JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the thread enquiring about accomodations for the Great Eclipse and Mad Max Book of Revelation Hoedown it was suggested that a full flap holster might be considered concealed. I have been under the impression that in just about everywhere but the DPRK a holster worn openly on the belt is not concealed. Can anyone fill me in on this? I have another holster I could use.
What about in a car? I was thinking about in a zippered pistol case with the mag out.
Thanks.

I do not live in Oregon , not a Lawyer , nor Law Enforcement.
All that said....
Common sense tells me that if you are wearing your handgun in a holster of any kind* and I can see that you are wearing it ... then is not concealed.

I have a military full flap holster for my 1911 and you can still see the bottom of the butt of the pistol... It doesn't completely cover the pistol , to me this is not concealed , nor a concealable way to carry a pistol.
Andy
*Edit to ad:
"Conventional" holster designs...Not those of the "fanny pack" type.

Last Edited:
Andy is correct, any holster visibly worn in the manner for which is intended is not considered concealed, even if the design of the holster itself completely covers the weapon.

A fanny pack or something like that would most likely be considered concealed since the firearm is completely contained within the pack and isn't a holster but a pack with a "holster" (if you can call it that) inside.

I have not seen any flap holsters that completely cover the handgun and do not look like a gun holster. A fanny pack or rectangular belt 'pack' could contain anything and are meant to conceal the contents.

ORS 166.250¹ Unlawful possession of firearms
(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes
OregonLaws.org is an excellent resource

In the thread enquiring about accomodations for the Great Eclipse and Mad Max Book of Revelation Hoedown it was suggested that a full flap holster might be considered concealed. I have been under the impression that in just about everywhere but the DPRK a holster worn openly on the belt is not concealed. Can anyone fill me in on this? I have another holster I could use.
What about in a car? I was thinking about in a zippered pistol case with the mag out.
Thanks.

I think it is time for a pistol holster shape cell phone case.......but I have been known to be a bit perverse. Let the bastards wonder who is real and who is memorex.

More than a week ago, I was involved in a case where a County Judge tried to say that the use of a full flap Military holster did, in fact, make the Pistol a Concealed one. And that the wearer of the FFM holster had violated WA State law by not having a permit. Can anyone say "Axe to Grind" ??? Anyway, this thread brought the old case to mind. It was determined that the Judge was wrong and the gentleman involved even managed to collect a few dollars settlement. Many Officers declined to have their cases heard by him and he was finally removed from the Bench.:):):)

More than a week ago, I was involved in a case where a County Judge tried to say that the use of a full flap Military holster did, in fact, make the Pistol a Concealed one. ....

Interesting. Before deer season started I was scouting about in a place I'd found some very fresh and large bear tracks so I carried a pistol as backup for my bear spray -- in a full flap holster. I did take care to make sure my jacket flaps were tucked in behind the holster so they didn't cover it any way.

I checked the RCWs and didn't see anything similar to OR law cited above and since I don't want to be a test case, I guess I'll not do that again.

Interesting. Before deer season started I was scouting about in a place I'd found some very fresh and large bear tracks so I carried a pistol as backup for my bear spray -- in a full flap holster. I did take care to make sure my jacket flaps were tucked in behind the holster so they didn't cover it any way.

I checked the RCWs and didn't see anything similar to OR law cited above and since I don't want to be a test case, I guess I'll not do that again.

Are you a licensed fisherman or hunter? If so, this exception to the concealed carry law (see ORS 166.260 section 3b) might have applied to you during your hunting expedition:

166.260 3)b) "Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition." (Listed under exceptions to 166.250 -- "Unlawful Possession of a Firearm"

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top