JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First time was 5 years ago, not even a year after moving in. We were on a 2 week vacation and they cleaned out the (75 year old, detached) garage of fishing gear, bikes and tools. IMG_20180511_180407.jpg

This time they cleaned off two shelves. One with power tools.

The other of my whisky!!!
$300 in tools
$1000 in whisky, some of which I purchased in Scotland last year

If you see a low-life drinking a fine single-malt, let me know.

Bummer!

?maybe a simple motion detector alarm? Depends if you have cats/mice, or not. I'd think.

-or-If going with a house alarm system (everyone should IMO...), you can get WiFi / remote sensors & such.

Obviously would depend on the distance to the detached, as well as the system type. Not that your "afraid of anything", mind you, just that it's 2018. Times have changed a WHOLE bunch.

Some cameras are pretty easy to set up, some not so much. Some monitored security systems (central station type / by subscription) have them as well.

Shux then there's that "ring" doorbell type deal as well

Or get a digital Game camras you can hide them all over your yard lol if your a hunter you might all ready have . here's a question ?
Is there any thing else in there that is worth stealing because if so these idots will probably come back .they probably just grabbed what they could carry .the first time

At 75 years old, there's not much that I can do without replacing the side and front doors completely, which would also require re-framing the side door as they just don't make 'em this small anymore. The barn-door style front I'll probably end up bolting closed as its use is very limited.

The door is now alarmed with some cheap lil doorchime type thing, but the wife was able to hear it through the house.

Yes, cameras are a better option, and something my wife and I have talked about before. Heck, just two nights ago I sent her a link to another setup. She doesn't think it's in our budget. Perhaps this will change her mind.

Nothing wrong with a cheap door chime thing if it does the job. I bagged 3 hombres that were visiting the country illegally breaking into my barn with a $15 driveway motion detector from Harbor Freight.

Problem is, if it's some homeless trash then making an ID is pretty tough, but not impossible.

Cameras are a good option,
Game cams are a good cheaper option.

Sorry man, that really sucks.

Put another 3-4 hasp locks on that shed

Problem is, if it's some homeless trash then making an ID is pretty tough, but not impossible...

Agreed.

However the goal would be to make it secure enough to not be "easy" as well as "reasonably obvious" a security system is in place (not massively over the top hardened/security). Just enough so that your normal every day dirt bag can notice, and will not want to bother with it.

We have a monitored system (plus non-monitored stuff), we do not use the yard signs. IMO yard signs advertise more towards folks "looking" for folks with those, because perhaps they might have "good stuff" worth some trouble.

We do put the tiny stickers on windows which someone would have to be on the property to see. Those are the dirtbag type folks looking for ease & oppurtinity. Open windows/doors, or to quickly smash a window get in and throw stuff in a bag and get out. IMO the dirtbag folks do not want to deal with it, so move on. The dirtbag type folks are not organized, yet may be armed.

Last Edited:
First time was 5 years ago, not even a year after moving in. We were on a 2 week vacation and they cleaned out the (75 year old, detached) garage of fishing gear, bikes and tools.View attachment 459238

This time they cleaned off two shelves. One with power tools.

The other of my whisky!!!
$300 in tools
$1000 in whisky, some of which I purchased in Scotland last year

If you see a low-life drinking a fine single-malt, let me know.

I really, REALLY hate reading this! What part of PDX are you in?

I was at the yard debris dump a couple of weeks ago and talking to a Hispanic yard guy about his Stihl blower, he said it was new. He had his enclosed trailer broken into right next to his house, and the same type hasp as yours there only a couple steps heavier, was cut/twisted apart just like yours. He'd saved the messed up hasp and showed me.

The problem with PORKLAND is that the police don't really have the staffing or money to go after these pieces of feces. Even on the odd chance they do get them they just let 'em out on bail to hit the streets again.:mad: :mad: But boy-howdy, we got bicycle infrastructure!! And all kind of rusty metal crap they call art. And all different color train/tram lines running all which ways!

Problem is, if it's some homeless trash then making an ID is pretty tough, but not impossible.

Cameras are a good option,
Game cams are a good cheaper option.

Sorry man, that really sucks.

Put another 3-4 hasp locks on that shed
Confucius say :
Hasp lock only keep honest man honest.

Those doors need an inside cross bar with steel strap loops that are through-bolted with carriage bolts.
They would have to ram it with a vehicle to get through.
Finding all that whiskey, they will be back.

[QUOTE="The Nothing, post:

Yes, cameras are a better option, and something my wife and I have talked about before. Heck, just two nights ago I sent her a link to another setup. She doesn't think it's in our budget. Perhaps this will change her mind.[/QUOTE]

Camera system is well worth it. These have gotten so cheap and good these days. One that will record can also be set to use as an alarm to contact you. One with multiple cameras are only a few hundred now. They are one of those things that now that I have one I would never be without. Mine came in real handy again last week. Couple cases of ammo coming UPS. Phone tells me they just delivered. I was thinking strange, dogs and bird normally tell me. Look, nothing. So go to camera check and hour back, nothing. Call UPS, get some call center. After 3d time of him asking me if I looked around outside or talked to neighbors I started to lose temper. Asked him "are your drivers going around in a car doing this?" He paused and said no. I said for 3d time, I have camera's, I checked and no UPS truck has been here in the last hour. They got the driver and he was back within :15 looking to fix his screw up. I have zero doubt that without being able to call them out that they were never even here they would have blown me off. This is one of several times the camera's have saved a delivery of ammo.
As others have said they will be back. After that haul they are going to come back for more.

Last Edited:
Cameras are a good tool, but you also need an alarm system to drive down the time thieves have to go shopping. Simplisafe is an effective, affordable, wireless, 24/7 monitored, easy to install, affordable system you can order online. It's something like $15 a month for 24/7 monitoring, and it dials out over cellular so even if all the utilities are cut off it'll still provide security.

Otherwise, you'll just have a video or photo you can look at over and over as you watch your stuff getting carted off.

Just sayin'. ;)

Before I installed a commercial alarm system in my shop, I came up with a cheap night time alarm that worked rather well.
I installed an outdoor motion sensor light fixture on the inside of the shop and powered it with a three way light switch at the door.
It had two very bright light bulbs, one that worked with the switch in the up position for normal entry and the other light bulb was turned on when the switch was moved to the off position.
I also installed a door bell transformer (120v to 12v) on the same electrical junction box as the security light and it powers a loud alarm buzzer from Radio Shack.

Here's how it worked. When you opened the door at night, you automatically reach for the light switch and turned on the overhead light.
When you leave, you turn the light switch off and since it's a three way switch it then powers up the overhead motion detector.
If a bad guy gains entry, the last thing he's going to do is flip on the light, so the motion detector senses movement and activates the light and buzzer which are on the same circuit. You can also adjust the sensitivity and time length.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top