JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a copy of a thread I posted earlier this week in our supporter section, asking for ideas and feedback on the way we raise money. We're in need of another server upgrade.

I've received a lot of great feedback from supporters, now I'm hoping to get a perspective from those who aren't (or who didn't see the thread) :)

I'll start by saying I really don't like high pressure fundraising efforts (have you seen those Everytown emails??). Due to this we've really backed off our fundraising efforts over the past two years. My goal was to support the site primarily with ad revenue, but those funds only cover a portion of our fairly costs (hosting, admin, development, etc). I'll be using my personal savings to cover our tax bill this year, but I'd like to avoid this situation in the future :D

Right now I'm working on bringing back our quarterly giveaways for Supporting Members, with our first one (hopefully) at the end of January. I'd like to get some feedback from you guys who have contributed and come up with some ways to raise funds via the website without annoying people.

Questions that might encourage conversation:
  • What do you like/dislike about our current supporting member system?
  • What fundraising methods do others use that we might be able to learn from?
  • What would make you donate (if you haven't already)?
  • What would make you not donate (initially or again)?

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the thread about the <broken link removed>.

Any ideas are appreciated!

I was just reading some of the political threads here and was really disappointed to see how many people with over a thousand posts haven't bothered to contribute even a lousy twenty bucks. It's disgraceful.
I would think that if even a quarter of all the members signed up for bronze supporter status you could devote your time to more important things than fundraising.
I consider NWFA a bargain for my contribution. Thanks for making it happen!!

I was just reading some of the political threads here and was really disappointed to see how many people with over a thousand posts haven't bothered to contribute even a lousy twenty bucks. It's disgraceful.
I would think that if even a quarter of all the members signed up for bronze supporter status you could devote your time to more important things than fundraising.
I consider NWFA a bargain for my contribution. Thanks for making it happen!!

Same here, and to be honest, I'm a little concerned. Used to be we'd ask 2-3 times per year and we'd have enough to cover that whole year. We've always relied on member donations to meet expenses, and we've been pulling from our rainy day fund for a while now (one of the reasons there are more ads). I'm hoping these fundraisers will help us cover our expenses and replenish our savings. I've never given two thoughts to offers I get to sell, but I'd do that and walk away before I loaded the site with more ads or went away from the free model.

No one looks WAAAAY, way down here at the bottom of the NWFA world? I know I don't usually....And I miss stuff. I like it better when it was at the top.

You're absolutely right. It seems the community was much more engaged with the day to day when it was up top. This site has always focused on the community of firearm owners in the Northwest, so it makes sense that it should be at the top. I'm going to move it back up there now.

Joe,

I'd still like the option to just make a random donation when funds allow.

It just needs to be idiot proof.

Last time you had to send me step-by-step instructions to donate through Pay Pal. If we had a "one-button" process to make a donation (that didn't require upgrading your membership) I can't be the only one who would consider using it.

But I also hate fundraisers. When the kid was in school and we had to buy Easter eggs, calendars, fudge, candy, popcorn, etc. I would always ask the same question, "Can't I just give you $20 directly and not take any of this crap?" Who needs a $45 can of popcorn?

Herein endeth the rant.

Brian

Joe,

Last time you had to send me step-by-step instructions to donate through Pay Pal. If we had a "one-button" process to make a donation (that didn't require upgrading your membership) I can't be the only one who would consider using it.

But I also hate fundraisers. When the kid was in school and we had to buy Easter eggs, calendars, fudge, candy, popcorn, etc. I would always ask the same question, "Can't I just give you $20 directly and not take any of this crap?" Who needs a $45 can of popcorn?

Herein endeth the rant.

Brian

I'll make this happen today :)

I've belonged to a number of forums on a variety of topics over the years. This is the only forum I have ever financially supported. My first membership here was a gift from our missing friend NoFlinch :(:p:p:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O and I continued it on myself afterward. I support other groups/charities, so it takes a lot for me to contribute to a website/forum, but this one really has been worth it.

