JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
98D7F839-93D3-4671-8DB4-664305032BA4.jpeg In the summer of 2016 my garage wass robbed. They took a lot of stuff.

More troubling was the thieves were going around writing chalk messages on the sidewalk, marking houses. The one posted here is the only one I could find, but they were also writing the make/model of the residents car, so they could tell when nobody was home.

There were tons of these, every time I saw one I would fill up the watering can and wash it away

I know this won't help you and it won't help the 80% of the populace that live in urban/suburban areas, but I have found much less need for security devices since I moved well outside of those areas.

Not that my property is now crime proof, but being in an area that is not regularly visited by people in general, and even less by criminals, plus it being a private road (so strangers prowling around are noticed), decreases the risk such that I am relatively comfortable leaving my doors unlocked when home or even when I visit a neighbor. More than once I have forgotten to lock up at night, including my shop, and never had any problems in the 5+ years living here.

There is something to be said for living out in the boonies - as long as you actually live there (people with vacation homes that are not actually occupied most of the time, do have problems).

Cameras are a good tool, but you also need an alarm system to drive down the time thieves have to go shopping. Simplisafe is an effective, affordable, wireless, 24/7 monitored, easy to install, affordable system you can order online. It's something like $15 a month for 24/7 monitoring, and it dials out over cellular so even if all the utilities are cut off it'll still provide security.

Otherwise, you'll just have a video or photo you can look at over and over as you watch your stuff getting carted off.

Just sayin'. ;)

The guy who invented that system (Simply Safe) did come up with one hell of a great idea. The camera's though now almost all have the ability to be used as an alarm that does not turn in false alarms. As long as you have cell service where you are that is. The system I use can have 8 cameras if I wish. Any or all of them can be set up to notify me of motion. They even have a way to customize the field of detection. So you can set a certain portion of the cameras view to trigger. When it notifies you you can see what it see's on your phone. If it's some critter poking around, you can watch or ignore. If it's some scum looking around and getting tools to break in you call 911 and tell them. These have gotten so cheap and so good I now hear many calls like this. Police told what is happening and a description of who they are looking for. All being relayed to them in real time by the home owner who is not even there. The technology has moved light years as the price has dropped into the basement on this stuff. Right now we have a disabled relative living with us so someone is here 24/7. If she passes or moves into a home I have told Wife I am going to get one of those Simply Safe systems too but, the camera's are something that once you have them you just can't imagine being without. Even have some that work for renters, no holes in walls and such. You can have one alert you if some nosy maintenance person is in your place without you knowing. On the one I can even listen and talk through it. Use it now and then to speak to the Dogs :)

Fun fact - Ipecac syrup is invisible in whiskey. Just don't get the bottles mixed up.

NOT that I would EVER recommend this as now days someone would sue but, friend did this long ago. Buddy had a cheap (crap hole) place and worked nights. Kids (he was assuming kids) would break in now and then. Always seemed to be looking only for cash or booze. So he bought a half gallon of some gut rot liquor. Put a whole box of laxative pills in it and made sure it dissolved well. Set in in the cabinet in the kitchen. Before too long he comes home one morning to find it gone with a window pried open. He had a good laugh picturing some VERY ill kids next day. Nasty hang over and bad case of rumbling crap. At the time I had never even thought of the Ipecac. Another great idea. Now days though I would be damn sure not to ever admit you did it. Some parent would sue for poisoning their snow flake kids who broke into your home :)

NOT that I would EVER recommend this as now days someone would sue but, friend did this long ago. Buddy had a cheap (crap hole) place and worked nights. Kids (he was assuming kids) would break in now and then. Always seemed to be looking only for cash or booze. So he bought a half gallon of some gut rot liquor. Put a whole box of laxative pills in it and made sure it dissolved well. Set in in the cabinet in the kitchen. Before too long he comes home one morning to find it gone with a window pried open. He had a good laugh picturing some VERY ill kids next day. Nasty hang over and bad case of rumbling crap. At the time I had never even thought of the Ipecac. Another great idea. Now days though I would be damn sure not to ever admit you did it. Some parent would sue for poisoning their snow flake kids who broke into your home :)

You misunderstood me - my post was a caution to make sure that nobody got the ipecac bottle mixed up with the whiskey bottle and accidentally mixed them since you wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at the whiskey bottle ;)

Wireless "driveway" monitor...
Search results for: 'driveway alarm'
:D

Edit: read the reviews :s0025:

You have to remember that with Harbor Freight it's like the old line about Earl Schieb. "you pay for Earl Shieb you get Earl Shieb". Another way of saying you can only expect what you pay for to some extent. I still have a couple of those HF alarms in the garage from years back. At the time had a part time job I set my own hours. Middle of the night some scum broke into my car while it was there and I was working. Had to use hearing protection in there so could not hear. When it happened again I finally had to alarm the car with a remote that would vibrate to let me know. I also put a couple of these HF detectors out there. With the unit right in front of me while I was working. I would see the light flash and could go look to see who was out there. Caught some "kids" a couple times out there who of course pretended they were totally innocent when I stepped out to greet them. It did stop them poking around though once they figured out I knew they were out there. If I had it to do now I would use one of the cameras I have at home now but back then it was a cheap solution that worked for that.

That totally sucks dude.

I'll buy you a bottle of whiskey to give you the next time I see you at a clean up or such.

You have to remember that with Harbor Freight it's like the old line about Earl Schieb. "you pay for Earl Shieb you get Earl Shieb". Another way of saying you can only expect what you pay for to some extent. I still have a couple of those HF alarms in the garage from years back. At the time had a part time job I set my own hours. Middle of the night some scum broke into my car while it was there and I was working. Had to use hearing protection in there so could not hear. When it happened again I finally had to alarm the car with a remote that would vibrate to let me know. I also put a couple of these HF detectors out there. With the unit right in front of me while I was working. I would see the light flash and could go look to see who was out there. Caught some "kids" a couple times out there who of course pretended they were totally innocent when I stepped out to greet them. It did stop them poking around though once they figured out I knew they were out there. If I had it to do now I would use one of the cameras I have at home now but back then it was a cheap solution that worked for that.
Search results for: 'driveway alarm'
The reviews say a lot about the quality/function, I have written negative reviews of other things at HF and they post them un-edited.
I use these cheap alarms a lot...
On my MC trailer when parked in a motel parking lot, camper in camp grounds, backyard fence gate, etc.
You can buy multiples that operate on the same frequency (it's on the box) and spread the receivers around the inside of your house.
:D

Last Edited:
Set up one or two of these and your thief will think twice about a return trip:

They are about 5 bux on eBay and you will need some spider wire and shotgun primers. Most of these require you to drill the hole out slightly to 1/4" so the primer will fit.

They'll probably mix the single malt with coke.
That just caused a tear. oh god.

I do have a siren hooked up on the garage now. I'll have to get a drill and a deadbolt soon I guess, and secure that side door better. The main doors are barn door style, and they'll likely end up bolted soon as they don't get much use (like, opened 5 times in 5 years).

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews