JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone had any bad purchases or lemons from recent trades of purchases etc?

Lately I had two faults,

1: A S&W M&P Shield 45ACP

The gun felt and handled fine however, upon firing only under 100rnds the magazine would keep dropping out of the catch. Tried to adjust my hands and grip to ensure I wasn't possibly bumping it but no. The kick of the 45 kept knocking it out and even so when tilted sideways to be completely free of the mag release button.

Had to return it to S&W and hope they can fix that problem

2: A SIG P320 Compact 45ACP

While this pistol felt perfect and was way more accurate than I was and had a very nice trigger (sounds to good to be true eh?). Here is the problem, while shooting up at wolf creek I encountered the most bizarre malfunction i've seen in my handling time. While shooting I felt the upper slide kind of do a light recoil. Instantly could tell something was wrong, figured maybe bad batch of ammo? checked and the magazine was still inserted. Low and behold the culprit being that the guide rod/spring assembly had completely some how wiggled its way out about half way while firing. This was under 300rounds. WTF?!

Let down again I returned this piece back to SIG hopeful for a fix.

Anyone else had bad luck/experiences?

Most recent was with my Beretta .32. It was bought used a while back but looked like the owner before me had never fired it. Few weeks back took it as it had been sitting for a long while. Second mag all of a sudden barrel pops up. The tip up release was gone. Looking around I was amazingly able to find it. Easy to see it had broken and flew out of the pistol. So I get home look at the Web site, they direct me to Brownells. Brownells stocks the part but on back order so I did. Thought well damn that pistol is out for a while. Then as an after thought checked ebay and damned if there was not a couple of them there for sale. Bought one and slapped it in and little gun is fine again.
While back it was my Ruger MKIII. Cleaned it and when it went back together it locked up and was a paper weight. Would not come apart again and could not be used. Even took that one to a Smith and he said "Send it back". It was right after the MKIV had hit so I waited till I could get one. Then called Ruger to see if I could get an RMA from them. Some Gal there walked me through how to fix it over the phone. She said she spends a lot of time doing this for owners :)
Now I tend to try to just clean it with spray as I don't want to take it apart again :)

My Sig's have been gtg. That's odd with two good manufacturers you had trouble. I bet they both fix your pistols so it won't happen again. Keep us posted, I always like hearing how people get treated.

Bought a used Argentine High Power at the PDX show a million years ago. Got to the range to try it out, pulled trigger, bang. Pulled trigger again and braaaaaap!...dumped the mag. Sold it for parts....

Had a Century Golani that had two different POIs depending on which side of the mag it fed from. One to the left of center, one right. Sold it for parts.

Had a Sig 556 that would not feed, carrier would bind up in the receiver....Sig wouldn't help me because I wasn't the original purchaser ( which I get, but still sucked ) Sold it at a loss with full disclosure.

Few more I'm sure, but I've been through a few in the past 20 years.

My Sig's have been gtg. That's odd with two good manufacturers you had trouble. I bet they both fix your pistols so it won't happen again. Keep us posted, I always like hearing how people get treated.

This is the "norm" here. No matter how great a gun there is just no such thing as a mass manufactured one that never lets out a problem. Many have a real good reputation because it's rare but somewhere someone bought one, got to the range, and found problems. Then to me the most important thing is how does the company stand behind the product and treat the customer. Some shine at this. Others sadly earn a reputation of saying, "hey we got your money, screw you."

Will do.

I kind of made this thread with explaining the wtf moments that you cannot seem to find easily online without digging thru countless forums in obscure places or sifting thru countless youtube vids.

Will report back in maybe 6 - 8 weeks which is what the LGS told me likely to be.

As a matter of fact, yes, a few new ones have been a problem, albeit a minority. The ones that come to mind:
  • AO M1 Carbine. Sometimes ran fine, but it was plagued with reliability issues. Two trips back to the factory to try to fix reliability problems and we had enough and dumped it. This may have been a rare lemon, but I won't bother with AO ever again. (We considering going with a GI M1 Carbine replacement or going something totally different, but that is another story.)
  • Last silencer purchase was a 556-SD that broke the latch on the second outing. The repair was easy and it has run fine on two different rifles since, though, so it must have been a fluke.
  • Cimarron Lightning that failed on cartridge numero uno. It runs fine now, but the return for the repair was a complete pantload, largely thanks to UPS' incompetence, but also some with the manufacturer.
Pretty much every used gun I've obtained in recent memory (PPK/S, Enfield No. 2, etc.) has run flawlessly. Ditto ones I've built or, rather, heavily modified into a different configuration. And some of the other new ones (e.g., S&W Model 29, the better half's LCP Ⅱ, etc.) have been fine.

(shrug) Having a firearm or any piece of equipment not work is always annoying, but such is life.

Anyone had any bad purchases or lemons from recent trades of purchases etc?

Lately I had two faults,

1: A S&W M&P Shield 45ACP

The gun felt and handled fine however, upon firing only under 100rnds the magazine would keep dropping out of the catch. Tried to adjust my hands and grip to ensure I wasn't possibly bumping it but no. The kick of the 45 kept knocking it out and even so when tilted sideways to be completely free of the mag release button.

Had to return it to S&W and hope they can fix that problem

2: A SIG P320 Compact 45ACP

While this pistol felt perfect and was way more accurate than I was and had a very nice trigger (sounds to good to be true eh?). Here is the problem, while shooting up at wolf creek I encountered the most bizarre malfunction i've seen in my handling time. While shooting I felt the upper slide kind of do a light recoil. Instantly could tell something was wrong, figured maybe bad batch of ammo? checked and the magazine was still inserted. Low and behold the culprit being that the guide rod/spring assembly had completely some how wiggled its way out about half way while firing. This was under 300rounds. WTF?!

Let down again I returned this piece back to SIG hopeful for a fix.

Anyone else had bad luck/experiences?

All you should have to do is drop that P320 on the ground and that puppy should fire right off all proper like!

:D

Bought a used Argentine High Power at the PDX show a million years ago. Got to the range to try it out, pulled trigger, bang. Pulled trigger again and braaaaaap!...dumped the mag. Sold it for parts....

You didn't sell it cheap at a Roseburg show did you? I bought one there probably close to 20 years ago. Different malfunction though. I paid $150 because the seller said it had something wrong with it.

It jammed frequently and as I looked closely at it I realized that the spring was too long to allow the slide to fully recoil. I carefully measured and trimmed it, and it's worked perfectly ever since.

I also bought a new Philippine made 1911 a while back, for cheap. Fit and finish looked great until I looked down the bore closely. It looked like the bore throat had been cut with a broken reamer; it was ugly, so bad rounds would hang up going into the chamber. Scary that it got past any QC. I sent it back on their dime and they installed a new barrel, now it shoots great and I'm very happy with it.

Last Edited:
remington r25 in .308. remington doesnt even take their product back to the factory. three trips to two different gunsmiths, and its still not right.. bolt travels over mag.if not that it stovepipes, andfiring from the bench, i cant get a group better than 8 inches at 50 yards

Walther P22. What a pile.

I see a lot of similar reports, so I wonder about quality control. The one we have had* for about ten years has been shot a ton, both suppressed and not, has had nary a hiccup.

* This little one.

p22.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR