JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
XDm-9 or Sig 229

But everyone is right about shoot before you buy. Any gun could be the wrong gun if it's not right for your hand. I would go with a 9mm because it can still be used as a defensive round but also cheap enough to shoot a lot.

I would suggest to take some of that money and shoot a variety of wheel guns and semi auto's at a indoor range. I think you will learn quickly for yourself what you do and do not like. Just my two cents and best of all it's great fun and I find the people very helpful.

My first gun was a 1911, for that I'm grateful. I'm glad they didn't have glocks back then. I feel sorry for people who grew up in a world of plastic guns.

Buy a classic big bore all steel gun, keep it for a lifetime, you will not be sorry.

The largest bullet you can fire and not be scared by, shoot it until it feels natural and never give in to any fear of powerful rounds within reason.

Once you get used to a .45 ACP you will wonder how people can say it recoils too much. :)

For first or single gun, consider a .357 mag. revolver. Easy manual of arms, sufficient cartridge and versatile gun. Get an auto later if you feel you need or want it.
Ergonomics should be first consideration. Try before you buy if possible.

I agree on a .357 revolver as a 1st handgun. I bought a S&W586 4" as it will provide a strong weapon for out in the forest as well as home defense. Now I added a Stoeger Cougar 8000 9mm. The Cougar just fits my hand and has 15 round mag. Both of these guns have some weight to them. The weight helps with recoil and balance for sighting in on the target. Either one can be bought for less than $400.00

I myself carry a Springfield XD40 subcompact and highly recommend them. They can be a bit uncofortable to carry inside the waistband,but loosein' the belt a notch and investing in a custom holster solve the problem. Glock 23 is also a fine choice,they'er a bit slimmer but can be more expensive depending where you go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top