As a vendor, I "donate" monthly. LOL

But as a vendor, if it was something the site needed (like a certificate for a free course) that could be raffled or auctioned (Ebay or Gunbroker style), I would be willing to contribute. I don't know how the other vendors feel, but in the interest of supporting the site and generating interest and revenue for everyone, I would donate.

Just an idea.

I recently had conversations with two people in the reloading aisle at Sportsman's Warehouse. Told them both of NWFA, and they both seemed appreciative, just as I first learned about it from another member ~6 years ago.
This site is a valuable resource to all shooters in the area. How can you get your name out besides word of mouth?

Joe,

Herein endeth the rant.

Brian

After my reply to this I went to work on trying to find the easiest solution, preferably even easier than PayPal. Unfortunately the solutions I tried didn't pan out, so it'll be PayPal for now. However, I did get the custom amounts working, so at least we have that for now. I'll try to get a better solution up and running ASAP.

For now you can go to the donate page and find the button on the sidebar.

donatesidebar.JPG

I've belonged to a number of forums on a variety of topics over the years. This is the only forum I have ever financially supported. My first membership here was a gift from our missing friend NoFlinch :(:p:p:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O and I continued it on myself afterward. I support other groups/charities, so it takes a lot for me to contribute to a website/forum, but this one really has been worth it.

Man, miss that guy! We're looking into getting the gift system back too.

It's good to hear we're your one and only ;)

As a vendor, I "donate" monthly. LOL

But as a vendor, if it was something the site needed (like a certificate for a free course) that could be raffled or auctioned (Ebay or Gunbroker style), I would be willing to contribute. I don't know how the other vendors feel, but in the interest of supporting the site and generating interest and revenue for everyone, I would donate.

Just an idea.

Absolutely! My only question would be what to do about the guys not local to you. If we could figure it out it'd be a great way to get your name out there, as it'd be attached to all of our giveaway promotions.

I recently had conversations with two people in the reloading aisle at Sportsman's Warehouse. Told them both of NWFA, and they both seemed appreciative, just as I first learned about it from another member ~6 years ago.
This site is a valuable resource to all shooters in the area. How can you get your name out besides word of mouth?

This is definitely part of our overall plan, increasing our membership numbers. There are still so many gun owners who haven't heard about NWFA. I haven't said much about it, but a while back we setup unique referral links for everyone (found inside their settings). Once we can afford it I'd like to setup small referral contests for t-shirts, gift cards, etc.

donatesidebar.JPG

There are still so many gun owners who haven't heard about NWFA.

I actually came here through Armslist. I was selling a pistol and the buyer was a member here (can't remember who that was now). He told me about NWFA, which I hadn't heard of before, and signed up that day. I do the same thing now, any time I meet someone, such as for a sale, I ask them if they're on NWFA and suggest they come here if they're not a member already.

I actually came here through Armslist. I was selling a pistol and the buyer was a member here (can't remember who that was now). He told me about NWFA, which I hadn't heard of before, and signed up that day. I do the same thing now, any time I meet someone, such as for a sale, I ask them if they're on NWFA and suggest they come here if they're not a member already.

I wonder if it'd be worth the money to advertise to NW folks on AL (using geo and/or section targeting, if available). I image it'd bring along a bunch of riff-raff, but might be worth it?
Up for listening to other suggestions on spreading the word as well :)

I wonder if it'd be worth the money to advertise to NW folks on AL (using geo and/or section targeting, if available). I image it'd bring along a bunch of riff-raff, but might be worth it?
Up for listening to other suggestions on spreading the word as well :)

Are you calling me riff-raff?? ;) o_O

That might be an idea. Even if some riff-raff do come over, you'd likely get at least some new, respectable members.

I like the idea of a raffle. I won a F/A in a raffle once.
How about raffling off a Tavor?
$20 per ticket...it worked for me once, maybe it will work again :D

Edited to add: One would have to be a paying member to participate :s0104::s0005:

See earlier in the thread - not an available option since NWFA isn't a non-profit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top