out what type of auto will serve you best. Then when you start carrying a Glock, Beretta, or whatever, retire the .357 to the sock drawer as a home defense/target handgun. Or, like a few of us, you might decide the .357 Magnum is the top choice for your own self defense needs.

I would also suggest saving some money to go a basic pistols class.

Read the Book "The Truth About Self Protection"

Once you own a pistol if you can join a range and try to shoot at least once a week for the first 6 months even if all you can afford to shoot per range visit is 50 rounds. Keeping the knowledge "fresh" and beat safety into your good shooting habits.

the best thing you can do i find a pistol that feels good in your hand. Another good thing to do is ask friends that have pistols if you can try them out, you could also go to a place that allows you to test pistols. The 2 i know of are "a Place to shoot and the Clackamas county PSTC (Public Safety Training Center)".

What he said.

Also, I'd recommend getting a FS and lots of practice/training. They are easier to learn on than a compact. Then, buy a compact for CC. I'm not a big fan of people without good proficiency carrying a pistol around. (In fact, I don't carry yet...I've a set of standards I want to get to before doing so). That's just me though. I just went to the Clackamas PSTC and it was great, fairly inexpensive too.

My 2 cents. I was trained on a 92fs. its a great pistol, never jams, easy to clean, safe to cary in a ready position, and 15 round factory mag. I dont go around with it though. It is a tad heavy and large for that purpose. I got mine from www.budsgunshop.com. add 50 dollars to the price for your local ffl.

If you are getting a semi-auto buy a good one. Hi cap mags are great but jams at the wrong time are not. Also, I would suggest you stick with a lower cal. I put more stock in putting lead on target than large lead. A 9mm slug to a protected chest will put a bad guy down, if you want to finish off the bad guy later you will have that option.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I can agree with the fact that the 92FS is a bit big and heavy for CC. I've just always liked that gun. I still need to check out Ole's and places that let you rent and shoot would be great too. Unfortunatly, my dad is the only person who I know that owns guns and I've shot them a bunch. The XD or a Glock seem to be pretty popular here, my only issue was the Glocks I handled at Sportsmans had this pattern on the grip that was uncomfortable. Thanks again for the help.

I just bought a Taurus 617 this last weekend for CC. Its 38/357 and 7 shot. I got it in blue so that it doesnt bring any extra attention just in case it slips a little and shows and after carrying it all day today I cant be happier with it. cost me about 400 with the uncle mikes holster that i bought.

Some people think Taurus is a cheap crappy brand but i fired 150 38 special round and 100 357 rounds through it sunday and didnt have a single issue. well...besides the fact that its a 2 inch barrel with 357. :)

I have a 92FS and I love it. I've bought and sold a few pistols and that's one I will keep, However, it is not a concealed carry gun. Way too big.

If you can find the extra scratch I would go with a SIg P229 or something. Great gun, small enough to conceal and you won't be disappointed.
Glocks are good and easy to conceal. People either love them or hate them.
I had one......Notice I said had. But they are great guns.

Check out Kieth's in Gresham off Powell great seletion of used guns. I wouldn'y hesitate to buy a used Glock or Sig.
I would try to shoot it before you buy. Find someone on here that has one your looking at or go to Clackamas County Sheriffs range on Sunnybrook or A Place to Shoot in Jantzen Beach they let you rent guns.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top