JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the raised gardens....how high do I need to make the walls? If possible, I want to get started on that during my next weekend!

It depends a bit on what you plan to grow in the bed. Root veggies need more depth. My beds range from 9" deep to 12". I also saw a plan on line (sorry don't have a link) for making a supplemental frame for potatoes. So maybe your basic raised bed is 9" deep, but part of it is planted in potatoes. As the plants grow and you want to "hill" them, just lay an additional frame on top of the existing bed around the growing potatoes and add more soil as they grow. My add on frame is 2'x4' of 8" wide cedar boards that are 1" thick. Google "raised bed gardening" or "square foot gardening" and you'll find all kinds of help.

Root vegetables do need about 12 to 14 inches of soil. Others pretty much everything happens in the top 8 inches of soil. A good 8 or 10 NON PRESSURE treat board makes good sides. You could use cedar or just fir, the fir will rot eventually, but you will still get good life out of it. If you water too much, and you have poor drainage under that level, the water may back up. I could lay a good top soil mix on top of concrete or asphalt 6 to 8 inches deep, fertilize and water and have a good crop.

For potatoes, I would grow them in a large container. Fill it about 1/3 to 1/2 of soil and plant the seed potatoes. When they start growing, start layering the soil up around the plant stem until you get almost to the top of the container. This will give a good amount of potatoes in the container at harvest time.

It depends a bit on what you plan to grow in the bed. Root veggies need more depth. My beds range from 9" deep to 12". I also saw a plan on line (sorry don't have a link) for making a supplemental frame for potatoes. So maybe your basic raised bed is 9" deep, but part of it is planted in potatoes. As the plants grow and you want to "hill" them, just lay an additional frame on top of the existing bed around the growing potatoes and add more soil as they grow. My add on frame is 2'x4' of 8" wide cedar boards that are 1" thick. Google "raised bed gardening" or "square foot gardening" and you'll find all kinds of help.

Thank you!! Now I can't wait for my weekend to get here!

The "window" for trees and shrubs is also open.

I hope I live long enough to see my fruit trees producing.

The Yamhill County soil and water conservation is selling all types of trees and shrubs through this weekend.

Yamhill Soil & Water Conservation District

They have Western Red Cedar, Hemlock and Nobles for well under a dollar each. If interested, turn West onto 2nd street from 99W, go about a mile and look to the left right before the 4way stop.

I got some materials from the sale and the one Benton County SWCD has also. Great prices, and native material grows fast. I have some great size trees and shrubs after 6 years.

We've already started a half-dozen kinds of greens under greenhouse film, and a few pea varieties under row-cover fabric.
The fava beans are germinated in the Fall, and do fine even when covered in snow. They'll be picked in May.
In a month we'll switch over to all home-grown veggies - well, except for avocados.
1021cc.jpg

1021cc.jpg

Garden season is here. Time to get the plots ready, seeds ordered, early crops started, and seedlings ready to go here soon. Container gardens can be grown on small lots and decks, you can generate a lot of food off a small area.

First turning of the soil here soon. Adding compost as I can afford it. Going to grow more than I can [possibly use so I can give it away or barter.
good post CoastRang57 i am inventorying my seeds this week getting ready.

Oh Ya...Thoughts have shifted to being outside and laying out a garden

I'm in a new place this year so I'm starting all over from scratch again but have a very large area for growing...plus all my side beds around the yard, I'll plant a few flowers and shrubs but mostly edibles...Going over to my old place today to pick up a bunch of planters and pots I plan to use for spices and such

Figure I can grow enough for my self and probably 2 other families

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top