JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my neighbor has a visitor tearing up her yard. Slowly it's working my way even though I put down insect killer every 2 months to kill flees, ants crane fly....
So I offer to take care of the mole (antifreeze down the hole kills them pretty quick) but she would rather have 15 two foot mounds of dirt in her front lawn because of how I take care of them. I have nothing nice to say about this pig...
As it is I spray her yard when she'd at work with liquid Scotts weed and feed to diminish the dandelion collection.
I have found that smoke bombs are a joke, it's illegal to use traps in WA so I'm wondering how do you guys eradicate these pests?
I'm 1/2 tempted to go out in the middle of the night and take care of it my way!:mad:

When you Find a new pile of dirt being pushed up set up a chair relax and hold a 22 at the place where the dirt is getting pushed up:s0014: nuff said

:s0071:Another way a little more quiet is to use a small treble hook with line and push the hook into the tunnel a little wait fore movement and set the hook. Land fishing

:s0071:Another way a little more quiet is to use a small treble hook with line and push the hook into the tunnel a little wait fore movement and set the hook. Land fishing

Sounds interesting:D I could sit out there with a salmon rod (not gonna mess up my fly gear) and a beer!
Years ago I had one go down the side of my driveway (before I found antifreeze) so I smashed down all the mounds and sat on the tailgate of my truck waiting with a shovel. I watched it re-push up a mound. I gave him about 6 good pushes and as he pushed I stuffed a shovel in and flipped it up!
The shovel was then used to finish that little f'er as he ran on the grass

A long garden hose connected to the tail pipe of your rig: Carbon monoxide. The connector can be as ghetto as aluminum foil and duct tape. Run the hose deep inside one of the warren holes. Stamp down the other holes.

Keep the windows in your rig open, in case the CO backs up in the cabin. 10 minutes will do it. No dead bodies. Do it at night time if she doesn't approve.

I have tried the exhaust hose and it did not work, still have some old scissor traps that i put under a 5 gallon bucket so the dogs stay away. They still work like a champ. Stupid they made then illegal.

" ...she would rather have 15 two foot mounds of dirt in her front lawn because of how I take care of them...how do you guys eradicate these pests? "

To which "pest" are you referring?...'cuz I know a guy who knows a guy ;);)...

But, If it's just the mole you want to "take care of"... buy a small bottle of "Rabbit/Deer Repellant" at Home Depot, pour it down the drain (doesn't much work anyhow). Then wash and re-fill the bottle with antifreeze and do your usual thing.
If she sees you or says anything just tell her some guy at the store said it works great because it contains coyote pee and the moles will move to a less scary place.

My understanding is your neighbor has a problem with "murdering " moles? If so, she might be ok with believing that they're just moving away,....you know, like maybe they're gonna join the Peace Corps.

Last Edited:
I deal with about 6 to 8 moles a year. They come over under the road from a farm field. Years ago I tried water, traps, trying to shoot them, baiting them a lot of things. You can trap them, it takes time and persistence.

The best way I have found is if I do not catch them working and they make a full mound, is I take the hose and wash all the dirt back down the hole. You may have to do this multiple times, they will keep coming back and making another mound,

Moles never show themselves, the blind little bastards they are. Pocket gophers will and are easily picked off with a .22, or whatever is on my belt at the time. Moles can be a foot or better laterally away and still push up the dirt. They usually work in about 4 to 6 pushes of dirt. They will make a small opening hole, fill it a bit, wait a bit and push up another small mound about 3 inches high and may 4 to 5 inches across. A few minutes later they will make another push that will be about 2 inches higher and depending on the soil there will be a piece of dirt sticking pretty much straight up. Next push they make will be fairly strong and may be in 3 or small impluses.

Quietly approach the hole and be standing directly over it during any one of these pushes with at least a 20 gauge, preferably a 12 gauge, hold it about 6 inches above the hole and let her rip when the dirt moves. The concussion and shock wave will kill the little bastard, and it will make a big hole and throw dirt every where. You probably will not even put a bit of shot on the mole, just dig up around the hole and you will find it within 6 inches usually.

This has worked for me for over 20 years. My dogs know when the shot gun is coming out,and will stand in the window and watch. When I blast the mole, they go nuts, and I let them out and they dig the mole up and crunch it a couple of times throw it around a few times. Makes them feel like they killed it.

Throw the mole back in the hole and cover it up and wait for the next one.

Umm that would work great out in the country but my neighbors might not like the 12 gauge blast. Lol, seems like most of mine do all their digging at night and I wake up to the mounds. Hate the little suckers but the neighbors that they come from do not seem to mind the little yard destroyers.

Sadly I live near a city and I have a neighbor who would quickly call the cops on my for discharging a firearm in city limits....:( I need a suppressor.................................

They thrive on Worms, nitecrawlers.
Best medicine is a 12 ga and patience.
You do not want to kill all the worms :DLOL

In town you have to use a trap.

Last Edited:
..... So Simple.... Even a Caveman can do it!!! (Hey there Jim....)

Now the following is full on not legal.... I read that somewhere :rolleyes:

2.5" 410 guage, fits in a ~certain Size pipe~. Develop the firing pin, through the drilled hole in the pipe cap, attach via drilled hole in a Mouse trap , so that the triggered trap is sprung, hitting the nail, firing pin, firing the 2 1/2" 410 mole dispatching device... Cover with up side down 5 gallon bucket, with a brick, stone, rock WEIGHT, on top, to mark that spot, and muffle the sound....

The "doorbell" is insert into the threaded end, pipe cap gently snugged down, cutt off nail, firing pin placed in hole....

I don't know nothing about it, I did not even write this, do mot look down at the end of the pipe, if you inserted a 2 1/2" Mole doorbell device.

Signed,

Anonymous... :p

When I was battling them I also found out that it was against WA law to kill them. BUT, I also found out that they do not enforce that law.

Go to just about any hardware store and look in the section that sells mole traps. If it were illegal, they couldn't sell them. ;)

I too have neighbors that would call the cops in a heartbeat if they heard a gun blast from the direction of my home.

I have found that scissor traps work the best. Set it up at night. Put it under a bucket. The blind b_stards don't like sunlight (for some reason) - and it ensures that no dog or cat will trip it by accident. Catch them on your property. :)

Or you can read-up on this thread too: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/12-gauge-gopher-mole-trap.68532/

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews